Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

England v Scotland

birch-chorley

• Site Supporter

If we see Luke Shaw again in this tournament then it's time to give up. Sterling was absolute gash & if Kane is fully fit he needs a good arse kicking. 

I'm fucked if I know why Foden was subbed off & Sterling finished 90 minutes. It's a measure of how bad it was that I was wishing Kyle Walker & Slabhead were playing. 

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Site Supporter

Think about our successful tournaments and the group stages . 66 drew against Uruguay. 86, lost to Portugal, drew against Morroco. 90 drew against Ireland, Holland and scraped a win against Egypt. 96 drew against Switzerland and up until Gazza’s goal were struggling against Scotland. 2018 lost to Belgium (ok this is arguable) You can’t judge our success on a group game. Yes today wasn’t good enough, yes today shouldn’t be lauded as a success.

But by no means should it define our ability to go on and perform in this tournament.

Come on England!! 

• Site Supporter
18 minutes ago, ErnestTurnip said:

Successful tournaments?

Well yes?

When you’ve only won one major tournament in the history of 90 years of international tournament football, then the years of 66, 86, 90, 96 and 2018 are largely defined as our best most successful tournaments. I’m struggling to see how you’d disagree? 

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, bolton in bedford said:

Always playing not to lose rather than going at trams.  Southgate also shitting it about playing anyone from the group of death. Lump on a draw on Tuesday.

I don't see it as playing not to lose, there was enough so called talented attacking players out there to win that game & Southgate picked Shaw as he is better going forward than Trippier. The big problem now for Southgate is Kane & Sterling.... both well off form. I've no doubt we will get out of this group but if those two don't improve massively & he stays with them we aren't going any further imo. 

Whatever happens Southgate needs to bin that mac asap , he looked a right twat! 😂

• Site Supporter
5 hours ago, radcliffewhite1 said:

You don’t win tournaments in the group stages

Absolutely true, and Germany are the perfect example of slow starters and good finishers.

Unfortunately, we seem all over the place; no cohesion, sluggish, and fearful. 

Love to see saka for example: someone willing to go at a defender, we seem so devoid of width and someone willing to cross the ball.

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Absolutely true, and Germany are the perfect example of slow starters and good finishers.

Unfortunately, we seem all over the place; no cohesion, sluggish, and fearful. 

Love to see saka for example: someone willing to go at a defender, we seem so devoid of width and someone willing to cross the ball.

That's Sterling's job but all we got last night was stop, turn & pass back ad infinitum. 

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, RONNIE PHILLIPS said:

That's Sterling's job but all we got last night was stop, turn & pass back ad infinitum. 

They all did that.

Sterling is always frustrating and the majority of the time runs into the defender and looses the ball.

Despite being a threat Foden didn't produce anything of note either.

Not a great fan of wide-ish players being on the wrong foot, sometimes they have to go on the outside to stretch the play.

In a similar way to how we (Bolton) play, we rely on full backs getting crosses in, however last night they produced nothing, and it was all the same.

That's why I'd like to see saka and other wide players given a go, at least from the bench- something different for the opposition to think about.

It's so narrow, that Kane is devoid of service.

• Site Supporter
21 minutes ago, Burndens Bogs said:

Englands shape & pattern of play reminds me of how Evatts Bolton play. 

Absolutely, and approximately to that of City.

At least we use a right footer on the right like isgrove, and our full backs work in tandem with them to put some balls in. OK, the quality isn't necessarily there, but it was league 2 football, and worked well enough.

We also have a player in Williams who is different to Lee, comfortable with the ball and a good passer.

The two holding lads for England are very similar. 

• Site Supporter
2 hours ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

They all did that.

Sterling is always frustrating and the majority of the time runs into the defender and looses the ball.

Despite being a threat Foden didn't produce anything of note either.

Not a great fan of wide-ish players being on the wrong foot, sometimes they have to go on the outside to stretch the play.

In a similar way to how we (Bolton) play, we rely on full backs getting crosses in, however last night they produced nothing, and it was all the same.

That's why I'd like to see saka and other wide players given a go, at least from the bench- something different for the opposition to think about.

It's so narrow, that Kane is devoid of service.

If you think Sterlings efforts last night were akin to Fodens I suggest you give you telly a wipe down. Foden & Mount tried to make things happen, Sterling however took the easy option virtually every time & spent a vast majority of the game walking. Kane was shite as he was against Croatia , no energy about him & had it been anyone else he would have been called out for it but he has credit in the bank for now, however another performance like that against the Czechs & he's giving Southgate a decision to make. 

Every time I watch Sterling play for England my blood pressure goes through the roof. He’s awful for England. Hopefully that means he’ll have a blinder for the next few matches and I have to eat humble pie. 

• Site Supporter
On 19/06/2021 at 18:31, RONNIE PHILLIPS said:

If you think Sterlings efforts last night were akin to Fodens I suggest you give you telly a wipe down. Foden & Mount tried to make things happen, Sterling however took the easy option virtually every time & spent a vast majority of the game walking. Kane was shite as he was against Croatia , no energy about him & had it been anyone else he would have been called out for it but he has credit in the bank for now, however another performance like that against the Czechs & he's giving Southgate a decision to make. 

Mount and foden did try to make things happen. To very little effect.

Sterling no worse in that regard, and irrespective of his frustrating performances, his goals and assists in recent international games are excellent- far better than I realised and for that reason it's easy to see why he plays.

So, no I don't need to clean my telly, it was clear enough that none of the top three performed particularly well.

• Site Supporter
23 hours ago, fatty said:

Every time I watch Sterling play for England my blood pressure goes through the roof. He’s awful for England. Hopefully that means he’ll have a blinder for the next few matches and I have to eat humble pie. 

Absolutely, always been the case. Number of times he makes a run with the ball and end up dispossessed on the edge of the box is amazing. Had a better season 19-20 and scored lots for City in particular. This season not so much.

Works hard and has ability, but could produce so much more.

On 19/06/2021 at 14:57, Mr Grey said:

Brilliant scenes for the Hungary goal from their supporters, that's what football is about, fuck the knee and fuck the restrictions.

Wembley last night and seeing all those empty seats for a game of that magnitude was a sorry site, it deserved a 0-0. Let's hope Budapest gets the final.

I see Oban's plan is working with some people.

I'd have a little read around why there are no restrictions in the ground..if they get the final, shows how far UEFA are prepare to look away from some of the more distastful aspects of authoritarian regimes.

Having said that, the mayor or Budapest is one of the government's strongest oppents and has done well.to at least allow peaceful.protests (only 50 allowed due to social Covid restrictions - despite allowing full stadiums, which shows where the government's real priorities lie in terms.of using the soft power of football) 

It'll be a real shame if they get the final, plays right into Obans hands.