Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Jean-Marc Bosman

tomski

• Moderators
3 hours ago, Naytch said:

I suppose the Bosman ruling led to us selling Cahill for a shit amount rather than him going for free 6 months later.

Wasn't Matty Taylor another we paid alot for who ended up leaving on a free after a few years? There must be quite a few like that.

We signed him for £3.5m

123 games and 23 goals later we sold him for £1.5m

Actually one of our best bits of business from our PL days, after Anelka

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, birch-chorley said:

What happened before Bowman, surely a club couldn’t just keep a player against his will if the contract expired and he wanted out, tribunal job? 

Sounds like they just had to agree a fee 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.skysports.com/amp/football/news/11096/10100134/how-the-bosman-rule-changed-football-20-years-on

in 1990, a 25-year-old Bosman was coming to the end of his contract at Belgian side RFC Liege. His two-year stint had not worked out as he had hoped, and the Belgian midfielder was offered an improved contract by French second division side Dunkirk.

Before the Bosman ruling, a player could not leave at the end of their deal unless that club agreed to let him go on a free, or that club received an agreed fee from a buying club.

Liege demanded a fee, far out of reach for Dunkirk, and when the deal fell through, Bosman's wages at Liege were cut by around 75 per cent.

24 minutes ago, ZicoKelly said:

Sounds like they just had to agree a fee 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.skysports.com/amp/football/news/11096/10100134/how-the-bosman-rule-changed-football-20-years-on

in 1990, a 25-year-old Bosman was coming to the end of his contract at Belgian side RFC Liege. His two-year stint had not worked out as he had hoped, and the Belgian midfielder was offered an improved contract by French second division side Dunkirk.

Before the Bosman ruling, a player could not leave at the end of their deal unless that club agreed to let him go on a free, or that club received an agreed fee from a buying club.

Liege demanded a fee, far out of reach for Dunkirk, and when the deal fell through, Bosman's wages at Liege were cut by around 75 per cent.

When you read that, feels fair enough for me, contract ends and you can walk 

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, Biggish Dave said:

I remember tribunals sitting, not sure if contracts had run out though or they were general transfers too.

I was gutted we lost Caldwell to Bristol City for 2 Mars bars and a twix

Do you reckon we had to give Marine a bag of footballs in addition to £500 for McAteer or it was just good will

Got to be my favourite fee from them days

11 hours ago, birch-chorley said:

What happened before Bowman, surely a club couldn’t just keep a player against his will if the contract expired and he wanted out, tribunal job? 

You could keep the registration till 35 years old. Also reduce the wages considerably. Although in reality it didn’t happen often and tribunal fee was sorted.

On 11/12/2020 at 19:43, ZicoKelly said:

We signed him for £3.5m

123 games and 23 goals later we sold him for £1.5m

Actually one of our best bits of business from our PL days, after Anelka

Ah I didn't realise we'd sold him. I liked Taylor, did a very good job for us.