Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

What makes you a boltonian and why you love it

Mona

• Members
6 hours ago, Burndens Bogs said:

Must admit, i don’t live in Bolton anymore (but i’m not far away) and i must start by saying that in many ways the town has been ruined from the place it was when i grew up.

The Marketplace apart, the town centre has become a shithole and is no longer a nice place to visit.

I’m immensely proud of my Bolton roots though and it’s the people that make it special.

I remember at the start of last season after we had almost ceased to exist as a club, i took my daughter to Wycombe to watch our kids bravely perform against a far superior team of experienced men. The support for our boys was incredible that day & brought a tear to my eye. To be stood their shouting our support for 90 mins, for what we all knew what was more than likely going to end in defeat made me proud of our support which was very loud and proud that day.

Wycombe fans congratulated us on our “fantastic support” outside after the game - that made me feel proud of our town and our people.

Another one was in that square in Guimaraes,Portugal, on the day of the game, the flags, the singing - no trouble apart from a few high spirits and almost every person a born and bred Boltonian. I had a few specks of dust in my eye that day, but felt very proud (and pissed) 

The game wasn’t the best but the trip was unreal.

Working in Manchester for 10 years I have properly lost my Bolton accent, however I do still say buz when I’m referring to bus wankers 

I’m a salfordian by birth and have now lived outside of Bolton for the same number of years as I lived within the town. 

it’s still my home And always will be and no matter how shit it has become in places I’m still very proud to call it home and when anyone asks me where I’m from my reply is Bolton and that will never change. 

• Members
4 hours ago, Carlos said:

I was in town the other day, you can romanticise all you like, the back of Mawdesley Street (one of the nicest in Bolton) was overrun with rats, same with the back of Hen and Chickens.

Then there was a bloke having a shit on Deansgate, outside the new sweet parlour on the corner of Whittakers. Unless he was trying to imbibe a chocolate smoothie through his arsehole. The only busy bit was JustEat drivers clogging up the road near Maccies.

Right this might be a regular thing. Few weeks ago I went to pick our Maudes contact lenses up from specsavers in town, parked up on silverwell street walked through nelson square and there was a lass leant against a bin curling one out. 
She saw me looking and didn’t budge, fair play

9 hours ago, embankment said:

My Birth Certificate .

It also says Bolton - Lancashire.

Rivington Pike.

Burnden Park.

The Reebok

I drank in - New Zealand Chief . 

The Swan Cellar

Prince Bill 

Trotters.

Saraspariĺla - in the old market hall.

Worsleys butchers ( rip Les).

Middlebrook.

Seccy Bridge 

Hanging over seccy bridge waiting for the steam train 

great 👍 

I don't live in Bolton anymore but it is very much where I'm from, I'm probably guilty of remembering growing up there with rose coloured glasses.

Bolton is different to it's neighbours, I like the local humour, my Birth Certificate states Haslam Maternity Home and I have "Made in Bolton" tattooed on my belly button 🙂

6 hours ago, Carlos said:

I was in town the other day, you can romanticise all you like, the back of Mawdesley Street (one of the nicest in Bolton) was overrun with rats, same with the back of Hen and Chickens.

Then there was a bloke having a shit on Deansgate, outside the new sweet parlour on the corner of Whittakers. Unless he was trying to imbibe a chocolate smoothie through his arsehole. The only busy bit was JustEat drivers clogging up the road near Maccies.

Didn't need to look me in the eyes for so long though, you weirdo. 

6 hours ago, Rudy said:

The game wasn’t the best but the trip was unreal.

Working in Manchester for 10 years I have properly lost my Bolton accent, however I do still say buz when I’m referring to bus wankers 

How the fuck do you lose an accent by working a few miles down the road? You still live in Bolton.

• Site Supporter

I worked in Warrington for twelve years, living in Widnes for part of that, completely lost my Bolton accent to what I'd describe as a bland North Western accent.

Been back in Bolton since 2000 and all my mates from Warrington/Widnes comment that I sound like I did in 1988.

It's very easy to fall into another accent, ask Steve Maclaren, and Escobarp (he even types in a Scottish accent)

8 minutes ago, Alf Hartigan said:

I worked in Warrington for twelve years, living in Widnes for part of that, completely lost my Bolton accent to what I'd describe as a bland North Western accent.

Been back in Bolton since 2000 and all my mates from Warrington/Widnes comment that I sound like I did in 1988.

It's very easy to fall into another accent, ask Steve Maclaren, and Escobarp (he even types in a Scottish accent)

@bolty58 must be 75% Bruce.

2 minutes ago, Alf Hartigan said:

Reading your posts is like reading an Irving Welsh book, I might have said this before, had a few beers.

Genuinely don’t see it myself. Few words I’ve adopted as I like them and also it’s the dialect I hear more than any other so I’m going to pick a few up after near 15years. 

and it’s irvine 😁

• Site Supporter
2 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

Genuinely don’t see it myself. Few words I’ve adopted as I like them and also it’s the dialect I hear more than any other so I’m going to pick a few up after near 15years. 

and it’s irvine 😁

Not got a problem with it, just observations, love the way the Scottish pronounce the word 'Wanderers'

Always seems better than our own 'Wondrers' pronunciation.

Can't believe I spelt Irvine wrong, massive fan of his books, just not read them for a while.

1 minute ago, Alf Hartigan said:

Not got a problem with it, just observations, love the way the Scottish pronounce the word 'Wanderers'

Always seems better than our own 'Wondrers' pronunciation.

Can't believe I spelt Irvine wrong, massive fan of his books, just not read them for a while.

Yeah he’s a fantastic author. Fucking tit on Twitter though 😁