Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Trampmere (H)

Steejay

• Site Supporter
4 minutes ago, dusan nikolic said:

I think your right . Isgrove was a massive disappointment for me , plenty of good control on the turn but his passing and crossing was nothing short of atrocious. 

I think that’s twice I’ve agreed with you, maybe we are drinking something different to everyone else 

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

Exactly, time and time again we get into good areas and make the wrong decision or play a bad ball.

We’ve got the best striker in the league and he ends up coming deep to get the ball and create things himself because he just doesn’t get quality service. Our “wingbacks” are shite, Crawford has been terrible all season and Delfounso is either brilliant or terrible.

I’m convinced that our best chance of changing that is by getting Sarce further forward, but our midfield options are so poor that it’s hard to figure out a viable alternative.

I know we’re in L2, and so the quality is not going to be great, but when you see Delfounso fail to put a through ball into anywhere of at least 10 yards of space which would put Doyle in one on one, there’s nothing more frustrating!

Good summary that, well said.  It still seems wierd to me to be saying we're short of midfield options when Darcy cant even get a run out from the bench.  I don't care which midfield position he plays in, I am saying he will improve this team, others can disagree all they want.

3 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Good summary that, well said.  It still seems wierd to me to be saying we're short of midfield options when Darcy cant even get a run out from the bench.  I don't care which midfield position he plays in, I am saying he will improve this team, others can disagree all they want.

He certainly couldn't have done any worse .

• Site Supporter
2 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

But when he’s been on the pitch he’s hardly lit up the league. If it’s a choice between the leagues biggest contributions to assists or a squad player who has potential, then for me Crawford coming on isn’t a ridiculous decision 

• Site Supporter

To get the best out of Darcy, it needs players behind him to cover him. I’m yet to be convinced by him to be honest. I really don’t know what he is. Not a striker, not a midfielder. Scholes type? Maybe but needs far more about him.

Far greater problems to solve first though

8 minutes ago, desperado said:

But when he’s been on the pitch he’s hardly lit up the league. If it’s a choice between the leagues biggest contributions to assists or a squad player who has potential, then for me Crawford coming on isn’t a ridiculous decision 

He's joint seventh with four, and hasn't been credited with an assist for weeks.

There isn't just one answer to our problems, but the thing with Darcy is that he has a first touch that's better than anyone else in our squad. That at least might help us get forward quicker. It's fucking infuriating to watch us lose opportunities because we're too slow, or just lose possession.

That was frustrating beyond belief today. Watching it with one eye on Boris's speech made it even worse

Sarcevic looked a good player at this level with Plymouth because he was played well forward and not saddled with too much defensive responsibility. Top of a diamond with Tutte or Lee at base of it and we might get more out of him. Unfortunately, our squad is so unbalanced we have four or five like Sarcevic who can only play when they're allowed, are non existent without the ball and need at least one if not two scrappers behind them doing the dirty work. 

Doyle needs more robust support up front, especially in spells where we aren't in control of the game. Delfouneso is a luxury, has obvious ability and can score a goal but loses possession far too easily far too often.

Our back three is also so shaky that it needs at least one if not two holding players in front of them. If Tutte and Lee are both fit and ready at same time I'd play them both, to give us a solid and consistent foundation to avoid giving cheap goals away and then go on to play the fancy, creative stuff 

This window, with his newly granted full control, will show us a bit about Evatt, and whether he's prepared to admit that he needs to flex and adapt his approach (and get the bodies in to make it work), so we win enough games to get us in contention come May. At the moment his master plan looks naive and stubborn in equal measure

• Site Supporter
3 minutes ago, Mr Grey said:

Good rational post fella, usually I'm at that point, but unfortunately that has pissed me right off today.

Cheers for the perspective 👍🏻

We are all just so passionate about our results. I rarely post during the game, but broke that rule today. I quoted you at half time hoping we would turn this around to make our evening better, but it wasn’t to be. I’m praying our consistent turn around will come sooner rather than later. I believe it will , keep the faith 👏

• Site Supporter
6 minutes ago, Mr Grey said:

This 🖕.... and will it fuckers like

I don’t reckon promotion would get 8k season ticket holders either. A fair few on here are relatively affluent and would renew but there are thousands who won’t come what May.

I’ll be surprised if we sell 4000 next year, whatever league we are in

2 minutes ago, Mr Grey said:

This 🖕.... and will it fuckers like

Like I said many times mate FV will only be budgeting on one season in league 2 so likes of sarce/ Doyle on good contracts will need to be paid for

if this fizzles out to a mid table finish fans simply won’t buy into his chat like this season 

Depressing day after waking up a bit christmassy, shit result and bad boris news.

Last time i felt like this we got dicked at Fulham on the same day they found them kids that Huntley killed.

It was summer and sat outside drinking till it got light and still felt depressed.

19 minutes ago, desperado said:

I'm a Crawford fan and would normally allow him a couple of bad games because he has something nobody else has, but accept he had to be dropped the way he was playing.  So no problem with him coming on today, and he had our best (only?) effort and generally looked sharper than most.  Not sure how you can judge Darcy though, his entire league minutes probably add upto less than 90 minutes, not once has he been allowed to grow into a game and feel a part of it.  Other players are allowed to have a bad 45 minutes and stay on (I dont need to name them) but Darcy isnt given the luxury of showing what he can do.

56 minutes ago, Biggish Dave said:

Fonz isn’t a good player imo, I’d rather become tougher to beat by sticking an extra body in midfield but giving Sarce licence to get up alongside Doyle

Apart from a couple of away goals I’ve been very disappointed overall with S.

He ain’t a leader on the pitch and his overall play has been average at best.

Those things combined means he shouldn’t be captain.

2 minutes ago, Mr Grey said:

This could be the case, so we he'd better start kicking on soon, the 2nd half of the season needs to be top of the table form.

He needs to recruit well in January for sure but staying down will have serious consequences 

39 minutes ago, Biggish Dave said:

To get the best out of Darcy, it needs players behind him to cover him. I’m yet to be convinced by him to be honest. I really don’t know what he is. Not a striker, not a midfielder. Scholes type? Maybe but needs far more about him.

Far greater problems to solve first though

He's a central midfielder.  Wherever Isgrove or Thomasson played today - Darcy would in my opinion have offered more (and I like Thomasson, good vision, played well last half hour).  Has an energy that I dont see in other players, and his dead ball delivery last season was a highlight.  Can play a pass, doesnt sit and admire, attacks the space and looks to link up again.  Not a ball winner but will still win more challenges than all the other alternative midfielders in my opinion.  Its starting to look bizarre now when you think of how many players have been preferred to him, that we'd never heard of 3 months ago, not only central midfield but out wide (Hickman etc).

First game I've turned off this season before the end.

Felt like we'd taken a big step forward against Cheltenham. Today we took another big step backwards.

When you have so many players in one game incapable of finding a white shirt with the ball then the result is inevitable.

So, so poor.

14 minutes ago, Ani said:

I think the thing that was especially shit today was the number of simple 5 yard passes that went straight to them. Under no pressure whatsoever. 

Especially when in training most of it seems to be based on quick passing of the ball one touch football and closing down quickly . We can’t do any of it 

16 minutes ago, captainmed said:

Apart from a couple of away goals I’ve been very disappointed overall with S.

He ain’t a leader on the pitch and his overall play has been average at best.

Those things combined means he shouldn’t be captain.

If Sarcevic isnt captain material I'm not sure who is in our squad.  He does try to drive the team forward and is probably the only player that switches from a defensive to an attacking position quickly.  Excluding Gilks (I'm not a fan of goalies being captains) we're really short of leaders, every game feels like its played like a friendly.

All the stats and data in the world can't tell you whether players have mental fortitude, focus, leadership qualities. You'd expect though that Evatt would know enough about a fair number of those signed to be able to make an informed judgement on them. 

All I've seen so far is a squad with loads who like to play the game how he wants it playing but hardly any with enough of those mental qualities. We look nice, easy on the eye but ultimately as weak as piss and a soft touch that will finish a lot nearer the bottom than the top of this league unless Evatt has a serious and swift rethink

13 minutes ago, kent_white said:

Needs pace on the wings this system - and wing back that can cross. We don't have that without Kioso.

What I still don't understand is what our second striker is supposed to be doing? 

Hickman when he played drove forward and  liked to get a first time ball across into the box . If we get the ball in these strikers will score . 

1 minute ago, Farnywhite said:

Hickman when he played drove forward and  liked to get a first time ball across into the box . If we get the ball in these strikers will score . 

Hasn’t been seen since getting hauled off against Newport