Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

My lad just asked me - Dad, if you could go to one BWFC game again, which would it be?

Spider

8 hours ago, Ghana White said:

Wolves at burnden in the play offs.. better atmosphere for 45 minutes before kick off then pretty much every other match I've been too during the game.

Was that the game were lofty was the 12th man

and the wolves fans threw pies at him 😂😂😂

and mcginlay assaulted their star player

steve bull???

Edited by Mona

guimaeres portugal

I remember the sagres & superbok delivery trucks in their droves and the women in the square with their washing hanging out the apartment windows waving at us all

best reception ever 😂

Edited by Mona
Remembered the other beer 🍺

• Members
Just now, Steejay said:

Ha, me neither, fell asleep at the back but woke up just before Vaz Te smashed in that fucking goal. 

I knocked my owd fellas hop flask out of his hand and never to be seen again when that went in

1 hour ago, Mona said:

steve bull???

Lofty getting the pies lobbed him at was 96/97 (Battle of Burnden, 3-0 win) rather than the play off game. Also my first (and only, sadly) game at Burnden. 

1 hour ago, Mona said:

steve bull???

Couple of years later that, I can remember this one wolves kicked off and their first 3 passes were greeted with a deafening boo, 4th pass went straight to a Bolton player. You could see everyone look at each other and think shit we've got them here, we can help win this.. incredible atmosphere 

That Wolves play off was a fantastic atmosphere. The BEN had made a point of geeing everyone up and encouraging folk to get behind the team.  The first 20 minutes were like them games you'd see in Turkey, where every touch by the away team was whistled, booed and abused.  When McGinlay fired in that first the roof nearly came off!

31 minutes ago, Duck Egg said:

That Wolves play off was a fantastic atmosphere. The BEN had made a point of geeing everyone up and encouraging folk to get behind the team.  The first 20 minutes were like them games you'd see in Turkey, where every touch by the away team was whistled, booed and abused.  When McGinlay fired in that first the roof nearly came off!

Bolton fans certainly rose to Rioch’s appeal to create a passionate partisan atmosphere, it was the best i ever witnessed in that ground.

8 hours ago, Burndens Bogs said:

Bolton fans certainly rose to Rioch’s appeal to create a passionate partisan atmosphere, it was the best i ever witnessed in that ground.

Probably that and Swindon in cup 

5 minutes ago, Whitestar said:

The game when Keegan mania came to Burnden and we were 3-0 up at halftime, Keegan Keegan whats the score? Blasting out and fun & games all up manny rd before and after.

That was a match that came to  mind for me too, more so than the 3-3 draw with Newcastle.Peter Reid and Tony Henry too good for their midfield, thousands of unhappy Geordies ripping up advertising signs on the Embankment

17 hours ago, miamiwhite said:

My match would be the 3-3 draw against Newcastle in the FA Cup in 1976.

Huge crowd at Burnden, match that had everything, and when the FA Cup truly was a special tournament.  

For the young posters who haven't seen the FA Cup when it really was special, you missed an absolute treat.

Totally agree with you on this 

To see Burnden Park at its finest , when the Lever end was terracing and not full of plastic seats and to see the Embankment without the Normid superstore once again would be very special , especially with 40 odd thousand fans looking on. 

Malcolm Macdonalds 2nd goal was awesome - best game I ever saw at BP 

Headlined on match of the day that night 

Highlights are on You Tube If you have never seen it 

Many, many excellent candidates for that one game to revisit.

For myself, Jan 26th 1991 FA Cup 4th Round away to the filth.

After many a barren year and visits to some of the arse ends of the nation, I think this was the start of the new era that led to so many of those mentioned even happening:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-dY5Z9sJI4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPn8P4LxCHk

10k vociferous Wanderers on the terraces, squashed to f**k but didn't give a f**k, Nat and the 58 cup team on the pitch before the game, the reception when the players took the field, not being disgraced (why did you have to make decent contact Phillie ... scuff it man!!!), copy of the Pink picked up and match report read numerous times on journey home and feeling pleased as punch (if only as good looking!!!) because "Bolton are back, Bolton are back ... whoooa, whoooa!!!"

58 minutes ago, only1stig said:

Many, many excellent candidates for that one game to revisit.

For myself, Jan 26th 1991 FA Cup 4th Round away to the filth.

After many a barren year and visits to some of the arse ends of the nation, I think this was the start of the new era that led to so many of those mentioned even happening:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-dY5Z9sJI4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPn8P4LxCHk

10k vociferous Wanderers on the terraces, squashed to f**k but didn't give a f**k, Nat and the 58 cup team on the pitch before the game, the reception when the players took the field, not being disgraced (why did you have to make decent contact Phillie ... scuff it man!!!), copy of the Pink picked up and match report read numerous times on journey home and feeling pleased as punch (if only as good looking!!!) because "Bolton are back, Bolton are back ... whoooa, whoooa!!!"

Of all the Wanderers games you could have picked for your one off revisit, you chose a defeat? 😄

Edited by Burndens Bogs

• Site Supporter
2 hours ago, Benny The Ball said:

Totally agree with you on this 

To see Burnden Park at its finest , when the Lever end was terracing and not full of plastic seats and to see the Embankment without the Normid superstore once again would be very special , especially with 40 odd thousand fans looking on. 

Malcolm Macdonalds 2nd goal was awesome - best game I ever saw at BP 

Headlined on match of the day that night 

Highlights are on You Tube If you have never seen it 

I think this was the only home game I attended with my dad. He wasn’t really a football fan. I wouldn’t mind, I’d been attending games with my mates for a couple f years anyway. Maybe he just fancied a big cup game.

We even went to Leeds for second replay together although we didnt make it as far as the game having never got off the M62. He also took me and three mates to Everton for League Cup Semi-Final where he got his wallet nicked.

5 minutes ago, marple whites said:

So many, but white hot at anfield, I though I was going to have a heart attack after we opened the scoring !

It's easy to forget (a) what a big deal the FA cup was in those days and (b) just how massive Liverpool were.  Nobody won at Anfield in those days, never mind sides from division 3.

The following day I bought one of every single morning paper on the way into work.

• Site Supporter
14 minutes ago, Duck Egg said:

It's easy to forget (a) what a big deal the FA cup was in those days and (b) just how massive Liverpool were.  Nobody won at Anfield in those days, never mind sides from division 3.

The following day I bought one of every single morning paper on the way into work.

I think most of us thought we'd blown our chance when we lost a 2 goal lead at Burnden & went to Anfield for the occasion & would have taken not getting dicked as a good result. To score so early & play so well was beyond all expectations really. That goal galvanised the team & the fans together... They were playing 8,500 or so of us 😊

1 minute ago, RONNIE PHILLIPS said:

I think most of us thought we'd blown our chance when we lost a 2 goal lead at Burnden & went to Anfield for the occasion & would have taken not getting dicked as a good result. To score so early & play so well was beyond all expectations really. That goal galvanised the team & the fans together... They were playing 8,500 or so of us 😊

I was working at Strangeways at the time during construction, blagged a lift straight to Anfield off the scousers, supped in the Winchester pub in my working tackle, stood out a mile. Train back to Manc full of St Helens lads, and the 26 back to Leigh. What a fucking great night,