Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Favourite Supping Areas In London.

leigh white

I used to like an area called Shepherds Market, behind the Hilton hotel at the bottom of Mayfair. Not been for yonks but there were a few pubs/bars/restaurants. For the first 3 of our run of Wembley trips (1986,1989,1991) we boozed in Kilburn, plenty of boozers back then & on the same tube line as Wembley iirc. Happy days. Also used to have a few mates from the East End and always enjoyed nights in Bethnal Green back in the day.Also, Blackheath south of the river used to be a decent place for a few scoops.

Edited by Burndens Bogs

I used to live and work down there, not sure how many still exist.

Earl of Essex in Islington is where we had the mass building site piss-ups, that was where I got the taste for Newquay Steam. Brian May from Queen and that Angie bint from EastEnders used to prop the bar up... and the band Wedding Present, I only know that because our QS knobbed the singer after a binge. 

The Blue Anchor in Hammersmith and The Dove had lots of totty in tight keks

Orange Tree in Richmond and pubs nearby was our favourite Friday night, good ale and lots of talent (theatre in the pub, lots of luvvies)

Worked as a barman in Acton but that was local pub, but the Castle was good if you wanted to rub shoulders with telly people as it was down the road form the rehearsal studio, we all had a bit of a sesh with John Thaw there.

I like London because you only have to step back from the tourist streets and you'll find a proper boozer like the Millstone or Alma

When we played Millwall in the cup, me, my two lads and a mate had a drink in a pub near London Bridge. Can’t remember the name. After a couple of pints, about 30 rough looking geezers walked in and the mate said. ‘Better get out of here, look what’s just walked in.

My youngest said, it’s ok, I went to school with half of them.

I may have told this story before and the numbers may have gone up a little. 

15 minutes ago, Dimron said:

I used to live and work down there, not sure how many still exist.

Earl of Essex in Islington is where we had the mass building site piss-ups, that was where I got the taste for Newquay Steam. Brian May from Queen and that Angie bint from EastEnders used to prop the bar up... and the band Wedding Present, I only know that because our QS knobbed the singer after a binge. 

The Blue Anchor in Hammersmith and The Dove had lots of totty in tight keks

Orange Tree in Richmond and pubs nearby was our favourite Friday night, good ale and lots of talent (theatre in the pub, lots of luvvies)

Worked as a barman in Acton but that was local pub, but the Castle was good if you wanted to rub shoulders with telly people as it was down the road form the rehearsal studio, we all had a bit of a sesh with John Thaw there.

I like London because you only have to step back from the tourist streets and you'll find a proper boozer like the Millstone or Alma

Your mate knobbed David Gedge?

Hundreds and hundreds. Too many to mention really. Love going out in Brixton and Peckham levels is good if staying local. Decent micro breweries that are great in summer. Love a lot of the pubs around Goodge Street and going down to Oxford Street. So many great little places in Soho.  Mentioned the King Charles before inbetween kings Cross and Cally Rd. There are also some great backstreet boozers if you head directly away from Kings Cross up to UCL. Nice victorian pubs rounds Spittlefields.... as I say, loads.

I'd avoid Shoreditch at weekends as the Essex mob seem to turn up, but round Liverpool St there are some good places.

Moving away from Victoria Station where all the new eateries are there are also a couple of really nice CAMRA pubs if thats your thing.

Ah man, wish this lockdown was over....