Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Townie or Suburbanite ?

leigh white

4 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

When buying our house, it was considered to be an absolute necessity to be within 20-25 minutes walking distance of the George & Dragon in Leigh. Never mind the country, I couldn’t even live another half a mile up Wigan Road. 

Alian terroritory past the Tamer pub.

• Site Supporter
16 minutes ago, MancWanderer said:

Chew Moor was almost perfect for me. Rural(ish) but close enough to everything 

Having now lived about 4 miles from the centre of Manc for 17 years I’d struggle to live too far from a city centre 

That’s the beauty of Harwood. Right on the edge of the bit where rural meets urban but with no industry. (Apart from the quarry and the resulting mountain alongside it)

10 minute drive into town (at selected times) or 10 minute walk to the countryside.

I’ve lived here for 56 of my 58 years.

• Site Supporter
44 minutes ago, MickyD said:

That’s the beauty of Harwood. Right on the edge of the bit where rural meets urban but with no industry. (Apart from the quarry and the resulting mountain alongside it)

10 minute drive into town (at selected times) or 10 minute walk to the countryside.

I’ve lived here for 56 of my 58 years.

Love how you can walk from Harwood to the Pack Horse at Affetside which is a proper country pub (or it was till they renovated it).

• Site Supporter
2 hours ago, Good Knee said:

Love how you can walk from Harwood to the Pack Horse at Affetside which is a proper country pub (or it was till they renovated it).

Continue on the old pack horse track into Hawkshaw, lots of pathways all over for a good circular route.

Born+ Bred in Bolton, but now live Semi rural, edge of a village,i can see Winter hill from my window - 15 mins drive from Bolton town centre and 15 mins from the centre of Wiggin.

Love it, loads of decent walks where i hardly see a soul + a smattering of decent pubs dotted around.

Wouldn't move back to Bolton, but still have loads of friends and family there.