Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Crawley Town (H)

burnden

8 minutes ago, Farrelli said:

Totally agree.  Very average teams are turning up and not having to work that hard for the three points. 

The objective at present should be about making us harder to beat.  Then we can build from there.

We have more than enough decent L2 players to do that.

It’s because we are an average team until we sign better players. People need to accept that

20 minutes ago, masi 51 said:

Thats it with a DOF you dont really know.......will see in the next month what type of player Evatt can attract

Let’s hope TP made them signings because a good chunk of them are piss poor

20 minutes ago, waddy256 said:

How Evatt didnt recruit :
Lofty , Puskas , Di stefano , Maxim Tsigalko , To Madiera , The Ghost of David Jack , Freddy Adu and the cousin of George Weah is just beyond me .

i am sure the cousin of George Weah turned out for us a time or two this season

12 minutes ago, superkev said:

It’s because we are an average team until we sign better players. People need to accept that

I can accept most things about BWFC but I can't accept us being so easy to beat, a complete soft touch.

Port Vale and Tranmere are no better than us but scored nine goals between them.

They did it by being organised and exploiting our weaknesses rather than amazing football.

Today was much better but the system is not suiting our players, especially at home.

• Members
32 minutes ago, Farnywhite said:

Just read evett interview may be a change on the way 

“I changed shape in the end and longer term I think that’s the way I see it, I was just trying to get us through to this 10-day window where I can get bodies in, “ 

What was the shape in the end?

12 minutes ago, Rudy said:

Not to sure if he was talking about Doyle playing more central second half and not pulling wide . 

Didn’t notice any change at the back unless he was referring to playing with one centre half in the last couple of minutes 😀

• Site Supporter
20 minutes ago, Rudy said:

Not sure whether it was a formation change or not.

Only thing I noticed was Isgrove playing higher up, so maybe he’d gone 4-3-3 with Brockbank at right back?

1 hour ago, jules_darby said:

I’d accept that if I thought he was eeking the most our of what we have now (as limited as some are)

I don’t know what’s so unreasonable as believing that player quality and Manager’s craft both need to improve us enough to challenge 

No I agree they both need to improve. IE has only been at it for a couple of years so he's learning on the job too. But I think if you put half decent players into most of these positions then the system will work fine.

6 minutes ago, kent_white said:

No I agree they both need to improve. IE has only been at it for a couple of years so he's learning on the job too. But I think if you put half decent players into most of these positions then the system will work fine.

May be evatt needs a old head at the side of him as a number two . Is mate Holloway isn’t doing anything at the minute 

3 hours ago, hughmungus said:

Not gloating mate, far from it, just cant believe how far down the shitter Evatt is taking us and just dont have time for people defending him defeat after shit defeat. Have never criticised the club.

BWFC in my blood but just have zero confidence in Evatt, and it fucking heartbreaking losing to teams of this level week in week out.

Just sad that some would rather lower themselves to abusing someone with a different opinion rather than trying to explain something in the manager I may have missed.

Why do you only post when we lose ? 

I am a million miles off being a happy clapper. If you think IE is to blame for where the club is today you are ignoring 10 years of mismanagement. 

3 hours ago, kent_white said:

It's far from apathy believe me. 

We are where we are on merit.

You can wish a Knight in shining armour is going to roll up and romp us back up the leagues all you like, but eventually you've got to back a manager. 

Pretty sure you've called for us to sack each of the last 3 or 4? 

With some justification surely?  And I'm not saying I want IE sacked, although plenty managers have gone with better records, but if someone does think he should go its hardly the most outlandish statement to make considering the car crash that is our home form.  And all the previous managers weren't upto it, a pity it took so long to get rid of them.

5 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

plenty managers have gone with better records

I can't think of any that have gone after 25 games - calling for his head at this stage is idiotic as far as I'm concerned.

Barring an absolute unmitigated disaster (which I don't think this is) - any manager should be given at least a couple of seasons. Especially given the state we're in at the moment. Anything less than that and the club looks like a shambles in my opinion.

It's too easy to just shout 'sack the manager' as soon as things aren't going our way.

Everyone must have moments when it hits them how far we've fallen. Those 10 / 15 year ago highlights that pop up are a killer. Today is a bad one for me, i used to go to the occasional crawley game as a local when they were struggling in conference with big financial problems. We lost to them today, at home, in the league. Worst thing is its not even a shock. Cant get my head round it. 

3 hours ago, SalCity Biggie said:

If I were IE, I'd have a look at last seasons Swindon team where isgrove was an assist machine for the phenomenal goal scoring machine in Doyle that we have and copy it. Amend a little so it looks like my own formation and just get the Best out of them.

Oh and sarc too at plymouth

Its a bit of a myth that Isgrove was an assist machine. Set up 3 goals for Doyle in his 29 appearances, he flatters to deceive and how he gets in the team ahead of Darcy is anyone's guess (cue anti-Darcy comments - I've heard them all before - he's better than Isgrove offensively and defensively).

14 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Its a bit of a myth that Isgrove was an assist machine. Set up 3 goals for Doyle in his 29 appearances, he flatters to deceive and how he gets in the team ahead of Darcy is anyone's guess (cue anti-Darcy comments - I've heard them all before - he's better than Isgrove offensively and defensively).

Opinions innit but I honestly dont think he is.

Isgrove is the only player with any kind of spark at the minute.

3 hours ago, jules_darby said:

I’d accept that if I thought he was eeking the most our of what we have now (as limited as some are)

I don’t know what’s so unreasonable as believing that player quality and Manager’s craft both need to improve us enough to challenge 

Too true.  It doesn't matter who we sign, if we're just signing one left wing back, what happens when he gets injured or suspended?  It would be back to having a right back on the left wing.  He would continue the poor use of resources available, we could paper over the cracks by signing the best league 2 players ever but it doesn't alter the fact that the manager needs to do better than he's done in the first 4 months.

10 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Too true.  It doesn't matter who we sign, if we're just signing one left wing back, what happens when he gets injured or suspended?  It would be back to having a right back on the left wing.  He would continue the poor use of resources available, we could paper over the cracks by signing the best league 2 players ever but it doesn't alter the fact that the manager needs to do better than he's done in the first 4 months.

The idea is probably to end up with a squad where you've got cover for every position. 

You ain't gonna do that in one window. 

Only started playing at 1-0 down.

gilks had already made a couple of good saves as well.

yes, had loads of chances in the last half hour, but should have plated like that from the start.

3 home wins tells its own tale and still not been greatly impressed with any team we have played.

again, pleased we haven’t had to go and watch it, as can start drinking heavily at 4-50

38 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Do we have any examples of darcy doing anything in a Bolton shirt?

Isgrove has his moments (two good ones late on at Carlisle) but is another that's lightweight and only delivers in fits and starts. Had contributed nothing till those couple of moments last week and very little again today till a couple of decent deliveries late on. To be fair to him another unsuited by the formation and balance around him, not a wing back by any stretch of the imagination, in a 4-4-2 or 4-2-3-1 he'd probably be better.

Back to the recurring issue really, we have too many in our squad who want the game to be played to suit them, think it's ok to show something once every 15 or 20 minutes and want somebody else to do the dirty work for them. Sarcevic is another, I wasn't for joining in the pile on to him after the first five or six games as it was far too early and a bit unfair at that point but 20+ games in he's of the same ilk, would be good just flitting around near Doyle and Delf with no other responsibilities but as we're set up now offers nowhere near enough over 90 minutes. Steve Eyre going on about him getting his second wind and coming into the game today in last 15 minutes was laughable, he'd been missing for an hour, lumbering around watching the game go by and waving his arms about. A nice little ball or a bit of combination play now and again isn't enough from a team captain

1 hour ago, ph31 said:

Everyone must have moments when it hits them how far we've fallen. Those 10 / 15 year ago highlights that pop up are a killer. Today is a bad one for me, i used to go to the occasional crawley game as a local when they were struggling in conference with big financial problems. We lost to them today, at home, in the league. Worst thing is its not even a shock. Cant get my head round it. 

I posted something similar this week and, similarly, today was one of those days for me, as I recall watching Crawley’s first ever game in the Conference at Leigh RMI in August 2004. 

54 minutes ago, kent_white said:

I can't think of any that have gone after 25 games - calling for his head at this stage is idiotic as far as I'm concerned.

Barring an absolute unmitigated disaster (which I don't think this is) - any manager should be given at least a couple of seasons. Especially given the state we're in at the moment. Anything less than that and the club looks like a shambles in my opinion.

It's too easy to just shout 'sack the manager' as soon as things aren't going our way.

I didn't mean BW managers, I meant EFL and Prem generally.  Looking at it another way, how many managers of teams that were expecting to be top 10, and are currently within 6 points off 2nd bottom, are still with the same team? OK maybe only us, Derby, Forest and Bradford have under achieved to that extent, but I'd suggest our owners have been a lot more patient that most.