Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Frank Worthington

TrickyTrotter

3 hours ago, Burndens Bogs said:

Was lucky enough to see almost every home game Worthy ever played for us, he was worth the admission fee alone.

Also consider myself lucky to have witnessed our victory at Ewood,Old Trafford and also his "wonder goal" v Ipswich .

He reckoned he scored an even better goal at QPR that wasn't caught on camera sadly.

The one at QPR was from his own half , looked up and drove it into the top corner.

ALWAYS ; thought about it when the media were licking Beckhams arse when he scored from the half way line.

Frankly  was well inside the half.

Cannot remember if we won the game.

But its one of the goals I will never forget.

Met him a couple of times.  But the stand out one was at The Strawberry Duck. Spent about an hour chatting to him and Alex Higgins, 

• Site Supporter

Last time I saw him was in William Hills in Manchester. He didn't have much to do with Bolton, got the feeling he didn't get many invites by the club. Huddersfield was still his big love though. 

I couldn't believe my eyes when I went in & the only person in the place was my childhood hero, have to admit to being a bit starstruck 😊

God bless you Frank & thank you for some awesome memories. 

1 of my favourite players growing up the goal against Ipswich was the best goal I ever saw at Burnden still remember it now and we lost think Alan Brazil scored a couple.

Met him many years ago at Haydick races had a chat and a pint with him great bloke.

One Frankie Worthy there's only one Frankie Worthy

We all agree Frankie Worthy is magic ....is magic... is magic 

Echos all around burden and on several away terraces on our travels .

Legend 

Edited by Nottm_Wanderer

• Site Supporter
10 minutes ago, Nottm_Wanderer said:

Legend 

I always thought it was.....

oh Frankie Frankie....Frankie Frankie Frankie Frankie Worthington 

• Site Supporter
22 hours ago, Benny The Ball said:

There's some great pictures of Frank amongst many on Harry Mcguire's website ( the Ex BWFC photographer) 

Unfortunately cannot cut and paste any to here but they are well worth a look 

https://www.harrymcguire.co.uk/albums/9WpwAb/football-nostalgia

Harry McGuire is still photographing at Bolton. I think he’s ex-Bolton Evening News but now freelance.

17 hours ago, Nottm_Wanderer said:

Legend 

A song created in homage to Frank’s big mate, who attended many games home and away, Bill Maynard and echoing his Selwyn Froggitt whose catchphrase was, “Magic, our Maurice!”

15 minutes ago, MancWanderer said:

Very sad news. Met him at a sportsman’s dinner a good few years ago. He signed the menu “To the good times at Burnden”. Was obvious from his speech though that he was on the slide

To be positive OT that night my best ever game with Ewood not far behind. Great memories

Yeh same, met him over 30 years ago when he was after dinner speaking at a sportsmans dinner, his speach was slurred but i assumed he was half pissed. He enjoyed a bevvy or 3 did Frank. Around 1978 my neighbour (ex traffic cop & big Whites fan)actually pulled him over for driving pissed one night. He let him off and told him to “ drive home carefully” 

Edited by Burndens Bogs

• Site Supporter

I saw Frank doing a dinner at Breightmet United, it was the Friday night that we played at Hull , I had to miss Hull because I'd sponsored a table but the night was brilliant loads of lads had radios listening to the game and with every lull in the game the place erupted in renditions of " Oh Frankie Frankie" .He was fighting a losing battle trying to do his speak and eventually sacked it and just got pissed with everyone, brilliant night.

• Site Supporter

Did anyone see him on ‘Come dine with me’ with Ruddock, Fashanu and Carlton Palmer a few years ago? Very entertaining.

His Mrs was going out with a musician from Queen or The Who I think it was. He just said I went back stage and took her off him. Typical Frank

• Site Supporter
47 minutes ago, Biggish Dave said:

Did anyone see him on ‘Come dine with me’ with Ruddock, Fashanu and Carlton Palmer a few years ago? Very entertaining.

His Mrs was going out with a musician from Queen or The Who I think it was. He just said I went back stage and took her off him. Typical Frank

Can only find the trailer.

but just below it, you can never see this enough times.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/01/2021 at 10:07, MickyD said:

Harry McGuire is still photographing at Bolton. I think he’s ex-Bolton Evening News but now freelance.

A song created in homage to Frank’s big mate, who attended many games home and away, Bill Maynard and echoing his Selwyn Froggitt whose catchphrase was, “Magic, our Maurice!”

I bet the photographer Harry McGuire is a better footballer than the one playing for Man Urinals, :lol:!!!