Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Exeter City (away)

Farrelli

• Moderators

I thought first half was ok...first 30 of second was a different game

Delf was anonymous but we rarely get the ball to him

Sarcevic was his usual self and their goal is mainly on him, for me, with an assist for delaney who continued his shit run

Brockbank is a poor left back, but the best we have got

Gilkes got lucky more than once

Lee no better than 5 but that pass for doyle was the moment of the match- could be a belter

Arthur was very lively

im still pissed off we didnt get to see kioso and john

Gutted, even

12 minutes ago, marple whites said:

Why do we only start playing after 70 mins ?

I think teams early on in the season realised we weren't as good as we liked to think we were, plus being the biggest fish in that division, the opposition never stop working to press us into an error. But it as it bears dividends they work hard. to keep doing it, but ultimately its hard graft and they tire and we then come into it.

Conversely you could say we are uber fit, but doesn't look like that to me, as we rarely look like we have the legs on any opposition team. And even when we do break - which I thought his formation was all about - we seem pedestrian. (Until Ghahoua tonight)

A draw was a fair result. !st half quite even, but up to their goal, we never got going in the 2nd half, but after their goal & especially after our substitutions, we played some good stuff ,scored a lovely goal, could/should have scored a second & then made us suffer a scary last minute or two.

It's frustrating to see how good we can be in short  spells !!

Individually, Delaney was poor, Fonz doesn't look very committed, i'm less critical of Sarce than others & just thought it was one of those games where very little came off for him, Lee looks a good player ( if he stays fit ) but Arthur was the stand out & even allowing for playing against tiring defenders, should have a good shout to replace Fonz .

8 minutes ago, bolton va va said:

A draw was a fair result. !st half quite even, but up to their goal, we never got going in the 2nd half, but after their goal & especially after our substitutions, we played some good stuff ,scored a lovely goal, could/should have scored a second & then made us suffer a scary last minute or two.

It's frustrating to see how good we can be in short  spells !!

Individually, Delaney was poor, Fonz doesn't look very committed, i'm less critical of Sarce than others & just thought it was one of those games where very little came off for him, Lee looks a good player ( if he stays fit ) but Arthur was the stand out & even allowing for playing against tiring defenders, should have a good shout to replace Fonz .

I Agree. Sarcevic is not even in the top ten of our biggest issues IMO. He has not been good tonight (apparently as I’ve not seen the game) but he does at least keep trying and creates chances. 

Edited by Farrelli

21 minutes ago, ianofcleveleys said:

Sarcevic is a fraud, 'finishes strong' and looks handy in last 15 mins, reality is he lumbers around a yard off the pace for 75 mins before that, giving the ball away, getting knocked off it by lads half his size and giving cheap fouls away because he can't tackle. He's the sort of player I can't stand, gives a foul away that could have cost us a goal near half time then waves his armed about as though it's everybody else's fault. Not fit to to be captain and would be better off coming on for last 20-25 mins in games, when opponents are tiring and space opens up.

On the game, we were outfought, out run and outplayed for 65 minutes, subs made a difference as they made a few tired mistakes later on, Arthur did really well. Delaney in particular but Brockbank also were awful for their goal, done for pace and Delaney brushed aside by a lad a stone lighter. Lee looked ok, games under his belt and he'll be a good addition. 

Whatever dealings Evatt can do in this window they badly need to increase our pace and physicality, every team we play at the minute is quicker and stronger than us

While sarce has been disappointing I would say he’s a fraud as I’ve seen glimpses of a useful player at this level, I’m thinking he could be carrying an injury and trying to soldier on. I think a big part of our problem is the failure to hold the ball up top long enough for sustained pressure and to allow our midfielders to join in and also allowing the defence to have a breather, it’s also pretty obvious to me our full backs tonight were poor I’m not a fan of jones and brockbank needs to be on the right, but we need better than those 2. Really hope evatt finds a hold up CF as I don’t think Miller up to it from what I’ve seen, currently we’ve not got the personnel to mount a sustained push towards the play offs. 

Sarcevic had a bad night end of , should probably been subbed but still managed to set up the equaliser .He isn’t the best in defensive areas but shows guile in his passing around the opponents penalty area .Pulled us out of the shite a few times as well .He has ability unlike some in the squad just need to employ him farther up the pitch maybe the addition of Lee will help.

Not read any of the 12 pages, so apologies for repeating anything.

My brief assessment is that we just weren't good enough again. It's a poor show when one sub plays 24 minutes and was one of if not our best player whilst his fellow sub's only contribution was an "air" volley.

• Site Supporter

If we've seen anything it's that RB (or RWB) and LB (or LWB) aren't interchangeable. We're have two RBs and no LBs, unless we actually buy or borrow an established left footed defender who's capable of running upfield and joining with the attack then that position is always going to be the weak link. Other teams will notice that as our weakest position and attack from that wing highlighting the weakness of whoever fills the slot.

22 minutes ago, MickyD said:

If we've seen anything it's that RB (or RWB) and LB (or LWB) aren't interchangeable. We're have two RBs and no LBs, unless we actually buy or borrow an established left footed defender who's capable of running upfield and joining with the attack then that position is always going to be the weak link. Other teams will notice that as our weakest position and attack from that wing highlighting the weakness of whoever fills the slot.

We got one - then he got injured in his first training session 🤦🏻‍♂️

I agree with the sentiment though and personally would have Mascoll at LB until John is ready. Nothing against Brockbank but I don’t think he is a good enough defender to warrant the lack of ability to attack (not his fault - he’s not left footed). At least with Mascoll you’d have the balance - from what I’ve seen he’s not the most solid defensively either, so it’s not perfect, but he would at least mean we can attack down both sides and become less predictable.

On a separate note - what’s happened to Delaney? I was a big fan when we went on that good run and actually thought he was being overlooked a bit as Santos was getting all the credit - now though, he’s been a bit of a liability and his decision making has gone to pot. Hopefully settling into a more familiar back 4, with John next to him once fit, will help him out. A settled back 4 of Jones, Santos, Delaney, John should be more than good enough for this league (then again I say that about our midfield and attack as well and we’re sat 16th!)

We don't seem to have any sort of plan or focal point when we have the ball which is what really concerns me.  We have no natural width due to our wing backs not actually being wing backs.  Delfouneso was supposed to be our forward who can hold the ball up but he seems to be going AWOL more often than not lately. 

I thought the idea was we were supposed to control possession in games, yet we're getting overrun in midfield game after game (until around 70mins and/or we go behind).  Not sure if this is down to tactics or are players being out of form and/or just not good enough.  Whichever it is, it's a concern.

Can only hope that as Lee gets up to speed this will improve.  However, in order to get the best out of Doyle we need him to be sniffing around the 6 yard box feeding off crosses into the box, but this just isn't happening anywhere near enough.

• Site Supporter
50 minutes ago, DazBob said:

We don't seem to have any sort of plan or focal point when we have the ball which is what really concerns me. 

Oh for a player like Campo who could hang around the centre circle waiting for the ball and then play it out to anywhere on the pitch. It doesn't even have to be a player with Campo's pedigree,  Tony Kelly proved that in his later years.  

We just need someone with the ability to spot a run...

Oh, shit. We also need other players on the pitch with the ability to make a run.

We're fucked!

Delfouneso has offered very little for weeks now and his main contribution last night was failing to put a relatively easy chance away. Granted he was flagged offside afterwards, so it meant nothing, but the fact he missed it was poor. 

Just now, Traf said:

Delfouneso has offered very little for weeks now and his main contribution last night was failing to put a relatively easy chance away. Granted he was flagged offside afterwards, so it meant nothing, but the fact he missed it was poor. 

Not been same since his wife gave birth. 

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

We got one - then he got injured in his first training session 🤦🏻‍♂️

I agree with the sentiment though and personally would have Mascoll at LB until John is ready. Nothing against Brockbank but I don’t think he is a good enough defender to warrant the lack of ability to attack (not his fault - he’s not left footed). At least with Mascoll you’d have the balance - from what I’ve seen he’s not the most solid defensively either, so it’s not perfect, but he would at least mean we can attack down both sides and become less predictable.

On a separate note - what’s happened to Delaney? I was a big fan when we went on that good run and actually thought he was being overlooked a bit as Santos was getting all the credit - now though, he’s been a bit of a liability and his decision making has gone to pot. Hopefully settling into a more familiar back 4, with John next to him once fit, will help him out. A settled back 4 of Jones, Santos, Delaney, John should be more than good enough for this league (then again I say that about our midfield and attack as well and we’re sat 16th!)

Regarding Delaney he’s got brockbank in front of him and he’s not a fullback in my opinion, and he’s right footed, both are big lads and Delaney pulled into the channels to cover brockbank who’s trying to play wingback and stranded upfield (as much as he’s not a full back he’s even less a wingback) is a recipe for disaster both  can be turned easily by a nippy small winger, proper old skool left footed left back required,  someone like simon Charlton.... not easy to find I know. 

Edited by Mounts Kipper