Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Old School Crisps...

Youri McAnespie

At primary school break time we could troop down to the office and buy; Quarterbacks, Meanies, Skydivers or all manner of strange flavoured Benson potato crisps - I reckon' they got these weird flavours cheaper from the cash and carry...

I noticed Quarterbacks are erm back in the corner shop last night and bought a bag - a very poor imitation of the 80s ones.

When they brought back Ringos it was a travesty - no relation whatsoever to the flat powdery originals - just dogmuck ten a penny maize onion rings.

Not seen Smiths Salt 'n' Shake for ages...

In normal circumstances I never eat crisps - but doing so much sitting on my arse of late I think it's only right to be troughing on  empty calories as well...

Warby's did excellent crisps at one time - only available from Hampsons, or did I imagine that?

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members
1 minute ago, Youri McAnespie said:

Point of order.

They are biscuits.

Made by Burton's Biscuits.

As were Chicken 'n' Chips.

Fish 'n' Chips are very bland these days - they used to be like licking a 9v battery.

Home bargains sell a cheap version (sea side shaped) fuck me they are good. I'm a connoisseur of the snacky snacks. 

• Site Supporter
2 minutes ago, Youri McAnespie said:

Point of order.

They are biscuits.

Made by Burton's Biscuits.

As were Chicken 'n' Chips.

Fish 'n' Chips are very bland these days - they used to be like licking a 9v battery.

Ok fair point, must try harder.

Will you give me Football Crazy?

14 minutes ago, bolton_blondie said:

Tangy Tom's or chipsticks with a picture of a beaver on the front are what I remember. Take roof of your mouth off with the flavour. 

I hated Tangy Tom's - with that smug anthropomorphic tomato on the packet, like a poor man's Naranjito (but a tomato not an orange) they'd linger in the mouth and taint any further different packs.

Can still get Chipsticks - they do them three for a quid (packs) at all good cornershops - can mix and match with other Smith's crisps like Frazzles and Snaps...

Edited by Youri McAnespie

14 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Thing we had a choice of potato puffs, chocolate tea cake or a fig biscuit.  The fig biscuit was hideous. 

At dinner break they press ganged the two prettiest girls in the school to set up a kind of proto-bar area in the fire door area of the maths store. Which was conveniently adjacent to the lads' tenniser kickabout area.

It was good practice to brush up on persiflage with attractive bar girls, over a 5p cup of cheap and nasty blackcurrant or orange, that would be handy in later life.

2 minutes ago, bolton_blondie said:

They are in a big sharer bag. Not that this greedy bitch shares. 

If I can't find them I'll settle for Worcester Sauce, Pickled Onion and Prawn Cocktail Golden Wonder...

If they've no Pickled Onion I'll make my own by mixing Salt and Vinegar with Cheese and Onion.

Colour identification of crisp packets has been an issue with me since Walkers took over from Golden Wonder as market leader. I dont care if Walkers claim to be first with the colour coding of packets.

Real colour ID for the big 3

S&V - Sky Blue.

C&O - Green.

Ready Salted - Dark Blue.

I am, and always will be a Golden Wonder man. But less about my kinky bedroom habits.

2 minutes ago, Underpants said:

Colour identification of crisp packets has been an issue with me since Walkers took over from Golden Wonder as market leader. I dont care if Walkers claim to be first with the colour coding of packets.

S&V - Sky Blue.

C&O - Green.

I am, and always will be a Golden Wonder man. But less about my kinky bedroom habits.

Agree, many time I’ve picked up cheese & onion not S&V. 

45 minutes ago, desperado said:

Ok fair point, must try harder.

Will you give me Football Crazy?

Were they those maize balls? The name rings a bell...

Did anyone buy Rainbow Drops and eat them on the sly lest be subjected to unwarranted charges of being 'Gay'. I didn't 🙄.

I recall (other people) buying them - the bags were tricky to open, so 'popping' them was often employed - except it was 50/50 which end would pop. Every primary school playground in the 80s had a patch of Rainbow Drops.

I'm breaking my own 'crisps only' rule here, and I never bought them either, ever. 🤥

2 minutes ago, Youri McAnespie said:

Were they those maize balls? The name rings a bell...

Did anyone buy Rainbow Drops and eat them on the sky sly lest be subjected to unwarranted charges of being 'Gay'. I didn't 🙄.

I recall (other people) buying them - the bags were tricky to open, so 'popping' them was often employed - except it was 50/50 which end would pop. Every primary school playground in the 80s had a patch of Rainbow Drops.

I'm breaking my own 'crisps only' rule here, and I never bought them either, ever. 🤥

Would you admit to Parma Violets?

4 minutes ago, Underpants said:

S&V - Sky Blue.

C&O - Green.

A Saturday treat for me and my siblings would be family packs of Cheese and Onion and Salt and Vinegar Golden Wonder - these big packs always seemed to have bigger, more golden brown and flavour some crisps than the small packets.

And you're right, Walkers can fuck right off - green for S+V, blue for C+O, gtf Lineker.