Old School Crisps...

Youri McAnespie

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderators
6 hours ago, Youri McAnespie said:

They probably just trumped S+V Smiths Square Crisps in the 'steeped in battery acid' stakes.

There were little rocks of salt at the bottom of each packet

• Members
4 hours ago, Youri McAnespie said:

Old school crisps to shit parents and potential concert.

I'll try and steer it back.

Skips Crisps - they tried doing different flavours other than Prawn Cocktail...

I can't remember any though...

You heathen.

Fishy polystyrene. I’m not even sure they’re classed as crisps

6 hours ago, Escobarp said:

Factory used to be in new mills If my memory serves me correctly. Dad used to bring home big bags of stuff when he delivered into them. 

Aye, my neck of the woods that. Mate of mine used to work there...stories of rats and jizz going in the big vats back in the day. As I’ve said on here a few times I used to play footy for New Mills and there’s some very, very odd folk up there. Got sent off in in a cup game at home once and I genuinely thought I was going to get stabbed after the game by some of the more “passionate” locals.

Linking to Parma Violets in true random Youri style (as he started this thread) I saw them support the Vaccines at Ibiza Rocks about 8-9 years back. They weren’t bad.

As for crisps, if anyone orders plain (ready salted) when there’s other flavours on offer, you’re basically saying you only have sex in missionary and you wear Superdry.

Can’t beat an old school Seabrook for me. Used to only be able to get them from vending machines at the local swimming baths...deep flavours; maybe to get rid of the chlorine?

• Site Supporter

Two things:

I bought a 6-pack of Marmite crisps today.

Those choc-filled biscuits you were so fond of now come in a yellow pack. A fantastic biccy, even better straight from the fridge. https://www.ocado.com/products/bahlsen-pick-up-milk-chocolate-biscuit-bars-229416011

Edited by MickyD
Fucked up the original post

2 hours ago, MancWanderer said:

Aldi did Turkey and Stuffing things this year. Still have some in. Like a very crispy Wotsit

I'm all maized/corned out - I was hoping for some Turkey and Stuffing Potato crisps, not Walkers though.

I'm sure Walkers are made of mushed and pressed potatoes - not not sliced ones, they're too uniform.

But I have no proof to drag them from their seedy Leicester plant and expose them to the light of justice.

1 hour ago, MickyD said:

Two things:

I bought a 6-pack of Marmite crisps today.

Those choc-filled biscuits you were so fond of now come in a yellow pack. A fantastic biccy, even better straight from the fridge. https://www.ocado.com/products/bahlsen-pick-up-milk-chocolate-biscuit-bars-229416011

@Rudy
I didn't say I liked Skips - tasted alreet, but I like; Prawn Cocktail crisps (even Walkers), Scampi Fries and Scampi & Lemon Nik Naks...

But Skips are too insubstantial.

@MickyD

Those Bahlsen things look promising but the ones from the 80s were round and massive in diameter - easy as wide across as a Wagon Wheel.

@ErnestTurnip

Fish 'n' Chips are savoury biscuits because they just are.

My logic doesn't mean Warbies Crisps were actually bread.

Burton's made Puffs which are crisps. .

@jules_darby

I don't think I've ever met anyone who worked at a food plant who didn't come out with the old 'rats/piss/shit/jizz/cockroaches etc. in the vats' line...

Greenhalghs, Park Cakes, Carrs, Hampsons, Warbies, Stateside et al.

The best bullshit tale I heard in a pub (Cattle Market) was concerning Hampsons - which everyone knows has a plant backing onto Coe Street's Prozzy Alley...

Apparently a large portion of the nightshift lads all chipped in to bring a lady of the night into the staffroom and proceeded to make her airtight for a few hours.

They all neglected to wear rubber johnnies tho'...

Six months later half the same nightshift are H.I.V.+

Dunno if they started wanking in the Hot Cross Bun mix as some kind of misanthropic 'revenge' mission though.

9 hours ago, Underpants said:

Colour identification of crisp packets has been an issue with me since Walkers took over from Golden Wonder as market leader. I dont care if Walkers claim to be first with the colour coding of packets.

Real colour ID for the big 3

S&V - Sky Blue.

C&O - Green.

Ready Salted - Dark Blue.

I am, and always will be a Golden Wonder man. But less about my kinky bedroom habits.

this but i assume ready salted were always supposed to be red, think Smiths is the OG color deciderer , but can let Golden Wonder off

fucking walkers dont even use the green = salt vinegar , blue = cheese onion for their other brands , i think theyre being dicks at this point. 

i dont buy em cos i carnt tell what the fuck is going on and get golden wonder or whatever ( smiths are coloured correctly too, i think). 

2 hours ago, fatolive said:

Used to love salt and vinegar “Tubes” not seen them for ages or those wheelz mentioned earlier . 
Used  to love bones too, pickled onion with a picture of a skeleton on .

I'd totally forgot about Tubes...

Not enough difference between them and Hula Hoops imo.

You could chew some up (tubes) then use an intact tube as a peashooter and spray a window or a pal's face with the masticated crisps.

9 hours ago, thegod11 said:

You mean Nibbit Wheelz? Onion and vinegar or Mexican spice flavours. They were ace

I actually took part in the market research on them rascals when I was a nipper. 

Used to love Bones from Smiths crisps black packet with a skellington on the front.