Old School Crisps...

Youri McAnespie

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members
1 minute ago, Youri McAnespie said:

Yes, but only with an accompanying packet of those multi flavoured ones in the same size pack and form - name escapes me...

Cherry lips and floral gums strictly for the girls and doing skipping with the girls lads.

Any sweets that taste like flowers deserve the bin. 

7 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

Were potato puffs those flaky offcuts that went everywhere?

They did look like a by-product but I was assured once by a Burtons employee they were bespoke.

They had a picture of the American Dennis the Menace on the pack iirc.

Salt and Vinegar, Beef and the utterly pointless Plain (not even Ready Salted if I think back) and were there Cheese and Tomato ones? Very rare those.

They were tipping crisps - no other sensible option.

16 minutes ago, Youri McAnespie said:

They did look like a by-product but I was assured once by a Burtons employee they were bespoke.

They had a picture of the American Dennis the Menace on the pack iirc.

Salt and Vinegar, Beef and the utterly pointless Plain (not even Ready Salted if I think back) and were there Cheese and Tomato ones? Very rare those.

They were tipping crisps - no other sensible option.

The plain were pointless. Also it was always the.slightly smelly kid who seemed to eat them.

23 minutes ago, Youri McAnespie said:

Yes, but only with an accompanying packet of those multi flavoured ones in the same size pack and form - name escapes me...

Cherry lips and floral gums strictly for the girls and doing skipping with the girls lads.

Apparently these have always been called 'fizzers' - I ate these on a regular basis as a kid and never called them that - they were always Swizzels...

2 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

The plain were pointless. Also it was always the.slightly smelly kid who seemed to eat them.

Puffs or plain puffs?

Plain puffs did smell a bit like (god/allah forgive us) the class tramp(s) - maybe a chicken/egg scenario?

Edited by Youri McAnespie

1 hour ago, bolton_blondie said:

Tangy Tom's or chipsticks with a picture of a beaver on the front are what I remember. Take roof of your mouth off with the flavour. 

Had a packet of tangy toms Yesterday 😁

And can still get Dundee biscuits as well they had them in home bargains other week 

• Members
1 minute ago, Mr Grey said:

Daughter is now Celiac, so only crisp in the house are those lightweight Teddy Pom-Bears.

Never really been a crisp mon, but I do love a big bag of walkers sensations chille with a bottle of vino 🍷 👌

Lethal those things. Start of thinking I'm not gonna eat them all, then I always eat them all. 

When Morrisons was where Kwiksave then Iceland now the bus station is they used to sell these massive French chocolate sandwich biscuits - kind of like nicer Rich Teas with a chocolate filling, big packet/tube but light as a feather, with white corrugated card around them in the pack - they were belting.

My mam would drag me into the 'trampy' Hanbury's over the road - but would entice me with a promise of a pack of Stax.

These long pre-dated the yank rubbish that are Pringles - they should've sued.

8 minutes ago, crawshawbooth said:

Family shopper next to Bolton Castle have a massive batch of past sell buy date £1  a bag brands

just got quavers , cheesy wotsits , pickled onion monster munch

4 bags for a quid

A few years ago they were selling 1kg bags of seconds chocolate bars for about £1.50.

About 20 bars worth of malformed  Mars Bars, Drifters, Lion Bars, Kit-Kats etc. I used to pass there on a daily basis for a while and always bought a bag if I popped in...

I'd often eat half a bag without thinking, would never have ate the equivalent in normal bars.

Turned into a reet fat chewatt.

Took about a month of this to put on about two stone.

2 hours ago, bolton_blondie said:

Tangy Tom's or chipsticks with a picture of a beaver on the front are what I remember. Take roof of your mouth off with the flavour. 

You mean Nibbit Wheelz? Onion and vinegar or Mexican spice flavours. They were ace

1 hour ago, Youri McAnespie said:

Swizzles ? Also available as lollies. 

Always liked a packet of Love Hearts ( not for messages). 

2 minutes ago, Ani said:

Swizzles ? Also available as lollies. 

Always liked a packet of Love Hearts ( not for messages). 

Factory used to be in new mills If my memory serves me correctly. Dad used to bring home big bags of stuff when he delivered into them.