Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Climate Change

London Wanderer

Thought maybe the views of the scientists deserved their own thread for a change, rather than getting side tracked by the numpties standing on top of tubes. 

Get's more depressing by the day to be honest, so steer well clear today if you've got enough on your plate with Covid. 

Report came out today from an International group of top scientists saying we're well on course for a 'ghastly future' of more pandemics, resource wars, biodiversity loss and mass migration. 

Top scientists warn of 'ghastly future of mass extinction' and climate disruption (newscon.net)

Pretty bleak to be honest, but they say clearly that this isn't a 'call to surrender'. Rather a call on all nations to do more - offering some solutions that will transform the way we live.

"Dealing with the enormity of the problem requires far-reaching changes to global capitalism, education and equality, the paper says. These include abolishing the idea of perpetual economic growth, properly pricing environmental externalities, stopping the use of fossil fuels, reining in corporate lobbying, and empowering women, the researchers argue".

Hard to argue against those solutions in my opinion. Question is will governments have the balls to adopt that level of change. 

1 minute ago, London Wanderer said:

Thought maybe the views of the scientists deserved their own thread for a change, rather than getting side tracked by the numpties standing on top of tubes. 

Get's more depressing by the day to be honest, so steer well clear today if you've got enough on your plate with Covid. 

Report came out today from an International group of top scientists saying we're well on course for a 'ghastly future' of more pandemics, resource wars, biodiversity loss and mass migration. 

Top scientists warn of 'ghastly future of mass extinction' and climate disruption (newscon.net)

Pretty bleak to be honest, but they say clearly that this isn't a 'call to surrender'. Rather a call on all nations to do more - offering some solutions that will transform the way we live.

"Dealing with the enormity of the problem requires far-reaching changes to global capitalism, education and equality, the paper says. These include abolishing the idea of perpetual economic growth, properly pricing environmental externalities, stopping the use of fossil fuels, reining in corporate lobbying, and empowering women, the researchers argue".

Hard to argue against those solutions in my opinion. Question is will governments have the balls to adopt that level of change. 

Do you really think this forum is a good place for this debate ? Good luck. 😂😂🤪😅😘

5 minutes ago, Ani said:

Do you really think this forum is a good place for this debate ? Good luck. 😂😂🤪😅😘

😆

Abolishing the idea of perpetual economic growth.... The words of the scientists, not me.

Let's see how that one goes down on here😆🤣

Edited by London Wanderer

1 minute ago, gonzo said:

There'll be fuck all left in 100 years.

Fact.

Probably for the best. Let some other species start from fresh and hope they do a better job.

I'll be long gone, so I'm not that arsed to be honest

By then we'll be inhabiting part of Mars in bio-domes and we might need them here on Earth as well.

No way are China and India going to change their ways in time to prevent further warming - it's all part of the cycle of the earth. We'll heat up, we'l all die, then a million or so years later life will flourish again. It's how it is. 

Edited by Sweep

2 minutes ago, gonzo said:

There'll be fuck all left in 100 years.

Fact.

Probably for the best. Let some other species start from fresh and hope they do a better job.

1 minute ago, Sweep said:

I'll be long gone, so I'm not that arsed

Exactly how I feel. 

I'm genuinely pessimistic that we can muster the political and social enthusiasm to head this off in time.

I worry it's going to take the consequences of going past the tipping point to focus collective minds. By which point we'll be in a position where we'll be unable to do anything about it.

I like a bit of science and science fiction and I've talked about this before on here. There's something called 'The Fermi Paradox' which basically asks why based on the number of stars in the galaxy, and the age of the universe, we don't see a galaxy teeming with life as we might expect. Instead we see nothing. So where are they all?

One of the many solutions to the Fermi Paradox is that any technological civilisation would likely go through a period where they relied on fossil fuels and risked runaway greenhouse emission. It's known as one of the 'great filters'. 

Whether we survive this filter as a species is questionable. It's horrifying. 

Anyway - back to COVID for some light relief! 

7 minutes ago, Sweep said:

By then we'll be inhabiting part of Mars in bio-domes and we might need them here on Earth as well.

No way are China and India going to change their ways in time to prevent further warming - it's all part of the cycle of the earth. We'll heat up, we'l all die, then a million or so years later life will flourish again. It's how it is. 

Nope. The Fistmaster 5000 preserves life.

30 minutes ago, London Wanderer said:

😆

Abolishing the idea of perpetual economic growth.... The words of the scientists, not me.

Let's see how that one goes down on here😆🤣

Even economists have been saying that for years. The way we measure economies needs to change, not just for the environment.

• Site Supporter
16 minutes ago, kent_white said:

I'm genuinely pessimistic that we can muster the political and social enthusiasm to head this off in time.

I worry it's going to take the consequences of going past the tipping point to focus collective minds. By which point we'll be in a position where we'll be unable to do anything about it.

I like a bit of science and science fiction and I've talked about this before on here. There's something called 'The Fermi Paradox' which basically asks why based on the number of stars in the galaxy, and the age of the universe, we don't see a galaxy teeming with life as we might expect. Instead we see nothing. So where are they all?

One of the many solutions to the Fermi Paradox is that any technological civilisation would likely go through a period where they relied on fossil fuels and risked runaway greenhouse emission. It's known as one of the 'great filters'. 

Whether we survive this filter as a species is questionable. It's horrifying. 

Anyway - back to COVID for some light relief! 

It will be sorted one way or the other. Food/water shortages= more wars and people in smaller areas. Then more disease etc.

The concept of perpetual growth will change too either by design or consequence. That doesn't mean everyone living in communes and shitting in holes though.

I think there's a collective will but it would take a brave US president and series of western governments who let their economies stagnate while their green policies were strengthened.  

Our economy today was built on the back of our own industrial revolution.  It hardly seems fair for us to castigate developing nations for the pollution they're now belching out.

In essence - we're fecked.

• Members
Just now, Duck Egg said:

I think there's a collective will but it would take a brave US president and series of western governments who let their economies stagnate while their green policies were strengthened.  

Our economy today was built on the back of our own industrial revolution.  It hardly seems fair for us to castigate developing nations for the pollution they're now belching out.

The sheer fact that the most powerful country in the world elected a man who refused to sign the Paris agreement just shows the ignorance of this World.

34 minutes ago, Sweep said:

Surely god can just knock out a spare one and move us there? 

• Site Supporter
10 minutes ago, Duck Egg said:

Do we not send covid vaccines to developing countries then?

Leave them to carry on developing and repeating the same mistakes we did, until they're capable of developing their own vaccines etc.

Its simply nonsensical to say we can't be critical of places like China etc for their activities. 

We should be sharing the new science and evidence and gradually moving away from such nations that won't move along the green route.

Green policies will represent areas for growth too, don't have to be economy stifling activities. 

The planet has gone through plenty of climate changes and pandemics far worst than the one we have at the moment. I don't think the Chinese, Yanks or other 3rd word country's were responsible for any of them.

Put this climate change bollox in the same filing cabinet as the Moon landings and sporting Australia cricketers.

Edited by Underpants

• Site Supporter
3 minutes ago, Underpants said:

The planet has gone through plenty of climate changes and pandemics for worst than the one we have at the moment. I don't think the Chinese, Yanks or other 3rd word country's were responsible for any of them.

Put this climate change bollox in the same filing cabinet as the Moon landings and sporting Australia cricketers.

Afternoon Donald.

4 minutes ago, Underpants said:

The planet has gone through plenty of climate changes and pandemics for worst than the one we have at the moment. I don't think the Chinese, Yanks or other 3rd word country's were responsible for any of them.

Poe's law :)

• Members
8 minutes ago, Underpants said:

And left handed people 

24 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Do we not send covid vaccines to developing countries then?

Leave them to carry on developing and repeating the same mistakes we did, until they're capable of developing their own vaccines etc.

Its simply nonsensical to say we can't be critical of places like China etc for their activities. 

We should be sharing the new science and evidence and gradually moving away from such nations that won't move along the green route.

Green policies will represent areas for growth too, don't have to be economy stifling activities. 

There's no need to be silly! 

Of course we can be critical but we cant blame China and others for trying to industrialise and create infrastructures like we did.  Plus it's easier to be critical if you're not amongst the worst offenders for belching out greenhouse gases. 

I do agree with your growth comments though.  There's huge untapped potential.  Not enough for nations to turn their backs on fossil fuels though.