Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Climate Change

London Wanderer

• Site Supporter

Read “Stark” by Ben Elton.

It’s all in there and it’s funny too. It helps to read about humanity killing the planet when it’s written so amusingly.

Mother Earth will unleash something to deal with the 7 billion cancerous cells that are making her poorly.

• Moderators
2 hours ago, London Wanderer said:

"Dealing with the enormity of the problem requires far-reaching changes to global capitalism, education and equality, the paper says. These include abolishing the idea of perpetual economic growth, properly pricing environmental externalities, stopping the use of fossil fuels, reining in corporate lobbying, and empowering women, the researchers argue".

I was almost on board till I got to that bit, sounds like a bunch of lesbians with an agenda to me

2 hours ago, Underpants said:

The planet has gone through plenty of climate changes and pandemics far worst than the one we have at the moment. I don't think the Chinese, Yanks or other 3rd word country's were responsible for any of them.

Put this climate change bollox in the same filing cabinet as the Moon landings and sporting Australia cricketers.

You're right the planet has had 5 mass extinctions all created by climate change.

What casused the climate to change differs each time.

Last time it was an asteroid/ash cloud covering the suns rays.

This time its man made.

The next one who knows?

• Site Supporter
10 minutes ago, gonzo said:

You're right the planet has had 5 mass extinctions all created by climate change.

What casused the climate to change differs each time.

Last time it was an asteroid/ash cloud covering the suns rays.

This time its man made.

The next one who knows?

Eventually enough poison and gas will build up as the earth turns into a primordial soup of unstable elements, that the earth will literally explode and fart its way out of our universe to find itself another sun to revolve around.

Dwarfers know.

• Site Supporter
3 hours ago, Duck Egg said:

There's no need to be silly! 

Of course we can be critical but we cant blame China and others for trying to industrialise and create infrastructures like we did.  Plus it's easier to be critical if you're not amongst the worst offenders for belching out greenhouse gases. 

I do agree with your growth comments though.  There's huge untapped potential.  Not enough for nations to turn their backs on fossil fuels though.

Not silly at all.

It's imperative that emerging nations do so in a more sustainable manner than we did. No one whatsoever has said they shouldn't be allowed to grow.

And the comment about us being one of the worst offenders is somewhat obtuse. Its the very realisation of where we are that makes it imperative that others don't follow suit. That's the point made above, there's nothing hypocritical about it.

Emerging nations have the opportunity to jump beyond our established systems, straight to a green economy. Easier to do that, than go from where we are with our current infrastructure. 

1 hour ago, Dimron said:

Too many humans, they need culling

Correct 

If you could had filmed human activity from a satellite over the last 300 years and put it in a time lapse film of say 5-10 minutes we would look like a plague of locusts swarming over and devouring the planet 

Only when the  human population goes into a massive and permanent decline can we ourselves even attempt to resolve these issues

Failing that we ourselves will be wiped out as a species

2 hours ago, Benny The Ball said:

Correct 

If you could had filmed human activity from a satellite over the last 300 years and put it in a time lapse film of say 5-10 minutes we would look like a plague of locusts swarming over and devouring the planet 

Only when the  human population goes into a massive and permanent decline can we ourselves even attempt to resolve these issues

Failing that we ourselves will be wiped out as a species

Nature is beginning to apply a check on the human numbers via a virus which has always been our Achilles heel, it's a pisser that it is most effective old the older buggers like me!

What gets my goat is how people think it is their right (rather than a privilege) to produce even more rug rats and even think they are entitled to fertility treatment on the NHS.

5 hours ago, Dimron said:

Too many humans, they need culling

You seen Attenborough's recent documentary, Extinction the facts.

Does a cracking job of putting to bed the population myth. 

It's consumption, fossil fuels & how we live that is the issue.. not how many of us there are.

It is a factor of course, & we need to look at it.. but we can sustain this many people & prevent any more land loss just by cutting out certain foods & not wasting.

27 minutes ago, London Wanderer said:

It's consumption, fossil fuels & how we live that is the issue.. not how many of us there are.

It is a factor of course, & we need to look at it.. but we can sustain this many people & prevent any more land loss just by cutting out certain foods & not wasting.

Needs to be a combination of reduction in population and less consumption by the people who are here.

More people = more carbon production = climate change = destruction of environment

5 minutes ago, Dimron said:

Needs to be a combination of reduction in population and less consumption by the people who are here.

More people = more carbon production = climate change = destruction of environment

I think you need to watch the documentary london white mentioned previously.

26 minutes ago, gonzo said:

I think you need to watch the documentary london white mentioned previously.

I'll pick it up some time, I prefer to read more than watch TV.

I tend to follow Yuval Noah Harari's speculation that humans will lose control: "What will happen to society, politics and daily life when non-conscious but highly intelligent algorithms know us better than we know ourselves?"

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, London Wanderer said:

Fossil fuels are used to power food production.

Without current technology, more land would be needed to food production. Fine by me actually, but population growth puts pressure on the need for increasing yields and damaging methods.

We can't carry on with rapid population growth , that much is clear. 

But it isn't the most pressing issue.

It takes someone in the UK just five days to emit the same amount of carbon as someone in Rwanda does across a whole year. CO2 emissions, particularly by richer nations are the biggest issue. 

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, London Wanderer said:

We can't carry on with rapid population growth , that much is clear. 

But it isn't the most pressing issue.

It takes someone in the UK just five days to emit the same amount of carbon as someone in Rwanda does across a whole year. CO2 emissions, particularly by richer nations are the biggest issue. 

Rwanda, like a lot of African countries, manages a very special form of population control.

Iirc, its also the biggest growing African tourist spot.

Will soon start to catch up on the co2 stakes.

However, at the moment land availability will be somewhat less pressured than here.

No doubt we will create better production equipment (electric/hydrogen etc) but it becomes meaningless, if there is less space- more housing on flood plains, farming fields etc.

Thats without the need for open green space.

This country is essentially full from an environment point of view.

Fossil Fuels and Greenhouse Gases. Phase out.

The Montreal Protocol

The Protection of the ozone layer .

The Phase out of CFC's and HCFC's .

All the above was brought in to return the ozone layer to what it was in 1980.

If the world stuck together this could be achieved by 2058.

But the UK , and most European countries also Australia.  HAVE Been totally left hanging by . The USA , Russia ( they even increased production of HFC's ) China and India.

In the UK and Europe their are serious financial fines for not following procedures. 

But the rest of the world doesn't give two flying fucks.

Global warming has always been cyclical. 

One ice cap has always been larger and thicker than the other . Numerous factors influence this. Not least the oceans of the world.

More damaging in my view is the practice of fracking especially the under sea projects . This disturbs the actual structure of the planet with massive knock effects. 

As the " plates " move enormous pressures are both released and created , these in turn cause massive tidal waves. And we all remember the Tsunami in 2004. Nothing can stop one.

And that as far as we know was caused by nature.

But when countries are carrying out underground nuclear tests . We are knackered.