Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Pwoppa walking gear

Burndens Bogs

Every man and his dog is walking more at the moment, cos there's fuck all else to do. 

Now i'm not talking trekking in the Himalayas in January, but i walk 5 miles every single day in all weathers through fields and woodland  and there's nowt worse than getting pissed wet thru, or freezing cold or worst of all having cold wet feet.

Anyone any recommendations for reasonably priced walking gear that just does the job? 

I've had my fingers burnt with Decathlon stuff in the past, their stuff looks ok ish, but in reality it's just shit.

Footwear wise i'm pretty sorted with waterproof hiking boots form TOG24, coupled with Sealskinz socks - so feet are warm and dry.

Leg wise i've just bought some waterproof over kex from Mountain Warehouse, but it's too early to tell if they're any good or not yet.

Waterproof jackets? Fleeces? etc 

• Site Supporter
6 minutes ago, Burndens Bogs said:

Every man and his dog is walking more at the moment, cos there's fuck all else to do. 

Now i'm not talking trekking in the Himalayas in January, but i walk 5 miles every single day in all weathers through fields and woodland  and there's nowt worse than getting pissed wet thru, or freezing cold or worst of all having cold wet feet.

Anyone any recommendations for reasonably priced walking gear that just does the job? 

I've had my fingers burnt with Decathlon stuff in the past, their stuff looks ok ish, but in reality it's just shit.

Footwear wise i'm pretty sorted with waterproof hiking boots form TOG24, coupled with Sealskinz socks - so feet are warm and dry.

Leg wise i've just bought some waterproof over kex from Mountain Warehouse, but it's too early to tell if they're any good or not yet.

Waterproof jackets? Fleeces? etc 

Hold several candles above your head an hour before you go out.

The wax will drip off and coat you from head to toe.

The water will bead right off.

I've got a few bits, but i try and buy stuff that looks okay on the street and functions well up a hill

Patagonia and Arcteryx are probably my favourite brands for it and Fjallraven gear is also excellent  

Outsiders Store has a good mix of this kind of stuff

Think layering correctly is an art form

• Site Supporter

Gore tex fabric is/was designed to allow vapour out whilst preventing getting water in. This is achieved by the presence of billions of tiny pores within the fabric which are larger than vapour molecules but smaller than water droplets.

It is absolutely vital to maintain this functionality, by ensuring the garment is clean on the outside and is regularly washed/proofed as necessary to prevent it from wetting out- if this occurs, then the surface layer of water will prevent vapour escaping from within.

Its some 20+ years since I was loosely involved, and no doubt technologies have improved. Gore tex garments are cheaper for example. 

Personally, I suggest you look at the hydrostatic head that the garment will protect you from- should be on the label. Typically, the higher the better, but cost will rise too.

Also maybe try to find out how abrasion resistant the material is.

I love my goretex- doesn’t let rain in, simple. Sure still do get damp inside a bit from sweat- but none are perfect.

Also consider number of layers- too many and vapour has effectively cooled before it gets out of the garment and condenses inside. An issue I've found at times by having too many.

Love a good thermal base layer on first, then clothes according to conditions.

39 minutes ago, Spider said:

Hold several candles above your head an hour before you go out.

The wax will drip off and coat you from head to toe.

The water will bead right off.

16 minutes ago, Sweep said:

Walk naked (apart from your boots and sealskinz socks) - when you get home, just towel dry. No wet clothes to worry about.

Maybe coupling both of these splendid ideas would work a treat.

Decent boots for UK walks you can get from Decathlon. Their own brand Quecha is great and very reasonably priced for all your kit.

I'd get a pair of waterproof mountain walking boots or shoes if not doing heights. They are super lightweight. I wear them for.the lakes and down here in summer so.perfect for both.

Also get a pair of walking trousers, I've got a pair of Kalenji, but again Quechua are great and I'd get the zip ones for summer walks as well to save cash.

Short sleeved wicking shirt - again 5 quid, then a fleece (got for a hiking fleece, pull over with zip neck)

Then waterproof. I have a North Face, cost 300 but I've had it of 12 years, but I've also got a lightweight 3/4 one - cost 8 quid which is fine to.put over a more expensive coat.

My favourite piece of gear is a soft shell. This is when its not raining - waterproof are not supposed to keep you warm, they keep you dry. A soft shell keeps the wind out and keeps you warm. Get one for about 25 quid.

The trick is getting layers, not big thick coats.

So you get all that at decathlon, my guess would be

Boots - £50

Trousers -£20

Walking socks - £4

Wicking shirt - £5

Fleece - £5

Waterproof - £25

Softshell - £25

Say 130 and you'll be grand.

Or if you have a lot - get a decent soft shell for 50-70. 

They have the added benefit of making you look like a member of The Stone Roses.

Ayacucho do a.lovely navy one from cotswold.outdoor. Will try and find a.link.

here we go - lovely stuff - https://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/p/ayacucho-mens-gale-softshell-jacket-A1514132.html?channable=00ff736964003232323637315f3136303768&colour=1607&utm_source=google&utm_source=google&utm_medium=organic&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=shopping&utm_campaign=Best Sellers £1-4k High Priority tROAS-BOFU-PLA&gclid=Cj0KCQiA0fr_BRDaARIsAABw4Evpv4g7aP42hHe5O6XEk_6V2Adgz38VAeVTirjuGhAA40z__5G2kyAaAlZMEALw_wcB

Edited by Not in Crawley

31 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said: