Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Pwoppa walking gear

Burndens Bogs

Boots have come down in price so much in recent years from mountain warehouse, decathlon - all good formountain trails.

If its leather ones you want, Hi Tec Ravine seem to get good reviews for just over 150, the snowdon might be cheaper. Tog 24 - perhaps the Ingleborough, they are nice.

For under a ton I'd go for Quecha again, so comfortable. I like these, rather than leather boots, but if you don't like a low cut at the back of the ankle they might not be for you.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/men-s-waterproof-mountain-walking-boots-mid-mh500/_/R-p-171904?mc=8493840&utm_source=google&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=Surfaces For Google&utm_content=8493840-2567129&iv_=__iv_p_1_g_61980150214_c_316432703506_w_aud-308557096453:pla-295628810540_n_g_d_c_v__l__t__r_x_pla_y_15177021_f_online_o_8493840-2567129_z_GB_i_en_j_295628810540_s__e__h_9044978_ii__vi__&gclid=Cj0KCQiA0fr_BRDaARIsAABw4EupByIGs_6nPi3z_EfEaq_MBnCRLlxPHKiy7Lfvvfp2oJOwnTLM5OEaAtMOEALw_wcB

4 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

Boots have come down in price so much in recent years from mountain warehouse, decathlon - all good formountain trails.

If its leather ones you want, Hi Tec Ravine seem to get good reviews for just over 150, the snowdon might be cheaper. Tog 24 - perhaps the Ingleborough, they are nice.

For under a ton I'd go for Quecha again, so comfortable. I like these, rather than leather boots, but if you don't like a low cut at the back of the ankle they might not be for you.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/men-s-waterproof-mountain-walking-boots-mid-mh500/_/R-p-171904?mc=8493840&utm_source=google&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=Surfaces For Google&utm_content=8493840-2567129&iv_=__iv_p_1_g_61980150214_c_316432703506_w_aud-308557096453:pla-295628810540_n_g_d_c_v__l__t__r_x_pla_y_15177021_f_online_o_8493840-2567129_z_GB_i_en_j_295628810540_s__e__h_9044978_ii__vi__&gclid=Cj0KCQiA0fr_BRDaARIsAABw4EupByIGs_6nPi3z_EfEaq_MBnCRLlxPHKiy7Lfvvfp2oJOwnTLM5OEaAtMOEALw_wcB

Hi Tec - https://www.outdoorgb.com/p/Hi-Tec_Ravine_Waterproof_Mens_Hiking_Boots/?utm_source=froogle&utm_medium=directory&utm_content=GBR&currency=GBP&country=GBR&SelectedBundle=179641&SelectedItem=645683&gclid=Cj0KCQiA0fr_BRDaARIsAABw4Eso3XSzAjX3PldHhEfQdyMEP6f0UEJRPBWiejdz9sHXamm1fQOppgEaAntDEALw_wcB

Bit more trad, and not for summer, but really good price 

Yo've sent me down a boot rabbit hole now...

Brasher boots were also the best and most expensive when I started walking as a teen, they are stll expensive now but they are a classic and very good brand.

The Hillmaster is the legendary boot, came out early 90s, but the Country Master is lovely -

https://www.blacks.co.uk/15897666/brasher-men-s-country-master-walking-boots-15897666/?istCompanyId=d92b362f-ac8a-4a8a-87ca-c56eafad7955&istFeedId=2f99410f-1124-43d5-8232-86c184f09479&istItemId=ilprmitlx&istBid=t&gclid=Cj0KCQiA0fr_BRDaARIsAABw4EvYrpCXGRtuR_SQfdH4IU3KYvEosYdZg-fAnhJYXZjlO1DEhiViSqkaAsaBEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Ooooh and then there's Scarpa, if you are really want to scramble up that scree....

Also I like wearing gaiters when doing a long yomp like up Nevis, means you can wear a lighterweight trouser.

Edited by Not in Crawley

Decathlon boots are shit for the kinda stuff i do (Open fields,Woodland, constantly wet etc) I've had 2 pairs of those Quechua and they both leaked in water after about 3 months and the uppers on both pairs cracked.

My 1st pair only cost around £40 from Decath, but they were cack so i took them back and got another more expensive pair (Quechua again) - they also failed within 12 -16 weeks and leaked water in.

I took them back to the store, but they didn't want to know ( yet they claim to give a 2 year guarantee) "Too well worn" was the managers line - i'd had them no more than 4 months and had the receipt.

I admit some of their base layers and fleeces are excellent in both quality + value, but their boots are rubbish.

Edited by Burndens Bogs

I got some gelert boots from Mike Ashley's stack em high emporium for £30. They're not bad for the money but probably not cut out for proper hill walking 

I've also rewaxed my barbour this weekend. 8 years still going strong! 

I need a goretex jacket though as I've got the heavy waxed barbour or a lightweight shower proof berghaus. 

53 minutes ago, Burndens Bogs said:

Decathlon boots are shit for the kinda stuff i do (Open fields,Woodland, constantly wet etc) I've had 2 pairs of those Quechua and they both leaked in water after about 3 months and the uppers on both pairs cracked.

My 1st pair only cost around £40 from Decath, but they were cack so i took them back and got another more expensive pair (Quechua again) - they also failed within 12 -16 weeks and leaked water in.

I took them back to the store, but they didn't want to know ( yet they claim to give a 2 year guarantee) "Too well worn" was the managers line - i'd had them no more than 4 months and had the receipt.

I admit some of their base layers and fleeces are excellent in both quality + value, but their boots are rubbish.

Nah - had two pairs done woodlands, clay mud, this winter lots of damp field walks- soil here doesn't drain as well, did Helvellyn in one pair. Decent value kit.

Its your feet that are shit.

Always check the waterproof mm.

Anything less than 20,000 wont keep you dry in anyway shape of form.

Like mickbrown says you dont want to be sweating your tits off. Ive got a DLX trespass over coat for work, breathable and totally waterproof. 

Wear a DLX knitted fleece underneath. Again breathable but wind proof.

Think they were about £70 each.

Like has been said, all about the layers.

My most recent boots have been karrimor leather. Best Ive had were timberlands.

Its Essential you keep your back dry as well as your feet.

You wont beat galivn green for standards, even though its predominantly a golfing brand. 

• Site Supporter
5 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

Bollocks, its this sort of nonsense that pushes folk into buying too expensive kit for no reason.

All gear, no idea etc

Bollocks, you've no fucking idea, but jump to shitty judgements as ever.

I'm extremely conscious of what price/quality I pay. Won't go overboard.

However having also experienced poor stuff from Decathlon, I'll be selective what I get from there in future.

Congratulations on your appreciation of your boots, however, that doesn't make your comments justified.

Just now, Tonge moor green jacket said:

However having also experienced poor stuff from Decathlon, I'll be selective what I get from there in future.

Congratulations on your appreciation of your boots, however, that doesn't make your comments justified.

Do you not wear this sort of clobber and footwear for work in winter etc given nature of your job? 

1 minute ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Bollocks, you do, so there. 

8 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

In general in life, you get what you pay for.

@Youri McAnespiequotes decent wine for a fiver, for example, but, on average, you'll get a better wine for a tenner.

Boots are too important to get wrong. Very difficult to buy online and get it rght

Edited by boltondiver

• Site Supporter
3 minutes ago, gonzo said:

Always check the waterproof mm.

Anything less than 20,000 wont keep you dry in anyway shape of form.

Like mickbrown says you dont want to be sweating your tits off. Ive got a DLX trespass over coat for work, breathable and totally waterproof. 

Wear a DLX knitted fleece underneath. Again breathable but wind proof.

Think they were about £70 each.

Like has been said, all about the layers.

My most recent boots have been karrimor leather. Best Ive had were timberlands.

Its Essential you keep your back dry as well as your feet.

You wont beat galivn green for standards, even though its predominantly a golfing brand. 

Don't think they had 20,000 level stuff when I got my first gore tex, but it never let water in.

The care of the garment is key to maintaining it.

Depending upon water repellent finish applied, they can wear or wash off and need reactivating or reapplying. 

Without adequate repellency, the water doesn't bead up and roll away, so breathability stops and you get soaked in your own perspiration. 

• Site Supporter
4 minutes ago, boltondiver said:

@Youri McAnespiequotes decent wine for a fiver, for example, but, on average, you'll get a better wine for a tenner.

Boots are too imporant to get wrong. Very difficult to buy online and get it rght

Absolutely. 

Always drove Citroën as my brother used to sell them, and it stuck. Eventually bought a vw, and will never go back!

Got an arcteryx goretex waterproof. It was expensive but it holds its own against any rain. Had it a year, no signs of wear, it will last forever. 

Need to look after waterproofs/goretex, wash them with tech wash and then with a rewaterproofer. Once the pores start to clog with sweat and dirt it starts to be less waterproof and needs to be re-done.

2 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Don't think they had 20,000 level stuff when I got my first gore tex, but it never let water in.

The care of the garment is key to maintaining it.

Depending upon water repellent finish applied, they can wear or wash off and need reactivating or reapplying. 

Without adequate repellency, the water doesn't bead up and roll away, so breathability stops and you get soaked in your own perspiration. 

Great minds!

6 minutes ago, boltondiver said:

Boots are too important to get wrong. Very difficult to buy online and get it rght

There's a lot of guff on this thread.

You get the same on running sites about gear.

Actually on most hobby sites, remember loads of the same stuff with guitar gear.

Always from blokes funnily enough.