Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Pwoppa walking gear

Burndens Bogs

• Site Supporter
2 minutes ago, mickbrown said:

Merino. Doesn't whiff.

I'm convinced that woolen products and wool blends will grow in popularity in the future. 

Its a great, natural product and with modern technology I'm sure we'll see more of it.

MiL still hand knits sweaters, and I prefer them to a fleece when under a waterproof. 

1 minute ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

I'm convinced that woolen products and wool blends will grow in popularity in the future. 

Its a great, natural product and with modern technology I'm sure we'll see more of it.

MiL still hand knits sweaters, and I prefer them to a fleece when under a waterproof. 

Loads of cycling gear is merino. It's ace stuff

1 hour ago, boltondiver said:

In general in life, you get what you pay for.

@Youri McAnespiequotes decent wine for a fiver, for example, but, on average, you'll get a better wine for a tenner.

Boots are too important to get wrong. Very difficult to buy online and get it rght

I've NEVER said £5-er wine is owt but utter piss not even fit for sprinkling on one's chips.

Oddbins would've handed me my p45 with immediate effect.

I may have said one may buy decent wine in say, Croatia, for the Kuna equivalent of a fiver - but not here.

The utterly extortionate excise and VAT situation here - where wine is viewed as luxury rather than an essential...

The wine in a £5 bottle is bought for and average of 31p.

It's fucking rubbish (£5 wine in The UK) I'd rather sup the tipple of choice of a 100,000 Spanish hobos - a €1 Litre carton of Don Simon.

Bibendum-Spring-Vinonomics-2020-01-920x6

https://www.decanter.com/learn/tax-wine-much-pay-uk-ask-decanter-357119/

Edited by Youri McAnespie

43 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Much prefer leather for walks where the terrain is wet.

Had the lighter half and half type stuff that is waterproof, but found that walking through long, wet grass, the waterproofing treatments wear off.

Discussed it once in a boot shop, and the lady agreed that leather, when looked after will retain its waterproof nature longer.

Prefer to use traditional wax type treatments too, rather than the water based reactive stuff that you wipe on.

As long as you treat it each season, a three season non leather boot will do just as well for even the longest of wet grass 

Too many trad leather fetishists round here, men of a certain age I suppose.

If I was to.go.for a.more trad boot again, it would definitely be a Brasher though. They are really lightweight nowadays but you'd still need a summer walking shoe or boot, especially here in the warmer.months. Ground is very hard and dry, just no give, wearing leather would just burn your feet up.

To be honest, its all academic for me. I'm know as Zola Budd in the Bromley Ramblers and Non leather boot wearing walking club.

Boots are for women and old Northern men. The only true walkers are bare foot walkers.

In fact, tackle out, back pack on. Thats real rambling. Skin is the most waterproof material known to man. 

• Moderators
6 hours ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Gore tex fabric is/was designed to allow vapour out whilst preventing getting water in. This is achieved by the presence of billions of tiny pores within the fabric which are larger than vapour molecules but smaller than water droplets.

It is absolutely vital to maintain this functionality, by ensuring the garment is clean on the outside and is regularly washed/proofed as necessary to prevent it from wetting out- if this occurs, then the surface layer of water will prevent vapour escaping from within.

Its some 20+ years since I was loosely involved, and no doubt technologies have improved. Gore tex garments are cheaper for example. 

Personally, I suggest you look at the hydrostatic head that the garment will protect you from- should be on the label. Typically, the higher the better, but cost will rise too.

Also maybe try to find out how abrasion resistant the material is.

I love my goretex- doesn’t let rain in, simple. Sure still do get damp inside a bit from sweat- but none are perfect.

Also consider number of layers- too many and vapour has effectively cooled before it gets out of the garment and condenses inside. An issue I've found at times by having too many.

Love a good thermal base layer on first, then clothes according to conditions.

#accidentalpartridge

Edited by ZicoKelly

• Members
10 hours ago, Burndens Bogs said:

Every man and his dog is walking more at the moment, cos there's fuck all else to do. 

Now i'm not talking trekking in the Himalayas in January, but i walk 5 miles every single day in all weathers through fields and woodland  and there's nowt worse than getting pissed wet thru, or freezing cold or worst of all having cold wet feet.

Anyone any recommendations for reasonably priced walking gear that just does the job? 

I've had my fingers burnt with Decathlon stuff in the past, their stuff looks ok ish, but in reality it's just shit.

Footwear wise i'm pretty sorted with waterproof hiking boots form TOG24, coupled with Sealskinz socks - so feet are warm and dry.

Leg wise i've just bought some waterproof over kex from Mountain Warehouse, but it's too early to tell if they're any good or not yet.

Waterproof jackets? Fleeces? etc 

WTF!!! I am still reeling about insults, complaints and inconsiderate comments about 'yomping' from the town centre up COR etc. and now you are asking for walking gear recommendations! FFS!

Julia Bradbury. Great walks and she has a certain something.

4 hours ago, bolty58 said:

WTF!!! I am still reeling about insults, complaints and inconsiderate comments about 'yomping' from the town centre up COR etc. and now you are asking for walking gear recommendations! FFS!

Julia Bradbury. Great walks and she has a certain something.

😀On that particular occasion (15 years ago omg),  new footwear (pre broken in Timberlands iirc)cost me dearly! What i wouldn’t give for a “re-yomp” right now 😂Physically i’m in a far better place than i was back then P,with daily 5-6 mile yomps & regular cycling blasts. It’s our mental states that are perhaps suffering over here at the moment mate,with all the mind numbing and seemingly endless Draconian restrictions 🤪. A day on the lash, watching the Whites,followed by a few more beers,a lovely drunken curry,then a painful yomp up COR would be absolute heaven right now.

Edited by Burndens Bogs

7 hours ago, Burndens Bogs said:

See, Decathlon boots are probably perfectly fine for mincing round Hampstead Heath or prancing up and down the aisles in theatre land, but proper Northern folk who actually live up North need something more substantial.

I didn't know the Lakes were down south, but carry on you shitty footed bugger.

I all.serious though I do love the North is proper hard walking, the South is shite mince land. There is some fine, and difficult, walking to be done down here. The Weald is glorious and difficult. The biggest difference is certainly the soil, I find it much easier up North due to it not being clay, across the Downs in winter there is no drainage for the rain, ends up like glue, and in summer its rock hard and dusty as fuck. Plus flint deposits make it really easy to turn an ankle.

This country has fine, and challenging walking all over, don't kid yourself that its just the North that can offer that. Where I live there are more hills than where I grew up, the whole of this part of London is valleys and hills. The only.lart of the country I've not enjoyed walking is Cambridgeshire, its beautiful but so flat that it becomes a trudge.

If you are ever down south happy to take you out on a yomp - even in some.of London's backwaters there are some excellent walks. Darrent Valley is lovely, hills, views.....Alan Partridges bird sanctuary. 

Edited by Not in Crawley

Boots.

s-l400.jpg

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Jungle-Boots-Genuine-British-Army-Issued-SAS-Size-10R-Best-Condition/402641638126?hash=item5dbf4fd2ee:g:Ch0AAOSwKbNf~CSF

Outerwear.

s-l400.jpg

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NBC-suit-2-Piece-smock-trousers-DPM-British-Army-MK-4/274643166061?hash=item3ff202236d:g:hoQAAOSwA-9feLC6

Waterproof.

s-l400.jpg

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/British-Army-Genuine-1958-Pattern-Poncho-Rain-Cape-Falklands-Cold-War-Bushcraft/203246090883?hash=item2f52693a83:g:4LgAAOSwvyhf~aov

Maintenance.

s-l400.jpg

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NIKWAX-Fabric-and-Leather-Proof-Spray-300ML-Waterproofing-Breathability-Footwear/132589476328

All the above kit costs less than 60 quid all in.

It has the added bonus of people viewing you as a; mentalist/scarred vet/prepper/rapist/disgruntled public sector worker/serial killer/spree killer/Barry Bulsara...(or any in combination - delete as applicable).

So folk give you a wide berth - ideal in current circumstances.

N.B. - I have loads of the two piece NBC Army suits. Falklands issue, double bag vaccuum sealed, as good as the day they were made when opened. And I'm practically giving them away compared to the Ebay clown above. 

Ask Dave at The Winchester for details or PM me direct.

georgecole1.jpg?imwidth=900

Edited by Youri McAnespie

@Rudy

Go back to the post, now edited for the full get-up...

Buy the lot and go walking in it - you'll be guaranteed to be reported to the police as a 'strange man' by some meddlesome ratbag/wanker within seconds.

This means should you get into difficulties, the emergency services will already know your whereabouts.

Winner.

Seriously though, those two part NBC outfits are excellent, cool in summer, warm in winter...

Only problem is the charcoal lining comes off on other clothes and under fingernails etc. for a while when it's 'new' (first taken out of the vaccum pack).

I bought a load of them about twelve years ago - my idiot mate said I got them cheap because he read they'd been 'irradiated during the first Gulf War' - yup, jungle camo works well in a desert...

He had an 'open mind' about chemtrails until recently...🙄

• Members
4 minutes ago, Youri McAnespie said:

@Rudy

Go back to the post, now edited for the full get-up...

Buy the lot and go walking in it - you'll be guaranteed to be reported to the police as a 'strange man' by some meddlesome ratbag/wanker within seconds.

This means should you get into difficulties, the emergency services will already know your whereabouts.

Winner.

The rain poncho is cracking I’d sport that in the ESL.

When I went to the Yokohama there was a market which had either replica or genuine ex army clothing, they had loads of Vietcong gear and Korean army uniforms it was bizarre, the sort of stuff you’d see Lemmy from Motörhead wearing. Next time I’m there I’ll pick you something up. I’ll clean off the agent orange 

@Rudy

Yokohama? Won't gear there be about £300 in Yen?

Might be a bit snug an' all if intended for use by the man in the black pyjamas...

Those ponchos are ace - they can be adapted into a rudimentary tent.

If you watch a lot of survivally stuff (Ray Mears, Grylls, Steve Backshall) you notice a lot of military surplus gear amongst the more modern stuff.