Jump to content
Wanderers Ways - passion not fashion

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I got a few bits, its expensive but its quality, and you can get discounts if you look around, have a Beta SL goretex a Cerium down jacket and a lighter inner down jacket.  Managed to get good di

Much prefer leather for walks where the terrain is wet. Had the lighter half and half type stuff that is waterproof, but found that walking through long, wet grass, the waterproofing treatments w

#accidentalpartridge    

@Rudy

Go back to the post, now edited for the full get-up...

Buy the lot and go walking in it - you'll be guaranteed to be reported to the police as a 'strange man' by some meddlesome ratbag/wanker within seconds.

This means should you get into difficulties, the emergency services will already know your whereabouts.

Winner.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Seriously though, those two part NBC outfits are excellent, cool in summer, warm in winter...

Only problem is the charcoal lining comes off on other clothes and under fingernails etc. for a while when it's 'new' (first taken out of the vaccum pack).

I bought a load of them about twelve years ago - my idiot mate said I got them cheap because he read they'd been 'irradiated during the first Gulf War' - yup, jungle camo works well in a desert...

He had an 'open mind' about chemtrails until recently...🙄

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Youri McAnespie said:

@Rudy

Go back to the post, now edited for the full get-up...

Buy the lot and go walking in it - you'll be guaranteed to be reported to the police as a 'strange man' by some meddlesome ratbag/wanker within seconds.

This means should you get into difficulties, the emergency services will already know your whereabouts.

Winner.

The rain poncho is cracking I’d sport that in the ESL.

When I went to the Yokohama there was a market which had either replica or genuine ex army clothing, they had loads of Vietcong gear and Korean army uniforms it was bizarre, the sort of stuff you’d see Lemmy from Motörhead wearing. Next time I’m there I’ll pick you something up. I’ll clean off the agent orange 

Link to post
Share on other sites

@Rudy

Yokohama? Won't gear there be about £300 in Yen?

Might be a bit snug an' all if intended for use by the man in the black pyjamas...

Those ponchos are ace - they can be adapted into a rudimentary tent.

If you watch a lot of survivally stuff (Ray Mears, Grylls, Steve Backshall) you notice a lot of military surplus gear amongst the more modern stuff.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I've found British army lightweights to be as good as any pwoper walking pants I've ever had, dry quickly, comfortable and hard wearing. If you aren't bothered by wearing it a lot of the army surplus becomes a no brainer because it's made to be functional and last. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, ErnestTurnip said:

I've found British army lightweights to be as good as any pwoper walking pants I've ever had, dry quickly, comfortable and hard wearing. If you aren't bothered by wearing it a lot of the army surplus becomes a no brainer because it's made to be functional and last. 

Did they make you bring out the gimp?

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

I'll see you at the top 😉 

It shouldn't take long, i'm not having it there's anything near the height of Winter Hill within a 50 mile radius of that there London.

Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Burndens Bogs said:

It shouldn't take long, i'm not having it there's anything near the height of Winter Hill within a 50 mile radius of that there London.

Our heighest point in our borough is Betsom's Hill (highest point in London and Kent) its half the height of winter hill.

Although Winter Hill is a bit of a foothill really in terms of decent hill walks. I mean, even I've managed to run up the thing.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Youri McAnespie said:

@Rudy

Yokohama? Won't gear there be about £300 in Yen?

Might be a bit snug an' all if intended for use by the man in the black pyjamas...

Those ponchos are ace - they can be adapted into a rudimentary tent.

If you watch a lot of survivally stuff (Ray Mears, Grylls, Steve Backshall) you notice a lot of military surplus gear amongst the more modern stuff.

I didn’t ask the prices because I asked the price for a nirvana T-shirt, before I knew it the shirt was over my head and the yen was out of my hand

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Site Supporter
1 hour ago, boltondiver said:

Ta v much

Works on inside of windscreens too!

Will wash/wipe off eventually, so will need to reapply. 

It makes the surface more hydrophilic which allows moisture to 'wet out' and therefore form a more even layer which you can see through, as opposed to tiny droplets which bugger up light passing through and thus mist up.

All on a very small scale of course.

Its the opposite of waterproofing that we were discussing on the walking gear thread.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I used to go pwoper fell walking  and still wear a  Paramo Breathable "Nikwax Biological Analogy" coat brought 30 years ago when the rain and wind blows, I very occasionally wash it with LOFT Nikwax.

It's never let me down, keeps me dry and being breathable I don't get sweaty. Cost a few bob at the time (£100 or so in the early 90's) and one guy in a specialist shop referred to it as "old technology" but why should I change it? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Site Supporter
3 minutes ago, Dimron said:

I used to go pwoper fell walking  and still wear a  Paramo Breathable "Nikwax Biological Analogy" coat brought 30 years ago when the rain and wind blows, I very occasionally wash it with LOFT Nikwax.

It's never let me down, keeps me dry and being breathable I don't get sweaty. Cost a few bob at the time (£100 or so in the early 90's) and one guy in a specialist shop referred to it as "old technology" but why should I change it? 

Absolutely. 

Personally, still get sweaty in goretex to an extent, and can't imagine a coat that is so breathable that everything gets let out.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Dimron said:

I used to go pwoper fell walking  and still wear a  Paramo Breathable "Nikwax Biological Analogy" coat brought 30 years ago when the rain and wind blows, I very occasionally wash it with LOFT Nikwax.

It's never let me down, keeps me dry and being breathable I don't get sweaty. Cost a few bob at the time (£100 or so in the early 90's) and one guy in a specialist shop referred to it as "old technology" but why should I change it? 

The wife had one, she bought it for her DofE in her early twenties, sold it on e-bay about 10 years ago for £50, it needed nikwax but went quicker than anything she sold, probably could have sold it for more.

She got rid because it was to small, she wish she hadn't, quality walking coat.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Site Supporter
On 13/01/2021 at 15:58, Burndens Bogs said:

Every man and his dog is walking more at the moment, cos there's fuck all else to do. 

Now i'm not talking trekking in the Himalayas in January, but i walk 5 miles every single day in all weathers through fields and woodland  and there's nowt worse than getting pissed wet thru, or freezing cold or worst of all having cold wet feet.

Anyone any recommendations for reasonably priced walking gear that just does the job? 

I've had my fingers burnt with Decathlon stuff in the past, their stuff looks ok ish, but in reality it's just shit.

Footwear wise i'm pretty sorted with waterproof hiking boots form TOG24, coupled with Sealskinz socks - so feet are warm and dry.

Leg wise i've just bought some waterproof over kex from Mountain Warehouse, but it's too early to tell if they're any good or not yet.

Waterproof jackets? Fleeces? etc 

iirc you’re a mountain biker like me. I just wear my MTB gear and layer it like I do on the bike. It’s designed to wick the sweat away so is perfect imo. I bought some trousers from GroundEffect.nz over 20 years ago for winter riding and I’m still using them for riding and walking in the wet. Can’t go wrong with baggy MTB gear for multi-use imo. Costs a bit more but lasts for ever. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, MancWanderer said:

iirc you’re a mountain biker like me. I just wear my MTB gear and layer it like I do on the bike. It’s designed to wick the sweat away so is perfect imo. I bought some trousers from GroundEffect.nz over 20 years ago for winter riding and I’m still using them for riding and walking in the wet. Can’t go wrong with baggy MTB gear for multi-use imo. Costs a bit more but lasts for ever. 

Yeh i do MTB'ing myself, but if i went walking in my MTB gear at this time if year i'd be freezing cold. In this weather on the Mtb i use maybe 2 thinnish layers topped by a softshell jacket  and shorts, my body heat keeps me warm.Walking with the dog obviously doesn't build up the same body temp, so my top layer is usually a waterproof baggy jacket with a fleece underneath and a long sleeved T shirt under  that, i wouldn't use that attire whilst out on my bike - too hot .Although i like to wear shorts while i'm out on the bike, i wouldn't go out walking in  shorts at this time of year.

Edited by Burndens Bogs
Link to post
Share on other sites

Me and a few mates did the 3 peaks a few years ago. I got some Jack wolfskin boots still got them now they've been great. Got a proper north face rain coat that had a removable fleece and that as been perfect in all weather. It's not the type of North face stuff you see the little bastards in on the streets cost quite a bit too. Well worth the money though 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Aidy82 said:

Me and a few mates did the 3 peaks a few years ago. I got some Jack wolfskin boots still got them now they've been great. Got a proper north face rain coat that had a removable fleece and that as been perfect in all weather. It's not the type of North face stuff you see the little bastards in on the streets cost quite a bit too. Well worth the money though 

Yeh the proper North Face technical  tackle is worlds apart from the tat sold in JD Sports.

Edited by Burndens Bogs
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Announcements


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.