Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Cheltenham (H)

globaldiver

• Site Supporter
56 minutes ago, Eddie said:

I actually don’t think it’s the end of the world if we don’t go up this year AS LONG AS our finances are in a strong enough position to spend another year in L2.

Let’s be honest, we’re not getting to a game this year, so the novelty of being in this league and going to some of the new grounds won’t have worn off, any players that I’d give a shit about keeping are contracted for another year, and in theory another year of building the team/system and stability should mean that we are far stronger and should win a lot more games next year and be at the top of the league from the off (I know that’s a big presumption but the Rose-tinted glasses are on).

Obviously I’d rather us get promoted, but like I say, if FV can sustain us in this league for another season then I won’t be too worried by having another go next year with crowds back.

Great realistic post.

I’d come to an early conclusion after the first few games that the early tub-thumping from IE, raised expectations, promotion predictions and short odds for promotion, we’re all wide of the mark. This project for whoever took it on was not going reap early rewards, there was just too much to do in terms of starting again, recruitment, laying the foundations, bonding of the players, accepting we have a inexperienced manager who’ll make mistakes but will work hard, stick to his principles, give youth a chance and bring in quality where possible.

The brief November surge prompted me to alter my expectations to believe the play-offs/promotion might be possible, but realism has set in again, I think mid-table is where we’ll be come the end of the season.

I want to see progress, Saturday showed a few glimpses, as long as we keep seeing this, I’ll be happy for IE to take us forward and as long as Eddie’s post remains true it will be a good foundation for a belter of a season next  year, with some cracking aways.

57 minutes ago, radcliffewhite1 said:

people are very naive if they think another season in L2 won’t have an impact on the club financially.

But it’s ok as there’s decent away games 

Of course it’s going to impact us financially - we get more income by being in the league above, it’s pretty straightforward. However, you could also say that being in L1 then you’d need better players that cost more and so it’s all relative, the costs go up with the income - we’re certainly not going to suddenly become hugely profit making if we’re in L1 next season rather than L2.

In reality, I’d say it’s more a case of FV having to support the finances more than they would if we are promoted. In that instance, as long as they are happy to and can do (this was my main point), then I don’t really care if we had another season down here but went up next season instead.

I’m not saying it has no bearing on finances, and I don’t presume that we would definitely go up next season, BUT if we are ok financially and we did have a shot of going up and being able to witness it, then not going up this season wouldn’t be a travesty.

8 hours ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Can do what we want with stats...so I will. Just looking at their away games:

Kept 6 clean sheets in 10 games and only lost 3, they don't concede or score many, we can rule out a 6-3 or even a 3-2.

They've won 2, drawn 2 and lost 1 of their last 5 away.

I'll take avoiding defeat, an improved (home) performance, and a goal as a sign of improvement.

Yep, fair point - can make stats look good or bad.

you have got me worried now..........

12 minutes ago, W.cramp said:

Easiest bit of team selection has to be Arthur in place of delfouneso

Might be a decent idea - rest the non performers and play lads who are eager to impress. Like you say, Delf has been a passenger for weeks, Sarcy needs a rest and perhaps a spell at the salad bar. Delaney can just fuck off.

Edited by Burndens Bogs

17 minutes ago, Traf said:

Gilks

Jones / Santos / Delaney / Jackson

Lee / Thomason 

Sarcevic 

Isgrove / Doyle / Elbouzedi

Personally, I'd have Arthur in before Isgrove.

Looks a bit lightweight/inexperienced, but let’s see how we go. COYWM

Edited by Burndens Bogs

• Site Supporter

I’m always a bit wary of new into the building signings being thrown in on the first day. 

I could get my head round the left back going straight in, but presumably if it’s Fonz losing his place then I’d have thought Crawford or Arthur deserve a run out after Tuesday.

And if Tutte is out then I’d have thought Thomason.

Certainly makes for an interesting 2pm  @burnden post for the team.