Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Cheltenham (H)

globaldiver

• Site Supporter

If our midfield was better, Doyle wouldn’t have to come deep half as often and could use more energy being on the shoulder of the last defender. In a better team, he’d have 15 already. 

Sure, he’s no ALF but more than good enough for this level. I’d want a new keeper, 2 new centre halves, a destroyer in midfield and a target man before even assessing whether he’s the man or not.

• Site Supporter
12 minutes ago, Biggish Dave said:

If our midfield was better, Doyle wouldn’t have to come deep half as often and could use more energy being on the shoulder of the last defender. In a better team, he’d have 15 already. 

Sure, he’s no ALF but more than good enough for this level. I’d want a new keeper, 2 new centre halves, a destroyer in midfield and a target man before even assessing whether he’s the man or not.

So half a team needs replacing? That’s the worry. 

• Site Supporter
8 minutes ago, MickyD said:

So half a team needs replacing? That’s the worry. 

Correct, it is a worry. The 2 centre halves scare me to death when crosses come in. I’d prefer Brockbank or Baptiste and Greenidge there to be honest, they won’t be any worse.

Our midfield, especially at home gets carved open far too easily and there’s no focal point to hold the ball up.

We are simply nowhere near where we need to be for promotion

• Site Supporter
12 minutes ago, pauldeva said:

From yesterdays team. Gilks, Jones, Delaney, Isgrove, Thomasson, Elbouzedi are either average at best, not good enough or not ready.

Isgrove who was the best supplier in the game.

Thomasson, who did indeed give the ball away a couple ot times, but who is streets ahead of Crawford in all round play.

Delaney made an important fuck up, but generally was OK and in a defence which largely nullified whatever was chucked at them.

Could go on.

We're in the 4th division, the days of top flight and European football are a distant past.

Evatt says Lee withdrawn as feeling his groin but more of a precaution than an injury........hopefully.  

The big difference when we had the good spell in first half we were not giving the ball away easily and had an outlet on both sides.  New left back did well, not convinced by the winger, but let's see  

1 minute ago, Ani said:

Evatt says Lee withdrawn as feeling his groin but more of a precaution than an injury........hopefully.  

The big difference when we had the good spell in first half we were not giving the ball away easily and had an outlet on both sides.  New left back did well, not convinced by the winger, but let's see  

Big worry Is the groin over compensating for his hip which has been where his injury issues have been. When I had bad hip the groin and back suffered as much as the hip. 

• Members
16 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Big worry Is the groin over compensating for his hip which has been where his injury issues have been. When I had bad hip the groin and back suffered as much as the hip. 

Might be tightness from a lack of full matches. 

• Site Supporter
29 minutes ago, pauldeva said:

Youve based those comments on one game, yesterdays. Isgrove isn't good enough. Thomasson isn't ready to play every game. Delaney has been poor in the games we've played four at the back.

Do go on

Isgrove isn't my favourite by any means. Who else are you playing wide right?

Thomasson has played continuously since his debut apart from Tuesday. Still well above Crawford, and it clearly showed yesterday when he went off.

Who else is replacing Delaney- Greenidge perhaps, but not obviously any better.

So easy to say so many aren't good enough because results aren't the best, but emotions run high during games and it doesn't matter how many headers a defender clears, it is always the one he doesn't that dictates he's shite.

Can apply similar comments to others.

Keeper was terrible on their goal, so therefore isnt good enough etc.

There are only a couple that wouldn't be near the first team for me at the moment, and that is because an apparent lack of effore/interest. Nothing to do with their ability.

Lee is a major gamble I just hope he plays frequently because you can see he is a decent player I cannot believe people having a go about about the new player from Lincokn ffs give him a chance and the comments about Doyle give your heads a wobble .

13 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Isgrove isn't my favourite by any means. Who else are you playing wide right?

Thomasson has played continuously since his debut apart from Tuesday. Still well above Crawford, and it clearly showed yesterday when he went off.

Who else is replacing Delaney- Greenidge perhaps, but not obviously any better.

So easy to say so many aren't good enough because results aren't the best, but emotions run high during games and it doesn't matter how many headers a defender clears, it is always the one he doesn't that dictates he's shite.

Can apply similar comments to others.

There are only a couple that wouldn't be near the first team for me at the moment, and that is because an apparent lack of effore/interest. Nothing to do with their ability.

I'm not saying I have any answers or that we have better options although I thought Ghnoua should have started after his cameo on Tuesday. Just pointing out that if and until Evatt is able to replace these players we have no chance of moving very far up the league.

We're in a transfer window and to have any chance of going up, we need a goalkeeper, centre back and a better winger than Isgrove. I think its been obvious for a while that this is the case.

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Yet yesterday evening, as I was lambasting Doyle based on his woeful display in front of goal in that day’s game, you said my comment was a bit shitty. 

The next day, based on a single mistake by Gilkes which just happened to result in their goal, he’s suddenly not good enough. Based only on his presence behind a fairly weak defence I’d say he has absolute right to his place in the team.  Any other keeper coming in must have the same or a better command of the positional play by the back 3, 4 or 5 defenders.

• Moderators

Ive just watched the defending of that corner

Doyle is definitely guilty of a foul

Probably santos too

Delaney is nowhere near his man

Gilkes probably should do better but hes not helped by tutte? Who maybe couldve stopped the ball even getting to gilkes

• Site Supporter
15 hours ago, JimmyRiddle said:

Is he really, well probably in the squad, but that not saying much.

All I see is him scoring tap in's, missing a lot of chances and anything form any distance he rarely gets on target. I struggle to see how he was top scorer last season with the form he has shown for us. Virtually every other team has a striker who has scored more than Doyle!

However he not the worst of out problems and seems to be a grafter so will give him that, but natural goalscorer I'm not having.

If he had people making runs around him he would get more space. As it is he spends too much time coming deep because he is the only one the centre halfs have to worry about. As soon as we make those runs he finds the space to get chances but we only do it for 15 minutes per game. 

He may not be breaking any pots at the moment but when/if the rest of the team starts to click he will get plenty. 

It seems that Evatt is still learning his trade and with the players available at his disposal is unsure of tactics, formation or playing style. I expected better but there has been some improvement in morale and fighting spirit. I am disappointed that we seem to be going back to loaning players again which is a terrible waste of resources, as was appointing Phoenix who has clearly signed players that Evatt does not rate or want to play. I worry that players like Darcy, Brockbank and Riley will be discarded when quite clearly they look like players who have been coached at a reasonable level, it is not evident in the new players signed. Darcy has hardly been given a sniff even though he is clearly has more talent than Isgrove, Fonz and especially  Crawford . Brockbank is a decent passer of the ball and can play along a the back four, but is often quickly discarded . Although I will concede that Thomasson and Arthur are getting a chance. Also our number 10s fitness and conditioning is, for a professional player, abysmal. He would not get into Sam's or Bruce's team looking like that and Evatt has made him captain.

Promotion this season at the moment just does not look a possibility and I think Evatt will have this season and the beginning of next to improve the team and structure of the club. Including setting up of a scouting network and improving the coaching of the younger lads. However, what do we do for the rest of the season? Go for promotion by winging it with disjointed methods relying on individual players getting us out of a trouble or the setting up of a more youthful team with a fixed formation and a consistent approach and method. 

13 minutes ago, nantwichwhite said:

It seems that Evatt is still learning his trade and with the players available at his disposal is unsure of tactics, formation or playing style. I expected better but there has been some improvement in morale and fighting spirit. I am disappointed that we seem to be going back to loaning players again which is a terrible waste of resources, as was appointing Phoenix who has clearly signed players that Evatt does not rate or want to play. I worry that players like Darcy, Brockbank and Riley will be discarded when quite clearly they look like players who have been coached at a reasonable level, it is not evident in the new players signed. Darcy has hardly been given a sniff even though he is clearly has more talent than Isgrove, Fonz and especially  Crawford . Brockbank is a decent passer of the ball and can play along a the back four, but is often quickly discarded . Although I will concede that Thomasson and Arthur are getting a chance. Also our number 10s fitness and conditioning is, for a professional player, abysmal. He would not get into Sam's or Bruce's team looking like that and Evatt has made him captain.

Promotion this season at the moment just does not look a possibility and I think Evatt will have this season and the beginning of next to improve the team and structure of the club. Including setting up of a scouting network and improving the coaching of the younger lads. However, what do we do for the rest of the season? Go for promotion by winging it with disjointed methods relying on individual players getting us out of a trouble or the setting up of a more youthful team with a fixed formation and a consistent approach and method. 

Good post especially pointing out the coaching of players coming through our own academy