Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Cheltenham (H)

globaldiver

• Site Supporter
31 minutes ago, Duck Egg said:

Says the bloke who said Elbouzadi isnt good enough.

Aye, good point.

Deciding Delaney is shite for 4 games where he may have been below his previous standard doesnt make him shite neither. 

Over the season, he's been pretty consistent. No world beater, but solid enough- the issues the defence has had from set pieces this season is a collective one, and for me they perhaps need to look at what is done in training. 

• Site Supporter
2 hours ago, MickyD said:

Yet yesterday evening, as I was lambasting Doyle based on his woeful display in front of goal in that day’s game, you said my comment was a bit shitty. 

The next day, based on a single mistake by Gilkes which just happened to result in their goal, he’s suddenly not good enough. Based only on his presence behind a fairly weak defence I’d say he has absolute right to his place in the team.  Any other keeper coming in must have the same or a better command of the positional play by the back 3, 4 or 5 defenders.

You really need to read posts and replies in full for fuck's sake.

16 hours ago, Burndens Bogs said:

So which Bolton player do you think has taken games by the “scruff of the neck” in the last 12 months?

We'd have to go back several years, I'm going with Ameobi in that TV game v Gillingham.  There may have been 1 or 2 more that season eg Alf or Morais.  We're not even looking for stand out performances, we just want slightly above average for league 2 and so far this season most performances, with the exception of Tutte and 1 or 2 others, have been below average to say the least.

8 hours ago, masi 51 said:

Cannot believe the bollocks spouted on here...Darcy is as good as anything in our midfield maybe Lee is a class above him and Tutte does a job Darcy cannot do.

Anyone who is having a go at Doyle needs to give there head a shake or go shopping Saturday afternoon with there wifes ffs

Agree with all of that.

8 hours ago, Duck Egg said:

I couldn't bring myself to sit through iFollow yesterday.  Based on that ^ we've battered the 6th placed side (a team we've already beaten) and on another day the game would be over by half time.

We're not far off.

Keep the faith.

The highlights are kind.  Yes, we had a good spell from about 30 to 45 minutes.  If we'd scored 1 then, which we deserved, that's about the ratio you'd expect from that spell of pressure, so we go in at H-T 1 up.  The highlights don't show any of their attacks in the 1st half or the Gilks save at 0-1.  That game was the archetypal "draw was a fair result", nothing to choose between the 2 teams (which is an improvement on most home games this season), we had a spell of pressure but could never be described as battering them.

9 hours ago, marple whites said:

Watching the highlights you can’t believe we only drew.

isgrove got all the crosses in for the chances first half.

we should be dealing with a header that far out for their goal.

I've critcised Isgrove, as most have, but credit where its due, he had an impact yesterday and his crossing was decent.  That's the impact I've not really seen from Kioso in terms of delivery into the box.  I'm also hopeful its partly as a result of playing as an orthodox winger instead of being shoehorned into a wingback system.  Better late than never.

9 hours ago, Biggish Dave said:

If our midfield was better, Doyle wouldn’t have to come deep half as often and could use more energy being on the shoulder of the last defender. In a better team, he’d have 15 already. 

Sure, he’s no ALF but more than good enough for this level. I’d want a new keeper, 2 new centre halves, a destroyer in midfield and a target man before even assessing whether he’s the man or not.

I may be wrong but no other teams I've seen in this league have one.  Just players upto the task in most positions.  We've got more than enough in midfield now that we've replaced White with Lee.  Tutte picks himself, Sarcevic isnt going anywhere, and take your pick from Thomasson, Darcy, Crawford, Kioso, Isgrove not to mention Arthur out wide.  

Agree re keeper and target man - Murphy would have been perfect, they are few and far between and I havent seen any playing against us that would improve us.  Only one I can think of is that one that played for Southend against us last year.

1 hour ago, Johnnyrotten said:

I may be wrong but no other teams I've seen in this league have one.  Just players upto the task in most positions.  We've got more than enough in midfield now that we've replaced White with Lee.  Tutte picks himself, Sarcevic isnt going anywhere, and take your pick from Thomasson, Darcy, Crawford, Kioso, Isgrove not to mention Arthur out wide.  

Agree re keeper and target man - Murphy would have been perfect, they are few and far between and I havent seen any playing against us that would improve us.  Only one I can think of is that one that played for Southend against us last year.

Aye he’s a good un that lad, now at Rochdale scored 6 in 11. Steve Humphrys. 

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, kent_white said:

I don't get the big love in with Darcy.

He looks OK when I've seen him but he's never ripped up any trees for me. 

Not exactly had much chance this season. Sub appearances when losing in the main.

Unfair to judge without a run of games, which he doesn't seem likely to get.

1 hour ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Not exactly had much chance this season. Sub appearances when losing in the main.

Unfair to judge without a run of games, which he doesn't seem likely to get.

Needs a loan for me. I thought he was one of the better players out of a bad lot last year. Don't get me wrong he might turn out to be a decent player - but I just don't see the clamour to get him into the side. 

Would love to be proved wrong of course! :)

• Site Supporter

This clamouring for Darcy is a desperate response without any sensible rationale.

He scored one good goal last season & then proceeded to give the ball away twice that led to 2 of the 5 goals against us that night.

That one goal aside, I'm struggling to remember anything else that he's contributed.

Except for some great shithousery in the corners.

Edited by Steejay

I'm surprised Thomason is getting criticism. His emergence has to be one of the few successes this season.

Playing 9th tier football in October FFS. Not afraid to get stuck in, looks to play it forward and seems to have a decent left foot on him. Done far better than several experienced pros in my eyes.

• Site Supporter
11 hours ago, Steejay said:

This clamouring for Darcy is a desperate response without any sensible rationale.

He scored one good goal last season & then proceeded to give the ball away twice that led to 2 of the 5 goals against us that night.

That one goal aside, I'm struggling to remember anything else that he's contributed.

Except for some great shithousery in the corners.

Given the consistency of fonz and Crawford, together with occasional injuries, more appearances might have been expected purely as he is "next on the rank".

Being honest, no one has ripped up any trees, however some of the lads already here were not in the team initially, but have since proved their worth. 

A few more appearances from the bench, a run of a few games, and who knows he may prove himself.

No one should be judged on last year- even then he didn't let anyone down.

• Site Supporter
9 hours ago, Traf said:

I'm surprised Thomason is getting criticism. His emergence has to be one of the few successes this season.

Playing 9th tier football in October FFS. Not afraid to get stuck in, looks to play it forward and seems to have a decent left foot on him. Done far better than several experienced pros in my eyes.

Absolutely right.

Would like to see him get further forward a bit more too- that effort on goal the other day was excellent, good skill and composure.

9 hours ago, Traf said:

Easy target because he looks awkward in his movements