Jump to content
Wanderers Ways - passion not fashion

My Dog is a Dick Head


Recommended Posts

Now I know it's nurture vs nature, and I'm the one at fault;

However

He is a proper cockwomble. 

Dalmatian, had him since a pup. Due to an unfortunate series of events he's not been walked anywhere near enough for past 18 months. Off the lead he's great, until he sees another dog. On the lead, he's forgotten to walk at pace- missus can't handle him and I struggle to keep up (long vid innit). 

But in the house he can be a right wanker. No food is safe, he's destroyed a couple of nice sofas, and if he doesn't get what he wants, he'll just piss against the bin. 

When he is chilled, he's amazing. So loving and happy in our company...

 

Any tips? 

 

At £900 a pup I ain't cutting his nuts off yet

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Dogs like a Dalmatian need exercise, exercise and more exercise. What sort of lead are you using when walking? The best type is the single cord with the loop at the end, hold the grip in your lef

I've got a 13 yr old Manny Terrier and his eyes are going, he barks at wheelie bins on the pavement when they are left out at night... needs to go to spec-savers! Walks to heel really nicely all

Ours might chase a ball if youre lucky He might even bring it back, but no way is he letting you have it to chuck it away again Id forgotten birds, they are also on his bark list He was

As said earlier tonight ,the best thing for a puppy is to live in a house of cats , they tolerate nothing and their rule is law'

It is irrelevant if you have gone to work , the shops or for a shit , they tell the wee beastie that they are the lowest of the low

A dog brought up in a cat house has no idea on how to bully their owners or kids , or food raid , they just accept their place in the pecking order

They come last

But will give you years of love and devotion with no hassel

Link to post
Share on other sites

sorry fella but if he is that age it is no advice

to be fair you have to be all over him , like bad  santa , so he knows who is boss

and exercise , exercise , exercise 

that is the language they understand , and feed raw meat

its in freezers in the big pet shops , not any more expensive than normal pet food , but if she is  taking on a cows head it takes a little  longer than a tin of pedigree chum

and can then settle in front of the fire on a night like this

Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't shoot the messenger...

Follow the link at the end - maybe some advice there, if you sift through some of the 'stating the bleeding obvious'...

"there are a good number of poorly-bred Dalmatians around, mostly produced when owners watch the 101 Dalmatians movie and think it might be fun to make spotted puppies and sell them for big bucks. These poorly-bred pups often end up with serious temperament flaws..."

https://www.yourpurebredpuppy.com/reviews/dalmatians.html

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Dalmatians need tons of exercise, no wonder your dog is being distructive, think you'd have a totally different dog on your hands if the dog burned all his energy off. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

We got our Pointer from a family down south who could no longer cope with him.  He was destroying bedding and furniture and was way too excitable for their kids.

Clear boundaries and lots and lots of exercise worked a treat.  Whipping his nuts off helped too, I'm sure.

The price of pedigree pups is going to plummet, post pandemic, due to families no longer having the time to look after their £4k spaniels 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I've got a 1.5 year old cockapoo. If he doesn't get his exercise he's a fucking nightmare. Seems to have calmed down recently at night time. Used to want to play ball for 2 hours straight. 

Little sod has a sock/knicker fetish too. Can't let him anywhere near the washing. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Professional training school. Took my first one a beagle, he’s completely clicked trained, responds to a click immediately. Collie is getting there but he’s a pup.

Dogs with hyper characteristics need plenty of early training and definitely need waking twice a day, it’s cruel otherwise because they start to go mad 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Moderators
2 hours ago, Blondi said:

Prices of dogs during this pandemic are ridiculous,  one of my wife's pals recently paid 3 grand for a cockapoo and they're a mixed breed.

We have got one

They are a cross

But we got ours 7 years ago and even then they were into the range of inbred pedigree pricing at 750 quid

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Blondi said:

Prices of dogs during this pandemic are ridiculous,  one of my wife's pals recently paid 3 grand for a cockapoo and they're a mixed breed.

My mate just paid £3K4 for a Cavapoo puppy two weeks ago 

 

We've got a Cockapoo (bought almost 7 years ago for £500), he's a real dick, love him to pieces, but he's fucking mental. I thought he'd calm down once he stopped being a puppy, but he's nearly 7 now, and still as daft as a brush

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Members
2 hours ago, little whitt said:

take it in the car for a long drive 

then for a walk tie it to a tree and leave the fucker there 

To a high branch or to the trunk. People may need further instruction.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Moderators
9 minutes ago, Sweep said:

My mate just paid £3K4 for a Cavapoo puppy two weeks ago 

 

We've got a Cockapoo (bought almost 7 years ago for £500), he's a real dick, love him to pieces, but he's fucking mental. I thought he'd calm down once he stopped being a puppy, but he's nearly 7 now, and still as daft as a brush

Haha

Folk see ours being a dick, laugh at him and give it the, awww how old is he, expecting it to be 7 months, rather than 7 years

On hough fold way, theres a wooden bear in a front garden

He runs at it and barks every time he passes, probs 3 times a week

Push irons, golden retrievers, motor bikes all get the barking treatment

And the front windiw sill has been twatted over the years...postman, cats, squurrels, lions, he goes berserk

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Site Supporter

Some sprays you can get that will deter pissing- could try one.

Does he like a ball or toy when out?

Chucking a ball is a great way to get them knackered without being out for too long if time is an issue.

We also use a BARF based diet, but cooked with veg added. Food could be a contributory factor, enough stories of dippy dogs getting better better a change.

Like others, I do reckon exercise I key. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

 

Chucking a ball is a great way to get them knackered without being out for too long if time is an issue.

 

Ours loves chasing a ball, but then without warning, I'll launch it miles (using one of them chucking things) and he'll just sit their and I end up going to fetch it 🙂

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Site Supporter
6 hours ago, Youri McAnespie said:

Don't shoot the messenger...

Follow the link at the end - maybe some advice there, if you sift through some of the 'stating the bleeding obvious'...

"there are a good number of poorly-bred Dalmatians around, mostly produced when owners watch the 101 Dalmatians movie and think it might be fun to make spotted puppies and sell them for big bucks. These poorly-bred pups often end up with serious temperament flaws..."

https://www.yourpurebredpuppy.com/reviews/dalmatians.html

 

I had this exact conversation the other day after seeing a Dalmatian kick off with two German shepherds 

In my 4.5 years of dog walking they are consistently the breed that always has issues with other dogs

Link to post
Share on other sites

Dogs like a Dalmatian need exercise, exercise and more exercise.

What sort of lead are you using when walking? The best type is the single cord with the loop at the end, hold the grip in your left hand and communicate with gentle tugs with your right whilst softly coaching him.

Congratulate when he's done well with a small liver treat, he'll then get the mind set "Hmm, which do I prefer? Kicking off or a bit of liver?" when he sees something to react to.

Keep relaxed, tension raises their anxiety and if you see something that he might kick off to, coach him and keep him out of the zone.

Be totally consistent with all this, never budge and stay the boss. If you meet people talk to them and ask them to ignore the dog so he knows he's down in the pecking order, dogs need to know their place in the pack and are happier for it.

Then there's always Vernon Street

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Casino said:

Haha

Folk see ours being a dick, laugh at him and give it the, awww how old is he, expecting it to be 7 months, rather than 7 years

On hough fold way, theres a wooden bear in a front garden

He runs at it and barks every time he passes, probs 3 times a week

Push irons, golden retrievers, motor bikes all get the barking treatment

And the front windiw sill has been twatted over the years...postman, cats, squurrels, lions, he goes berserk

Ours barks at any other dog that's bigger than him, he's a fucking wimp though and hides if they come for him. I walked him this morning, and he was scared of a bin that somebody had put out, we had to cross the road, whilst he viewed it with much suspicion.

Pigeons are his nemesis, they land in the garden, he runs after them barking his head off, and they just fly up onto the shed or one of the other buildings and stare at him, which proper sends him off his head. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Site Supporter
10 hours ago, crawshawbooth said:

sorry fella but if he is that age it is no advice

to be fair you have to be all over him , like bad  santa , so he knows who is boss

and exercise , exercise , exercise 

that is the language they understand , and feed raw meat

its in freezers in the big pet shops , not any more expensive than normal pet food , but if she is  taking on a cows head it takes a little  longer than a tin of pedigree chum

and can then settle in front of the fire on a night like this

Wouldn't go near raw meat if you're not in a position to let them run it off for as long as it takes - think it gives them miles more energy, so if he's being a dick now he'll be even worse

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Announcements


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.