Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Our Goalkeeper Situation

Ruba Mustafa

Looks as if Billy C may go back to Fleetwood but it’s complicated by them being managerless and have too many keepers themselves! 

Fleetwood have their ex number 1 keeper on the bench, Alex Cairns, he’s a belter, do a swap deal? 

Ive been well happy with Gilks, he’s done a great job, I’d be happy for him to continue to be honest.

• Site Supporter

I've said a week or so back, we had 4 positions higher priority than keeper. Dec John and Kieran Lee have sorted 2 of them. A commanding centre half and target man would sort the other 2.

I'm happy enough with Gilks so a new keeper would have to be quality to dislodge him

We began the season on a hope & a prayer with Crellin. God knows what he'll develop into but he's no use as first choice at present. It was a mistake. Many, many goals were shipped due to his presence. Not simply errors he made but the lack of confidence in him affected defenders too.

We had an 18/19 year old who Evatt didn't trust to even be on the bench, so much so that we went into games with no keeper on reserve.

We had a very capable 38 year old as back-up who by now really is a coach & wasn't match-fit when even Evatt, eventually, saw Crellin needing changing.

Gilks has done well but is a pull, a knock, an unfortunate sending off from us needing an alternative. It'd be very risky to rely on him alone.

Even if it's just for a loan we need a proper one. Soon.

Edited by Dr. Feelgood

Exactly, which I why I raised the thread.

oh I agree mounts, our need for a striker is greater, but I believe we got one lined up so for me this is now our biggest issue.

I reckon Cairns would be at the top of IE’s most wanted list, sweeper keeper, right up his street.

He an experienced, championship level keeper who could make the spot his own for the next five years. (Tho we be in prem by then 😂)

If Wilesy at Fleetwood needs to reduce the wage bill then I’m hoping a deal can be done.

11 minutes ago, Ruba Mustafa said:

Exactly, which I why I raised the thread.

oh I agree mounts, our need for a striker is greater, but I believe we got one lined up so for me this is now our biggest issue.

I reckon Cairns would be at the top of IE’s most wanted list, sweeper keeper, right up his street.

He an experienced, championship level keeper who could make the spot his own for the next five years. (Tho we be in prem by then 😂)

If Wilesy at Fleetwood needs to reduce the wage bill then I’m hoping a deal can be done.

I’d like to see Joel Coleman at BWFC he’s LH lad, remember his grandad playing local football in goal in the 70s and went on to run the best pub in LH. 

Edited by Mounts Kipper

36 minutes ago, Mr Grey said:

Correct, we need a solid keeper. 

Experienced managers tend to bring a goalie with them, Warnock with Paddy Kenny, Rioch with Brannigan, Big Sam took Jussi to West Ham and so on

Edited by Dimron

Hasn’t Gilks said that he’d rather not be our first team keeper, but he’s happy to stand in for the good of the team? I’m sure I’ve read it somewhere.

If that is the case, then purely for that reason alone we should be looking for a replacement- it’s not fair to take advantage of his goodwill if he’s not 100% happy with the position.

I also agree with the injuries point so all in all we need a new keeper at some point in the next 2 weeks.

• Members
8 hours ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Hold up centre forward is priority for me, if we can make the ball stick upfront a lot of our defensive issues will disappear. However I’d send Crellin back ASAP in case someone else became available. 

Definitely, we’re either chasing the ball or can’t hold it up, we need a different kind of forward to Doyle

1 hour ago, Mr Grey said:

he's probably learned more in 5 months with us than he ever did at Barrow.

I took Evatt's Billy Big Boots quotes with a pinch of salt at the beginning of the season. It has panned out as the "glass half empty" part of me feared and we are now employing a young manager while he is learning his trade. However I really don't want to be forever changing managers and bringing in new tactical geniuses all the time, so in my opinion he is still welcome.

Mr Evatt if you are reading this, get yourself a big ugly goalkeeper to give Gilks a day off when needed and give some confidence to the guys with their backs turned to our goal. Do the basics by building from the back and not leaving open areas that can be exploited. Then, once established we can start experimenting... Evolution not Revolution!

• Moderators

If youve got players worse than the rest of division 2 you play shit football

But plenty wanted pretty stuff

In this league, we should be good enough to go toe to toe

You only need to look at the brand evatt thread

The excitement was about having a manager who wanted to play fancy dan

I'm pretty sure most of the noise was coming from the total football crowd