Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Our Goalkeeper Situation

Ruba Mustafa

• Members
11 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

I did mean to type 'underestimate' rather than 'understand' but I'm glad that you knew what I meant!

Always likely to get a mistake or two from a goalkeeper over the course of the season at any level but as a percentage it must be a fraction of Crellin.

Regardless of what division we're in next season, it'll be interesting to see what happens over the summer in terms of the goalkeeper situation.

It’ll be a no.1 priority in summer, whether we sign Jensen or look elsewhere 

2 minutes ago, Rudy said:

It’ll be a no.1 priority in summer, whether we sign Jensen or look elsewhere 

If Jensen was to be such a big part of the plan then I'd have thought we'd have seen a lot more of him by now.

I'd hope we learn our lesson and don't go down the unproven youngster route. Will be plenty of experienced keepers without a club.

• Members
1 minute ago, Leyther_Matt said:

If Jensen was to be such a big part of the plan then I'd have thought we'd have seen a lot more of him by now.

I'd hope we learn our lesson and don't go down the unproven youngster route. Will be plenty of experienced keepers without a club.

Gilks record since coming in must make it quite hard to drop him 

• Members
2 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Depends whether he thinks he's capable of another year given he turns 39 in the summer.

Oh I don’t think he’ll do another season as a player, just think the run we went on it would have been hard to drop him regardless of how good Jensen is

4 hours ago, Rudy said:

Oh I don’t think he’ll do another season as a player, just think the run we went on it would have been hard to drop him regardless of how good Jensen is

Not sure Rudy the way he’s talking. He looks pretty fit to me and seems to be agile enough to continue next year if he wants to. If we sign a good back up keeper then I’d be more than happy for him to continue.

• Members
24 minutes ago, Whitesince63 said:

Not sure Rudy the way he’s talking. He looks pretty fit to me and seems to be agile enough to continue next year if he wants to. If we sign a good back up keeper then I’d be more than happy for him to continue.

I think it’s more to do whether he’ll be good enough for the next league. Different animal league 1

• 1 month later...

A BIG well done to gilks for stepping into the breach when he did, he’s made a massive difference to our performances and long may it continue.

id be happy to go with him again next season but we will have to see what happens.

quick mention for BC, presume he’s gone back to Fleetwood now, good luck to the lad, sorry it didn’t work out, he’s got the best feet in L2 and I’ve no doubt he will play at a good level in the future, I’ll certainly go to watch him and give him a cheer when he plays local.

• Site Supporter

Top priority for next season. We've seen the improvement of all the players since we got a confident keeper on. Gilks has helped to make proper players out of Santos and Baptiste but we need to get one in and have Gilks as a spare.

• Site Supporter
2 hours ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

Blackpool Borough, by the Airport, is the best he'll manage.

I agree. He’ll be one of those youngsters who everyone will remember as, “He played for Bolton” If he’s lucky, it will be followed by “but he didn’t quite make it.” rather than, “he was fucking useless!”