Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

23 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

Its Bolton's, its not from a national collection, if its the fonthill abbey one.

i dunno , i just remember it not being behind glass (which i found somewhat strange) and it not being big. i went back to it coz i couldnt believe how good i thought it were. 

hours went by. 

even that forgers stuff was tip top, his virgin mary thing, maybe the plate too. A Plus.

him pissing about in a canal for the right clay , used to be here

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m00095hs

Edited by e2e4
programme

55 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Works of art maybe...

I always pop into the Uni (and College) end of year shows to do a bit of scouting...Nowt doing so far.

Some of the pieces I've seen - I'd get the artist(s) sectioned.

I wouldn't mind some work by Moir - if I get a windfall from other activities.

Or a big commission myself.

😀

Edited by Youri McAnespie

5 hours ago, stevieb said:

I think this might be the thread that unifies the forum. 

Outlying chance that NiC is that much of a luvvie he thinks mouse scribbles are proper art. 

Also every chance Cheese is his usual contrarian. 

I think everyone else is right behind you Youri in that shit "art" is just bollocks. 

Not a luvvie. I do work for the oldest arts and museum charity in the UK at the moment.

But like fuck am I getting dragged into this discussion on here.

5 hours ago, Spider said:

Let's be clear

Tracey Emin. Not art.

Homer Simpson smashing up that BBQ is better than anything she's ever done. I absolutely begrudge her every single penny she's "earned" from wheeling her fucking bed into an empty room and charging attention hungry Japs and snooty students to smell it.

Well as I say.its not for anyway to say what is or isn't.

Anyway, one of my first projects was working with the RA on this https://theartsdesk.com/visual-arts/tracey-emin-edvard-munch-royal-academy-review-juxtapositions-confuse-rather-clarify

Have a read if you want, don't if you think it'll bore you. I was very lucky, I found it amazing, and really interesting. I knew very little about Munch but so fascinating, and some of Emin's work i loved. In fact, got a lovely print for Christmas from this exhibition.

It got middling reviews, as above but its worth your time having a read about this part of her work. For me, she has got better with age and love her later work.

Just now, Escobarp said:

Art is for fannys and snowflakes. And most folk that go on about it have zero actual understanding or appreciation of it (not saying that the case with you H). 

and  That’s a boom fact. 

Well its an opinion to be fair.

Id say there are loads of opinions already on this thread and that's a good thing in my view. I guess its what you define as understanding, as unlike say an equation, there isn't a finite answer, or indeed a right or wrong.

Is there pretension, yes. Do.i like all modern art, no as there are so many different types. To.me its like saying i don't like punk because I'm not a fan of The Damned. 

Anyway, like a gullible fucktard I'm getting drawn in to this topic and I don't want to as I'm sick of taking about art, galleries and museums for the week. I'm.off to have a kebab and watch shit TV.

5 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

Art is for fannys and snowflakes...

I guarantee five artists, picked at random, could outdrink and outdrug any given five 'football lads'.

The creative would still be going strong whilst the destructive would be rocking on their haunches in a corner - one or two bitterly weeping, having soiled themselves.

And that's a BOOM! Fact.

Just now, Youri McAnespie said:

I guarantee five artists, picked at random, could outdrink and outdrug any given five 'football lads'.

The creative would still be going strong whilst the destructive would be rocking on their haunches in a corner - one or two bitterly weeping, having soiled themselves.

And that's a BOOM! Fact.

That’s a very good measure of being a Fanny and a snowflake you’ve invented there mate. Good on ya 

3 hours ago, Not in Crawley said:

In my new job I work with art galleries all day long and I'll be fucked if I can be bothered chatting about it on here. Anyway, its year end and I'm putting off doing my accruals, so if you'll excuse me.

I just did my accruals - three flushes it took to shift it

• Site Supporter

Got a few bits and pieces of artwork. 

One from a fashion/design student I worked with, one from an Egyptian beastiality loving textile student, and various other stuff.

All significantly more impressive than some scribble of a 'swan' or a soiled bed, no doubt worth a lot less, but I like them, which I suppose is the point.

About 5 years ago I was working for Dmitry Rybolovlev, he was going through the largest divorce ever at the time (4.5 billion) and I ended up in charge of ‘hiding’ some of his private art collection.

little did I know how much this would sell for a few years later 

https://www.artnews.com/art-news/news/collector-dmitry-rybolovlev-seller-450-3-m-leonardo-questioned-monaco-corruption-allegations-11294/amp/

Edited by royal white

3 hours ago, Dimron said:

Try to get a copy of Shaun Greenhalgh's "A Forger's Tale"

Its a good read, he put the art industry in it's place, was it a De Vinci or Sally from the Co-Op?

I still find that fascinating.

The Art Institute of Chicago paid $125,000 for a sculpture supposedly created by Paul Gauguin and had it on display for ten years, except it had been created by a loner in a shed in the back garden of a Bromley Cross council house.

44 minutes ago, SatanGreavsie said:

As I posted many moons ago when Megson was around  - "Moaning Lisa"

gallery_7_32_17796.jpg

And now coming up we have Lot number 143 - Sant N. Grievseh's Digital Rendering 'The Moaning Lisa' created in 2008. Lots of interest regarding this work and we can start with a commission bid of one hundred and forty five thousand dollars, do I hear one sixty..?

Satan's piece is far better than anything by this hack...

A exploded photograph, unaltered except for omission of the logo/blurb, of an old Marlboro advert?

That'll be $3m...

If you read nowt else exposing the chicanery of some talentless fuckers read this, even skim it.

What a plaigarising charlatan.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/technology/2015/jul/18/instagram-artist-richard-prince-selfies

It must be 'art' though as we're reacting to it, discussing it, emoting over it, bullsh it.

Edited by Youri McAnespie

51 minutes ago, Youri McAnespie said:

And now coming up we have Lot number 143 - Sant N. Grievseh's Digital Rendering 'The Moaning Lisa' created in 2008. Lots of interest regarding this work and we can start with a commission bid of one hundred and forty five thousand dollars, do I hear one sixty..?

Me "going to the Reebok" must be worth a bit then

gallery_7_32_33777.jpg

8 hours ago, Spider said:

The highlight of my honeymoon in Tuscany (aside from some sodomy in a sunken marble bath) was a visit to the Uffizi in Florence. It was the reason I chose to go.

Gentile da Fabriano's Adoration of the Magi, several Boticelli's and of course a number of works by Da vinci & Michealangelo simply blow you away.

The Van Gogh museum in Amsterdam is also an absolute wonder.

Art, of course, is subjective. But things like the painting above - which is clearly the work of a demented grown up or a talentless toddler - is bullshit no matter which way you dress it up. "It generates passionate reactions" cry the thin men in winklepickers. No, lads, it's fucking dogshit.

Proper art, art that sends the creator to the madhouse, or that takes a lifetime to acheive, is the real deal, and justifies the pricing.

For clarity, the scribbled fingermouse is fucking rank and if I was a billionaire I'd buy it and set fire to it on live television.

Did it hurt?

1 hour ago, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

I still find that fascinating.

The Art Institute of Chicago paid $125,000 for a sculpture supposedly created by Paul Gauguin and had it on display for ten years, except it had been created by a loner in a shed in the back garden of a Bromley Cross council house.

The TV documentary about the Greenhalghs, "The Artful Codgers " was tremendous.  Coming from less than half a mile away in B/X, I share the locals' amusement & a bit of pride !!