Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

3 hours ago, Spider said:

I’ve just taken a picture of a hair bobble in a piece of dog shit.

Im calling it “Lockdown Still Life” and my reserve is £298489293766899372668298

Gilbert and George have probably already done this. 

They probably asked for less money than you , tho

Artist's Shit - Wikipedia

Artist's Shit (Italian: Merda d'artista) is a 1961 artwork by the Italian artist Piero Manzoni. The work consists of 90 tin cans, each reportedly filled with 30 grams (1.1 oz) of faeces, and measuring 4.8 by 6.5 centimetres (1.9 in × 2.6 in), with a label in Italian, English, French, and German .
A tin was sold for €124,000 at Sotheby's on May 23, 2007;[5] in October 2008 tin 83 was offered for sale at Sotheby's with an estimate of £50,000–70,000. It sold for £97,250. On October 16, 2015, tin 54 was sold at Christies for £182,500. In August 2016, at an art auction in Milan, one of the tins sold for a new record of €275,000, including auction fees.[6] The tins were originally to be valued according to their equivalent weight in gold.

Don't be facetious, NiC.

You know full well it's worthless and without any merit.

Now if Richard Prince were to take a photo of it, blow it up in ultra-high resolution to 127x178 - then you'd be talking. Make a cheeky bid of $1.1m early doors.

In the meantime stop making flippant comments about Mr. Walks' daubings, you know full well the thirty odd quid he charged for prints was daylight robbery.

Prince will capture all this in his re-imaging, it will be a triumph.

11 hours ago, SatanGreavsie said:

Artist's Shit - Wikipedia

Artist's Shit (Italian: Merda d'artista) is a 1961 artwork by the Italian artist Piero Manzoni. The work consists of 90 tin cans, each reportedly filled with 30 grams (1.1 oz) of faeces, and measuring 4.8 by 6.5 centimetres (1.9 in × 2.6 in), with a label in Italian, English, French, and German .
A tin was sold for €124,000 at Sotheby's on May 23, 2007;[5] in October 2008 tin 83 was offered for sale at Sotheby's with an estimate of £50,000–70,000. It sold for £97,250. On October 16, 2015, tin 54 was sold at Christies for £182,500. In August 2016, at an art auction in Milan, one of the tins sold for a new record of €275,000, including auction fees.[6] The tins were originally to be valued according to their equivalent weight in gold.

I was having a quiet pint or three of Vernaccia di San Gimignano in the Caffetteria Bartolino when I got talking to some old soak, inevitably the conversation came around to Manzoni and his work...

The old boy revealed himself to be an acquaintance of the artist during the late 50's and early 60's - Rinaldo (the bloke) said he had a confectioners shop over the road from Piero's solaio/luogo di creazione. He went on to tell how one time Manzoni came into the shop to ask him if, for around one or two thousand lira, he could provide a dozen piping bags of ganache. The deal was struck and the filling was bought and the artisan thought nowt more of it.

Until Piero gained notoriety with the mentioned work.

Rinaldo recalled how, a few days before the bizarre chocolate filling purchase, the artist had called in for his usual sausage roll, bee-sting and small toastie loaf but on this occasion he seemed unusually agitated - muttering about "poor aim" and "they won't bloody seal!"

Rinaldo reckoned his ganache ended up in the cans, he also said a builder mate told him that Manzoni scrounged a bucket of leftover lime plaster from him just after he'd finished a job on the neighbouring garret - he surmised maybe the 'shit' in some of the other cans comprised of this..?

He said he always had doubts regarding the veracity of the tins actually containing shit because he knew Piero had a very fibre-poor diet, he would continually and publically broadcast to anyone he had the ear of about being eggbound, he also would often be seen lacing his tots of Fernet Branca with sciroppo di fichi.

Some rich twat should buy a few tins and open them - solve this conundrum once and for all.

Edited by Youri McAnespie

3 hours ago, Youri McAnespie said:

Don't be facetious, NiC.

You know full well it's worthless and without any merit.

Now if Richard Prince were to take a photo of it, blow it up in ultra-high resolution to 127x178 - then you'd be talking. Make a cheeky bid of $1.1m early doors.

In the meantime stop making flippant comments about Mr. Walks' daubings, you know full well the thirty odd quid he charged for prints was daylight robbery.

Prince will capture all this in his re-imaging, it will be a triumph.

30 quid? Still makes me chuckle that some people actually bought them.

26 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

30 quid? Still makes me chuckle that some people actually bought them.

The take-up of the dubious offer was quite big. I wonder if there was a roll-call of buyers who'd 'fess up? I'm sure the cheeky sod charged £4.95 p+p as well - then hand-delivered a lot of them.

I remember lots expressing their delight with their purchase on receipt. One statement that stuck was Traf's opinion that the original "must be worth a fortune", someone else replied that the club should buy it (the original).

I think me and thee, possibly Nb and one other poster (who wrote "I can't draw a stickman, but...") were dissenting voices at the the time.

Most have disavowed it at various points in the intervening years, but I do wonder if there's still the odd copy hanging in pride of place on some chimney breast somewhere?

Edit: It was you who made the 'stickman' comment.

I'm sure someone else also called it out as shite at the time tho'.

One of the original threads...

Apologies to the artist, the actual cost was a mere £25 all in - bargain.

http://www.wanderersways.com/forum/topic/78661-a-bolton-wanderers-dream-finished-painting/

I'm going to keep my eyes peeled for one coming up for sale.

It'd be the perfect centrepiece of a triptych I intend to create, with side panels of 'Dogs playing poker' and either 'Crying Boy' or 'Sultry Seventies Senorita'...

12 minutes ago, Youri McAnespie said:

One of the original threads...

Apologies to the artist, the actual cost was a mere £25 all in - bargain.

http://www.wanderersways.com/forum/topic/78661-a-bolton-wanderers-dream-finished-painting/

I'm going to keep my eyes peeled for one coming up for sale.

It'd be the perfect centrepiece of a triptych I intend to create, with side panels of 'Dogs playing poker' and either 'Crying Boy' or 'Sultry Seventies Senorita'...

Its a classic. I thought I was being pretty nice and not trying to offend the guy who did them.

Come on @embankment have you still got yours up in its gold frame? Has anewman still got my post framed next to his? Which downstairs toilet does this work is adorn the walls?

So kids, moral of this story is that an art sales rush of questionable worth can even happen on a football forum, so let the first to be without sin cast the first stone and all that.

And also, why i'll not get dragged into a discussion on what constitutes art on here!

9 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

Its a classic. I thought I was being pretty nice and not trying to offend the guy who did them.

Come on @embankment have you still got yours up in its gold frame? Has anewman still got my post framed next to his? Which downstairs toilet does this work is adorn the walls?

So kids, moral of this story is that an art sales rush of questionable worth can even happen on a football forum, so let the first to be without sin cast the first stone and all that.

And also, why i'll not get dragged into a discussion on what constitutes art on here!

Mines still in its wrapping behind a cupboard

• Site Supporter

I asked him to do a Lemon Party and he totally blanked me so there was fuck all chance of me buying a picture of BWFC players dressed like Bugsy Malone’s stag do.

Even now, 8 years later, it’s a bizarre episode.

3 minutes ago, Spider said:

I asked him to do a Lemon Party and he totally blanked me so there was fuck all chance of me buying a picture of BWFC players dressed like Bugsy Malone’s stag do.

Even now, 8 years later, it’s a bizarre episode.

Advocacy marketing in action, you can see from the thread how it spirlals until no one is really looking at the product anymore. Just the desire to purchase on as a group you are part of all ahead in one direction.

Its what happens with the 'must have' kidd's toy at Christmas and why 12 months later its at the bottom of the toy box.

6 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

Advocacy marketing in action, you can see from the thread how it spirlals until no one is really looking at the product anymore. Just the desire to purchase on as a group you are part of all ahead in one direction.

Its what happens with the 'must have' kidd's toy at Christmas and why 12 months later its at the bottom of the toy box.

Well I'll knock up some hand crafted prints of "Moaning Lisa" then. If you put it about that's it's the next big thing I'll cut you in for 10% (minus postage)

19 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

That's why, as kids, there'd be about forty boys on any given playground in the exact same; adidas kick, nike bongo, reebok rapide, kappa ski coats (blue w/. Silver upper arm/shoulders), Lendl tank top, nike air, american football shirts with green/white pinstripe shirt over it, Joe Bloggs T-shirt, Russell Athletic sweatshirt etc. etc.

🙄

• Site Supporter

Just been looking through YouTube for a show on ITV (I think it was Game for a Laugh). It showed them giving either kids or chimpanzees a canvas and art materials. They displayed the resulting “art work” in a posh London gallery with hidden cameras and microphones and filmed the art critics while the extolled the magnificence and wisdom of the artist. Caused a bit of a stir in the papers because it highlighted these experts as serial fraudsters.

• Site Supporter
15 minutes ago, MickyD said:

Just been looking through YouTube for a show on ITV (I think it was Game for a Laugh). It showed them giving either kids or chimpanzees a canvas and art materials. They displayed the resulting “art work” in a posh London gallery with hidden cameras and microphones and filmed the art critics while the extolled the magnificence and wisdom of the artist. Caused a bit of a stir in the papers because it highlighted these experts as serial fraudsters.

It wouldn't surprise me but I know shite about art.

Been to Florence and it is a fantastic place, even though my mum had her handbag robbed. I would go back again as I appreciate the beauty of it all even if I don't understand it's meaning.

2 hours ago, Duck Egg said:

Art = Something I like that I wouldn't be capable of knocking up myself.

Not art = Something I don't understand and that I could probably do myself with a couple of hours and a handful of paints, crayons, clay etc

Missing the point a bit.

Art is not just about technical application.

Anyway, if anyone is interested in a really accessible in  to galleries and museums. The organisation I work for produces a podcast called Meet Me At The Museum. This is a nice one to kick off with, its hosted by Russell Kane who has just moved to Manchester and its about the Whitworth - great place on everyone's doorstep. Not pretentious in the slightest. If you don't like Russell Kane - there's loads more with different presenters, but I thought the history of the gallery in the north west might tickle someone's fancy.

Edited by Not in Crawley