Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Dryers

athywhite1958

Anybody ever had a problem with their tumble drier? Mine is in the garage and yesterday the missus put some clothes in to dry, switched it on and came into the house, I went into the garage about 15 minutes later and the dryer was on fire, luckily no damage to the garage or contents, a couple of pullovers were burned a bit but the dryer is obviously fucked, glad it wasn't in the house and we'd gone out

Edited by athywhite1958
spelling

• Members

Hotpoint one they recalled it because it was dodgy was setting people’s gaffs on fire sent me a indesit one out to replace it 

Thermostat can go on them and carry on working which is dangerous. 

This indesit one tells you when it’s two hot and when the thermostat goes it needs replacing and won’t work until it changed, £2 and a ten minute job. 

• Site Supporter
8 minutes ago, athywhite1958 said:

it was a  Beko, one good thing is I've took the drum out and can use it as a fire pit in the garden

Did that a few years back. Used some threaded bar in the screw sites on the outside of the drum as legs.

Made the mistake of spraying it with stove paint which would burn black for a couple of minutes each use at the start. 

It lasted very well considering it was left outside, but eventually corroded through the base. Keep it dry if you can.

5 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Did that a few years back. Used some threaded bar in the screw sites on the outside of the drum as legs.

Made the mistake of spraying it with stove paint which would burn black for a couple of minutes each use at the start. 

It lasted very well considering it was left outside, but eventually corroded through the base. Keep it dry if you can.

Or buy a firepit, like a normal person.

• Site Supporter

A common issue is the way folk use their tumble dryer. Wife used to just turn it on 120 minutes and checked every 10-15 minutes. Once the clothing was dry, switch off.

Eventually the thermostat bit fucked up and needed replacing. The guy who came to fix it asked how it was being used and I told him as above. It seems that for the last 20 minutes of the drying cycle the machine goes into cool-down mode which just wasn’t happening the way wifey was using it.

14 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

Oh I'm sure there are tons that look fine. 

All to be commended for environmental reasons.

Only dilemma is whether it’s worth the hassle.

My stepdad took my broken washing machine to get the drum out. By the time he’d got the washer home and spent hours dismantling it to get to it, and then had to take it to the tip after, I think he wished he hadn’t bothered.

• Site Supporter

Sure there was a big thing on dryer fires a few years back, brought to the fore because Terry Wogans caught on fire during the night so he kept on about it on his show. 
id never encountered it before but never left it on after that story. 

I've heard of washing machine braziers.

I don't think a tumbler one would cut the mustard, sure they're coated with some fucked up surface agents.

Me and a mate made a washing drum brazier  for what we grandly call 'our land' - zinc bucket of concrete and some threaded bar, screwed it straight on.

It's shite for keeping warm - no heat diffuses from the sides.

However get some seasoned cherry blossom logs in, let 'em burn down and get some marinated chicken and/or lamb chunks on steel skewers over the top - freshly picked salad, onions, toms, coriander, chillies, cucumber - homemade cheddar cheese, green olive and jalapeno parathas done on another fire (in pan) - topped with a combo of any; mint, garlic, Encona hot or tamarind sauces. Magnifique 👌

Washed down with ice cold Źywiec lager.

Roll on summer.