Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Half Way Thru Season ~ Predictions

Ruba Mustafa

I always new this would be a tough season, especially with a new manager and still under the transfer embargo for last summer. I was hoping we could be top 5 by now, but the inconsistency is a stark reminder of how hard it is to build a promotion team with cast offs. I'm still hoping we can make it top 3, all the teams here are inconsistent, bloody Carlisle are top, so I remain optimistic, but if we stay down here one more season, i wouldn't be surprised, still nearly 4 months to go so you never know

1 hour ago, jules_darby said:

10th-12th unless there are a couple of really inspired signings 

10th-12th IF there are couple of really inspired signings.  And as long as we stick with 4-4-2, and Gilks doesn't get injured.  Or Doyle.  Or Tutte or Lee.  I've no idea.  Somewhere between 10th and 20th.

• Site Supporter

We're halfway through the season. 

We had a shit start, a good spell then an up and down run. Now, I've never been superstitious (touch wood), but we're not getting tonked. We're picking up points even when we go behind. We're generally playing up to the final minute.

With a decent run of no injuries, and the new lads bedding in and if we can get a keeper in, and Doyle getting the service up front I can see us vying for the play off places. 

If one or more of the above fails I reserve the right to to say I didn't mean it.

Steady improvement culminating in a thrilling last few games where we end up making up ground on the teams above us but narrowly miss out on the play offs on goal difference. Foundations laid for a good summer of strengthening in the transfer market and a proper crack at it next season.

15 hours ago, marple whites said:

Bottom half, we build for next season.

Bottom half isn't really a prediction, there's a big difference between 13th and 24th!  There'll be a lot of positivity about if we can get enough wins to get us to 13th, if we finish 21st its a completely different atmosphere.

7 hours ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Bottom half isn't really a prediction, there's a big difference between 13th and 24th!  There'll be a lot of positivity about if we can get enough wins to get us to 13th, if we finish 21st its a completely different atmosphere.

It was a drunken answer last night.

i will go top of the bottom half hopefully taking something into next season.

On 20/01/2021 at 14:58, Traf said:

I think we'd have been better off with fans on the ground.
The players given too many chances earlier in the season wouldn't have got away with it for so long and the system/personnel would have been changed sooner.

Agreed, a big ground with no fans is no advantage.

It's like training ground sessions, the jeopardy is missing in the dug out.

If it’s not in the top 7 then it’s largely irrelevant and since we’re now 9 points behind the play offs and likely to be more after tonight, there’s virtually no chance of us pulling that back with the bunch of plebs we’ve assembled. Personally I’d prefer Evatt to work with what we’ve got and leave signings until the summer now when the embargo’s are off and we should be a much better proposition. If we’d been further up then a couple of signings now would have been good but we’re not so it’s pointless when we can get better by waiting.

• Moderators
13 hours ago, Rizlar said:

Sarcevic out for 4 weeks with groin injury 

he tends to be the one who pulls us out the shit when we go behind away

be interesting to see what happens now, when we go behind away

• 11 months later...

Well we are 12 months on and it’s now time for your predictions again!

i wasn’t far wrong last year, I said we would finish top, let’s face it we should have!!!

i thort I’d bring this thread back as it makes good reading, sort the wheat from the chaff kind of thing.

Our style of play to this point last season gave me hope that if IE recruited well in January then we would come good, he did and we did.

However this time round I’m not so confident, so I’ll go for a steady 9th place finish.

Dont get me wrong I’m still positive that IE will get us up to the championship, it’s just gonna take a bit more time, maybe a bit longer than some of yous will allow.

so take a chill pill, work it out, n give me ur predictions? A bit of reasoning would be appreciated.

Mid table will do for me. Signings like Charles means we will kick off stronger next August than we did this season.

Still need a Keeper a centre half that is a leader/bastard to take the armband from Santos and for me a left back. A quality no 10 and another Bastard to fit beside MJ and we will be there or thereabouts next season

Anyone not contracted for next season........Get shut