Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

World record goal.

Tonge moor green jacket

• Site Supporter

The goal that the Newport keeper scored against Cheltenham has been confirmed as the longest ever in competitive football by Guiness World record folk. 96.01m.

I'm not saying McDonagh's was further, but how do they know?

Or have they created a new record as of a couple of seasons ago when better technology became available?

15 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

The goal that the Newport keeper scored against Cheltenham has been confirmed as the longest ever in competitive football by Guiness World record folk. 96.01m.

I'm not saying McDonagh's was further, but how do they know?

Or have they created a new record as of a couple of seasons ago when better technology became available?

TBF, most goals scored by 'keepers are where they've kicked them from out of their hands, so usually from as close to the edge of the area as possible.

That Newport 'keeper scored from a dead ball / goal kick, so edge of his 6 yard box.  Don't think I've ever seen that happen before I saw that the other night.

Not that any of my ramblings prove or disprove it to be a record, like. :D

Edited by DazBob

3 minutes ago, Mannyroader said:

I thought a goal could not be scored direct from a goal kick. Has there been a rule change?

Wasn't aware of that.  You can score direct from a corner so makes sense you can from a goal kick.

Edit: You can't score an own goal from a goal kick - if you do then it's just a corner to the opposition.

Edited by DazBob

• Site Supporter

Suppose pitch size would come into it too.

A drop kick on a big un might be further than one off the deck, further back, but on a small one.

For those that didn't see JMs effort against Burnley at Burnden, it was similar in flight, bounce then loop over the keeper to this lad's effort.

1 hour ago, DazBob said:

Wasn't aware of that.  You can score direct from a corner so makes sense you can from a goal kick.

Edit: You can't score an own goal from a goal kick - if you do then it's just a corner to the opposition.

TBH neither was I and I was convinced that it’s been a law change. Turns out it was, 1997 which I think coincided with a desire to make the game favour attack with the rationale about the game being about goals and that’s what fans want to see. 

So this supports what you put above re distance as a kick from hands will most likely be further up the pitch rather than limited to the 6 yard goal area.