Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Evatt in or out

14 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

If you look back to phil Neal’s time he got some serious stick at the time but what a top job he did, if evatt can get us out of league 2 and put some foundations in then it’s job done. 

Phil Neal, talk about being damned by faint praise. Then again even he realised the value of playing a system the players understood.

2 minutes ago, Traf said:

NOT Wheater, but we do need a big fuck off commanding centre half, we also need some steel in midfield.

Without either, Evatt is destined to fail.

In my opinion we need a centre forward who can hold it up and add physicality before either of those, wouldn’t say no to a Karl Henry type either. We’re just soft. 

2 minutes ago, Traf said:

NOT Wheater, but we do need a big fuck off commanding centre half, we also need some steel in midfield.

Without either, Evatt is destined to fail.

These positions should’ve been priority from the off instead of wanting to go Barcelona 

7 minutes ago, bolton va va said:

In.  It's frustrating but there was always a good chance that building a team from scratch, with no money, would take time.

He's not doing a great job of building a team though is he?

Seems he's not the kind of manager players want to run through brick walls for.

We're a team of pussys, an easy touch for most sides with a bit of graft.

8 wins from 29 competitive matches = 27.6% win ratio.

Chairman now needs to set Evatt a points target for the next month to demonstrate he can set up a team to win football matches.

Then a decision has to be made.

Fair leadership has to come from above as well as from the manager, without this we'll be looking over our shoulders come Easter

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, Mounts Kipper said:

If you look back to phil Neal’s time he got some serious stick at the time but what a top job he did, if evatt can get us out of league 2 and put some foundations in then it’s job done. 

I agree. Too late to stop the drop, but used his knowledge and experience of the leagues to get in some players who could do the job. We weren't exactly rolling in cash then either.

Pragmatism too- remember him grabbing Tony cuningham at the end of the next season to secure a play off spot.

There's a load of comments along the lines of "nothing's happening this season, just let it carry on, and we'll assess again in summer".  Talk about heads, sand and burying.  The form table for the last 10 games has us 2nd bottom on 9 points, only Grimsby below us.  Stevenage 4 ahead and Southend 6 ahead.  And our 1st game in that sequence was a win.  So the last 9 games form table is even worse.  For those thinking stopping up is a formality, you're either saying we'll improve - fine if you believe that, but based on what - or you think Southend and Stevenage's form will get worse from now to the end of the season.  And we have to play them both.  Yes that might happen but it feels like we're basing the "in" vote on other teams getting worse.  Until our next win we are in a relegation battle.

3 hours ago, kent_white said:

I think I can only think of one or two games where we've been the poorer of the two sides. We're losing games by fine margins and in most of those games we have a period of time (sadly only 20 mins or so) where we look like we're battering them.

I still think there's something there with Evatt. But it needs to be a lot more consistent and for 90 minutes. 

Still don't feel like it's 'his team' particularly.

Mind you I remember arguing similar points in favour of keeping Dougie Freedman! So what do I know? 😁

You've come up with balanced comments there, not wanting to disagree but my opinion is we've been 2nd best in every game we've lost at home.  Draws were fair results v Mansfield and Grimsby and yes we were the better side in at least 2 of 3 home wins (debatable v Bradford).  No we aren't getting murdered normally, they are usually fine margins, but 2nd best nonetheless to more organised, coherent teams.

And other managers haven't got "their team" eg Clough, Hill, you've got to show how good you are with the hands you're dealt surely, could we reasonably expect a competent manager to get more out of this squad?

Very worrying that there is no glimpse of improvement.

played well in 3 matches all Season?

It’s not like we are losing because strikers are bombing chances or goalkeepers lobbing ball into the net.

Talks a good game.

Finds excuse after excuse after Excuse.

if fans were in he’d have been potted weeks ago as the atmosphere would have been unbearable 

1 minute ago, Eavesy said:

Very worrying that there is no glimpse of improvement.

played well in 3 matches all Season?

It’s not like we are losing because strikers are bombing chances or goalkeepers lobbing ball into the net.

Talks a good game.

Finds excuse after excuse after Excuse.

if fans were in he’d have been potted weeks ago as the atmosphere would have been unbearable 

Doyle missed 2-3 big chances last week and if Gnohua had scored that easy chance at 2–1 and with 11 on the pitch we might easily have won today, we are still only 9 points away from play offs and have 2 new players lined up who might tip the scales. It’s hard but let’s keep the faith. 

40 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

You've come up with balanced comments there, not wanting to disagree but my opinion is we've been 2nd best in every game we've lost at home.  Draws were fair results v Mansfield and Grimsby and yes we were the better side in at least 2 of 3 home wins (debatable v Bradford).  No we aren't getting murdered normally, they are usually fine margins, but 2nd best nonetheless to more organised, coherent teams.

And other managers haven't got "their team" eg Clough, Hill, you've got to show how good you are with the hands you're dealt surely, could we reasonably expect a competent manager to get more out of this squad?

I think Tranmere and Mansfield have pretty much got their same squads as last year haven't they?

That's what I'm getting at. We've built squads from scratch for the past 3 seasons.