Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Evatt in or out

4 hours ago, JimmyRiddle said:

But that doesn't fit with the narrative of the club at the start of the season, promotion was the aim, no it's or buts. According to IE we had the squad to do so. 

And to be honest, whatever is going on in the background I want the manager to be able to coach the team on a Saturday to put in a coherent performance week on week, with a strategy to win matches, and we are no nearer that than we were in August.

Everyweek his decision making can be called into question on something fundamental. So I am yet to here from anyone on what he is 'doing' , or shown, that makes you think he will get it right eventually?

Other teams have turned it around with a new manager, why not us?

Nail on head.  That's where I've been since day one when he started with wingbacks who aren't wingbacks, and as you say decisions every single week since have been questionable.  Its easy to say give a manager time, but its also a bit of a cop out if its not backed up with reasons, other than "its not his team". 

4 minutes ago, BOWTUN BAKED said:

Dear oh dear!

24 games & you expect instant success?

You'll be equally unimpressed if there is another manager in the short term

Not instant success pal just improvement 

• The title was changed to Evatt in or out
2 hours ago, Benny The Ball said:

I think there is a slightly bigger issue here and the naming of a successor is just a minor diversion given whats at stake

If matters dont improve soon we face the prospect of being caught up in a relegation dog fight - FACT

And some of us doubt the players have the resilience to cope with the pressure and Evatt the ability to  turn the situation around

Therefore the relevant question is at what point do FV who would never in their most pessimistic of plans and projections had relegation as even a discussion point let alone a possibility, at what point do they press the nuclear button and look to save not only the clubs League status but potentially from a financial point of view the very  club they have bought into ?

If you and anyone else are saying blind loyalty to Evatt overrides the prospect of playing in the National League then I think you are seriously misguided

Personally I think he has about 5 winless games before the nuclear option is on the table and becomes a serious possibility 

Spot on Benny I am getting really concerned we are dropping into a relegation scrap with toothless spineless players a captain who as no idea on being a leader and I think peoples attitudes will change if he doesnt turn it around in the next 5 games.

I am not for sacking him but he needs help from an experience coach because he really does come across as an arrogant man.

Oh and Crawford I do not want to see ever again in a Bolton shirt hes hopeless cannot believe how bad he as become since his injury.

1 minute ago, Rizlar said:

Spot on Benny I am getting really concerned we are dropping into a relegation scrap with toothless spineless players a captain who as no idea on being a leader and I think peoples attitudes will change if he doesnt turn it around in the next 5 games.

I am not for sacking him but he needs help from an experience coach because he really does come across as an arrogant man.

Oh and Crawford I do not want to see ever again in a Bolton shirt hes hopeless cannot believe how bad he as become since his injury.

I'm not for sacking him either-  certainly not at this stage - but results may over the next few weeks dictate otherwise , in fact yesterday we were chatting about how the team that finishes 7th and scrapes into the play offs on the last day often has the momentum to clinch promotion - and maybe Evatt has a plan .Such are the fine margins between being successful and failure at this level, and its still achievable if he can get all his ducks in a row. 

Would really like to see a David Wheater / similar older head brought in to try and lead and motivate on the pitch - its crying out for someone to get a grip. 

• Site Supporter
2 hours ago, Horwich said:

Its because you cant come up with a better alternative, then hide behind the “I don’t know who is available etc excuse” 🙄

OK then, Klopp. Stupid isn't it?

I'm not for getting rid, but that's a piss poor effort at defending the "keep him" thinking.

If, like me, you have the feeling that he has something about him suggests he will come good then fine. We have little else to hang our hopes on at the moment though.

The owners are the ones who know the situation more fully, and they will know the risk to finances of relegation, remaining and promotion. The would also not know who might be available if they were to get rid until they actually did.

They will also know what the situation in the dressing room is- does he have the players onside etc.

Without knowing categorically, I would suggest that they won't give him a guarantee that he will be here next season come what may, as I reckon the drop would be inconceivable for them.

On that basis, if results continue to be poor, you would imagine they wouldn't want to leave it too late and run the risk.

However, I dont envisage any change for some time, come what may, so hopefully he can get some passion into the play and change the direction of the team.

1 hour ago, Johnnyrotten said:

I'm currently relying on Grimsby staying bottom, and 1 of Stevenage and Southend failing to get many points, and us not losing to either of the 3.  Barrow and Bradford can get as many points as they like this week.  Its a shame I'm just relying on others for our next 2 games, any points we get are a bonus.

Lets hope we are not relying on others in a few months time

To put the bottom of the table situation in context was interested to note that over at Mansfield , Nigel Clough set them a 50 point target for safety a couple of weeks ago - dont think that figure is unrealistic

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, ZiggyStardust said:

Was it right to get rid of Sammy Lee when they did ?

Yes.

But come on, there’s no comparison whatsoever. Sammy Lee was taking the over a club that was well set, established, had great foundations, great/good players.

IE had nothing, it was re-set, start again completely.

I’ve not heard a good argument why he shouldn’t be allowed to get the right side player he wants,(get Kioso back)  the left side lad fit, Kieron Lee a run of games, the hold up striker and keeper we know we need and which he is after. 

Yes he’s made mistakes, yes it’s not right yet, but it’s Far too early to fire him off at this point, crazy.

2 hours ago, Horwich said:

You can’t just sack a manager after a bad run, especially if you dont have the balls to give any alternative.

Should OGS have been sacked?

no

Should Arteta have been sacked?

yes

Should Lampard have been sacked?

always

Should Parker have been sacked? 

no

3 hours ago, JimmyRiddle said:

As RW says, that's not for us.

When you leave a relationship you don't know what's coming next, you pull the plug because it isn't working for whatever reason.

And as for the inexperience defence, did FV really say let's get a someone in with no experience so we can be 17th going in to Feb??, a point above a club in their first year in league football. Did they fuck.

And tbh, this debate has shown one thing, IE has divided the fans which is never gonna end well.

But again, no one has given any defence of 'why' he should be given time, only the hope it may come good.

No one had defended his tactics, man management or player acquisition. The guy needs gone ASAP. 

He hasn’t though has he. There’s a current debate because our results have been poor. I’d say a very small minority would say they’re perfectly happy with things, the vast majority that are concerned but happy enough to give him time and then another small minority (you) that is absolutely adamant that he has to go now.

There’s always going to be different opinions but to say he’s divided the fan base, like Megson/Coyle genuinely did, is well over exaggerated IMO.

14 minutes ago, Eddie said:

There’s always going to be different opinions but to say he’s divided the fan base, like Megson/Coyle genuinely did, is well over exaggerated IMO.

Maybe you're right, but it's getting there, let's see once the crowds are back in?

But what isn't in doubt he has expunged all the excitement and optimism we all so craved at the start of the season, and which he falsely fanned the flames of.

Edited by JimmyRiddle

6 hours ago, radcliffewhite1 said:

I don’t think we will

but until others have played the same amount of games and we’ve made some distance you can’t dismiss it

Agreed, I don't think we will go down, I expect us to get enough points.  But at this moment in time we know that if we lose the next 3 we are getting twitchy.  And that would be bad enough to be going on with.  Going into the last 3 games with a 2 or 3 point cushion wouldn't be acceptable, if we stopped up people could say "told you we wouldn't go down, give him time" but just putting us through a couple of weeks of sweating it out would be enough of a failure surely?  Or is this season completely irrelevant and IE only gets judged from August?  

5 hours ago, radcliffewhite1 said:

I’ve just answered that

who I want is irrelevant that’s not my job

Just for the record I don’t want him sacked tomorrow but if there’s no serious improvement in the next 2 months then why should he see his last year out

also FV know loans won’t get repaid with very little consumer faith 

Word for word what I would say.  There is also the issue that we dont know who would want the job, which you should only find out by advertising it.  Eg the managers at Accrington, Crewe, or any of the top 9 in this division (barring Salford) who all seem to know what they're doing on a low budget (but not for me to say, I don't have a clue who they are).

One huge issue for me is, in the unlikely event of him being sacked mid season, we've got 2 games a week with no manager. The process can take weeks (if done properly and above board).  Who is still at the club that would be "caretaker"?  Do we still have Darby/Lee etc to call on or is it a one man show now? (plus Atherton who we never hear from).  Even if FV were thinking of a change, in the short term we cant afford to be rudderless for half a dozen games.

1 hour ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Agreed, I don't think we will go down, I expect us to get enough points.  But at this moment in time we know that if we lose the next 3 we are getting twitchy.  And that would be bad enough to be going on with.  Going into the last 3 games with a 2 or 3 point cushion wouldn't be acceptable, if we stopped up people could say "told you we wouldn't go down, give him time" but just putting us through a couple of weeks of sweating it out would be enough of a failure surely?  Or is this season completely irrelevant and IE only gets judged from August?  

Don’t think we will go down? Struth