Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Mansfield

Blondi

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, Johnnyrotten said:

I wouldn't be surprised if its next Tuesday as no game for either of us, no obvious reason to delay assuming weather improves.

I’m pissed off - always am when a game gets cancelled.

This would make it better for the dry Januaryers as I could watch it under the influence next Tuesday. 

1 hour ago, frank_spencer said:

Even Burnden had undersoil heating. 

Fucking tinpot indeed

Burnden hosted Premiership football! Mansfield have spent one season in the top two divisions in their  history!  Cant see many in this league having undersoil heating.

Even Burnden had undersoil heating. 

Fucking tinpot indeed

Does anyone know why we were so far ahead with installing undersoil heating (virtually the only team to have it in the late 70s and 80s)?

I wondered if it was to do with the pitch being raised up with the cycle track below pitch level, that maybe made it more practical to install.  No idea though, its not like we had money to burn.  

47 minutes ago, woolli said:

Burnden hosted Premiership football! Mansfield have spent one season in the top two divisions in their  history!  Cant see many in this league having undersoil heating.

It was over 30yrs ago Burnden had undersoil heating it's not as if burnden was a technological marvel.

You'd think when they redeveloped the ground they'd have put heating in then

It’s a total disgrace in this day and age, that a professional club like Mansfield can’t even prevent a little bit of frost when even National league clubs took precautions to do so and got their games on. The weather forecasts have been there for everybody to see so there can be no excuse for this. On that basis, surely Mansfield should suffer at least a fine.

33 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Does anyone know why we were so far ahead with installing undersoil heating (virtually the only team to have it in the late 70s and 80s)?

I wondered if it was to do with the pitch being raised up with the cycle track below pitch level, that maybe made it more practical to install.  No idea though, its not like we had money to burn.  

Seem to remember my dad telling me that late 70s/early 80s we were one of very few clubs in the black. We’d had relatively high attendances for the three seasons up at the top of Div 2 and made decent money in Div 1 and the board realised that investing money in the heating meant we didn’t lose money on reduced crowds for midweek rearranged fixtures. No idea if he was right or not but that’s what he said/thought

34 minutes ago, MancWanderer said:

Seem to remember my dad telling me that late 70s/early 80s we were one of very few clubs in the black. We’d had relatively high attendances for the three seasons up at the top of Div 2 and made decent money in Div 1 and the board realised that investing money in the heating meant we didn’t lose money on reduced crowds for midweek rearranged fixtures. No idea if he was right or not but that’s what he said/thought

Weren’t there a few Wigan & Swinton games played at Burnden as well because Central Park/Station Road were frozen, so that probably made a few quid? 

It was over 30yrs ago Burnden had undersoil heating it's not as if burnden was a technological marvel.

You'd think when they redeveloped the ground they'd have put heating in then

I would presume costs dictate that?

• Site Supporter
6 minutes ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

"Goalless" would be my advice.

She's never going to believe that. I'd go for "We lost 2-1, love. We only started playing after they scored their second." Far more believable.

• Site Supporter
3 hours ago, JimmyRiddle said:

Drove down M1 today, never got below 3 degrees and pissing down, only real snow was near Northampton, no way it can be frozen!

Footpaths and tracks round here all still frozen this afternoon. With some rain on top. Slippery as hell.

Edited by Tonge moor green jacket

6 hours ago, woolli said:

Was that one season our promotion season 77/78 sure we played against them then and Frankie scored but might have been in FA Cup thinking about it?

1 minute ago, Max Cherry said:

Was that one season our promotion season 77/78 sure we played against them then and Frankie scored but might have been in FA Cup thinking about it?

Yes it was ... Their keeper, rod Arnold ,  made a worldie in front of a packed embankment ... One of best saves I've seen even the ref clapped it . 

We won at field mill at Easter ,packed out with wanderers fans.

It snowed Saturday , Sunday here and temp has been sub zero sat, sun, Monday . It has been pouring down all afternoon , so rain on ice turf . Their pitch has looked dodgy on TV highlights .  A postponed game is no surprise