Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Mansfield

Blondi

1 hour ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Be fucked for Saturday then! :(

All these waterlogged pitches remind me of the ones we played on at university. Could have used them for growing rice.

Some of the best I've ever played on were Uni pitches. I was at Leeds & it was like a bowling green.

Worst ever was my schooldays in a park in Burnley when our school played St. Theodore's there. They had a 'deep end'.

1 minute ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

Some of the best I've ever played on were Uni pitches. I was at Leeds & it was like a bowling green.

Worst ever was my schooldays in a park in Burnley when our school played St. Theodore's there. They had a 'deep end'.

Townley Park? Aye, they were soggy, but Newhouse Farm was basically marshland.

• Site Supporter
51 minutes ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

Best ones kept for uni team matches.

Played for one of the college teams in the league between all the different ones. Just had the shit ones at the bottom of the hill.

4 hours ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

He managed them gor 6 years, 83-89. Took Neil Whatmore there iirc. But, yes, surprised he got a stand named after him.

Greaves and Whatmore came to Burden and knocked us out of the Associate Members Cup when we where on a real low and dreaming of Wembley if I remember correctly, think it was the Northern semi-final but I could be wrong. About 3000 on and a mini riot outside after the final whistle I seem to recall. Probably the year they won it.

23 minutes ago, tkonion said:

Greaves and Whatmore came to Burden and knocked us out of the Associate Members Cup when we where on a real low and dreaming of Wembley if I remember correctly, think it was the Northern semi-final but I could be wrong. About 3000 on and a mini riot outside after the final whistle I seem to recall. Probably the year they won it.

Rings a bell. Did Mansfield have a Caldwell (Dave?) playing for them? 

Edit:

1984–85 Associate Members' Cup - Wikipedia

May 8th 1985 - Lost 1-2 at Burnden. 

Edited by jeep

1 minute ago, jeep said:

Rings a bell. Did Mansfield have a Caldwell (Dave?) playing for them? 

Possibly but my memory isn't really that good. I remember the match as my mate was going on all week about how.he was going to run on the pitch and shake Whatmores hand after we'd knocked them out, didn't work out like that so he just called him a cunt from a safe distance instead 😁

53 minutes ago, tkonion said:

Yes the northern semi final, at the time a big game with a big atmosphere, attendance 6700 which was much more than most league games (Mansfield brought plenty).  We were gutted at losing that, convinced we were going to Wembley, in the days that was a huge novelty for lower division teams.  To add insult to injury Wigan got there and won it.  We got there a year later.  

15 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Yes the northern semi final, at the time a big game with a big atmosphere, attendance 6700 which was much more than most league games (Mansfield brought plenty).  We were gutted at losing that, convinced we were going to Wembley, in the days that was a huge novelty for lower division teams.  To add insult to injury Wigan got there and won it.  We got there a year later.  

3-0 defeat to Bristol City and they deserved the result.

• The topic was unpinned
  • 2 weeks later...