Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Mansfield

Blondi

• Site Supporter
6 hours ago, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

Exactly how good was Lee?

(I'm genuinely asking - I didn't watch us but have seen his name mentioned positively quite a lot)

I suppose without taking the game by the scruff of the neck, he wins his fair share of tackles, is always available and rarely wastes a pass. Made a couple  of decent raids in the first half too.

you can tell with his awareness he’s played at a higher level

• Members
44 minutes ago, green genie said:

Good win potentially breeding confidence. Interesting that very similar positions being form team a couple of wins outside play offs.

We have to play top two next week which suspect will stop our run.

Southend & Scunthorpe next pal

• Site Supporter
7 minutes ago, bwfc2003 said:

Although generally thought Williams had a good game - he was at fault for there 2 goals

Which Mansfield players were "at fault" for our 3 goals then?

I'll never understand why when we concede a goal, some peoples' first thought is "Which Bolton player can we blame that on?". It's mental.

Edited by Cheese

29 minutes ago, bwfc2003 said:

Although generally thought Williams had a good game - he was at fault for there 2 goals

The first goal he is wrong footed on the half way line, where is the rest of the team ? the second he is isolated as there 3 players play around him. 
As well as being involved in 2 goals he plays a first time ball to the west spammer when he hits post. 

As stated he is not a world beater but he more than good enough for this level. 

Edited by Ani

• Site Supporter
36 minutes ago, bwfc2003 said:

Bit harsh, no mention of Gilks having a Crellin moment?

Of course he will look at it and think he should have done better, but looking at those pictures I reckon the players are continually aware of their footing and trying not to slip on the pudding top. Also chuck in the mix concern over the recent over zealous reffing and its understandable if a few challenges were missed.

I thought Williams had a good game last night and seems to be improving with every game - he’s probably just getting used to the team and the way we play.

I also think he’s much better next to Lee, there’s far more balance than him and Thomason. I like Thomason and think he’s a real success story for the season but I do think that there are stronger first choice midfield pairings within the squad at the moment. That’s no criticism of him, he’s had a great first season in professional football so far, and there’s no doubt there’s a lot for him to add off the bench / starting the odd game for the rest of the season, but the quality and experience of players like Lee, Williams and Sarcevic when he’s back I think makes us look a far stronger team.

• Site Supporter

I've just listened to Cough's interview with the sound on (I don't like his voice at the best of times).

He's very bitter for an ordinary footballer turned unspectacular football manger who has never been out of the Midlands apart from similarly unspectacular spells in the northwest.   

2 minutes ago, Francis Fogarty said:

I've just listened to Cough's interview with the sound on (I don't like his voice at the best of times).

He's very bitter for an ordinary footballer turned unspectacular football manger who has never been out of the Midlands apart from similarly unspectacular spells in the northwest.   

Against my better judgement i watched it but only after watching Evatt.  HAHA that's all i can say to his one sided crying.  Might see if it was a total fluke if we play them again this season, otherwise adios Nigel to you your shit club with even shitter pitch shithole of a ground and shithouse fans.

1 hour ago, W.cramp said:

Santos mom for me .   That pitch last night was primed for a possible fu## up bringing the ball out or receiving a pass from gilkes but the lad looks to have grown in confidence -  also likely to be because he trusts baptiste next to him.    

And not having to have half an eye on covering the full back positions has to have given him more focus on the job in hand.  It feels like we've come to the party and can compete now that we aren't playing with 1 hand behind our back.

On the subject of centre halves, do we have any cover at all?  Delaney, Greenidge have gone AWOL and it seems to have gone quiet on that QPR triallist.  With Taft gone we've gone from loads of cover to none (that are picked).

• Site Supporter

Lee's touch and play is a class above. If he stays fit he will be the difference, reminds me a bit of Gary Speed.

Williams will benefit from having his experience there, young Thomasson can learn heaps from him.

Loved that last night, for the first time in ages i literally shouted out loud when we equalised and went in front, had a bonk on and did a bit of love wee.