Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Recommend a supermarket 'secret' food that you always buy that folk might not be aware of

Kane57

3 minutes ago, Ani said:

No microwave is strange  any reason ? 

My last house was quite small, so it would have taken up too much work surface in the kitchen. This new house, the kitchen is plenty big enough, but I'm used to not having one.

I'm not sure really what I might use one for, I don't buy any ready meals at all, and that's all I can think that a microwave would be used for - I'm never in that much a rush that I can't wait 10 or 15 minutes for something to cook in the Ninja, or worst case 1/2 hour in the oven

8 minutes ago, Sweep said:

My last house was quite small, so it would have taken up too much work surface in the kitchen. This new house, the kitchen is plenty big enough, but I'm used to not having one.

I'm not sure really what I might use one for, I don't buy any ready meals at all, and that's all I can think that a microwave would be used for - I'm never in that much a rush that I can't wait 10 or 15 minutes for something to cook in the Ninja, or worst case 1/2 hour in the oven

Jacket potatoes and Uncle Bens rice are our main things, along with defrosting stuff  

Missus and step daughter are doing slimming world at moment so they get their ready meals, normally we do not have ready meals at all  

15 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

Ive never owned a microwave

3 minutes ago, Carlos said:

I've not geet one, we had one in the 80s along with a Ferguson Videostar.

I thought I was the only person without one. It seems all the big "movers and shakers" manage without a microwave zapping our food 🙂

6 minutes ago, mickbrown said:

They're literally not just squashed spuds.

Maybe that's where you're going wrong?😀

They are though. With some milk, butter salt and pepper. The only real difference in how they taste is how well mashed they are and what you add to them. 

Just now, mickbrown said:

So they're literally not just spuds. 😀

The literal spuds are what you buy ready mashed from Asda. Then you add whatever little flourishes you feel are necessary to suit your sophisticated palate. To be honest - all they need is a bit of butter in my opinion. Maybe some salt if you're feeling that way inclined! 😁

24 minutes ago, Sweep said:

I thought I was the only person without one. It seems all the big "movers and shakers" manage without a microwave zapping our food 🙂

No microwave here neither.

No processed or pre-prepared food, not good for you. 

1 hour ago, bolton_blondie said:

I thought better of you. Ready made mash and frozen aunt Bessie's! Tut tut

I'm telling you. 

I wouldn't have believed it either.

I was introduced to both from a foodie when he was twatting about unessecarily with a steak. 

Mash is at least as good as I can make it. Roasties - well they will never be quite as good as home made - but they're 95%. Give them a whirl and if you don't enjoy them I'll give you your money back! 🙂

Hark at all the microwave-less Marco Pierre Whites on here (see what I did there?)

I cook 90% from scratch and couldn't do without one.

Reheating stuff, especially say pasta or a pilau in the oven or on the hob? Ballache.

I like lattes, cappuccinos, cacao - doing milk in a pan = boilovers, caramelised milk welded to the pan. Microwave minute and a half - done.

Blanching veg for curries or stews...

Steams stuff in a few minutes versus half an hour in a pan or steamer.

Loads of uses other than plastic tray crap.

I guarantee Marco and Gordon have one at home.

Some of my staples...

Alesto Walnuts - £2 Lidl, handful of these in the morning make one a sexual tyranosaurus. One of the seven daily superfood doses for about 20p.

Robertshaws 100% Cooked Beetroot in Natural Juices - Home Bargains 35p a pack for another superfood daily at 5p a go.

Windward Hot Pepper Sauce - H.B. again 69p Hot as the sun, now prefer it over the dearer Encona.

Morrison's catpiss bitter at 90p for 4x440ml, mixed with 45p Lemonade 60/40. Both ice cold - pisses all over any non-alcoholic beer.

Asda do frozen Blueberries which are great for porridge etc.

And not forgetting the healthiest superfood of all...

DSCF4679.JPG

Edited by Youri McAnespie

23 minutes ago, kent_white said:

I'm telling you. 

I wouldn't have believed it either.

I was introduced to both from a foodie when he was twatting about unessecarily with a steak. 

Mash is at least as good as I can make it. Roasties - well they will never be quite as good as home made - but they're 95%. Give them a whirl and if you don't enjoy them I'll give you your money back! 🙂

It's true and again if it's good enough for Delia....