Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Recommend a supermarket 'secret' food that you always buy that folk might not be aware of

Kane57

14 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

I've only recently discovered freezing mash instead of throwing out spuds that are a little bit past their best. Absolute revelation, really can't believe how well they turn up. I very much draw the line at buying pre-frozen mash though.

Cooked veg can be frozen too - but needs to be in a sauce of some kind.

A quick white sauce or tomato sauce.

I also use the 1kg bags of frozen mix veg - cauli, broccoli, carrots, french beans...£1 a bag and no prep or wastage.

Only for myself mind, wouldn't cheat in company.

Saying 'I've no microwave' is basically saying 'I feed my dustbin'...

Reheating leftovers any other way is madness.

Not reheating at all is sectionable behaviour.

Answer this, Esco...When you've wiped your arse do you.

A. Pull up your underkeks and strides whilst simultaneously standing up?

Or

B. Bend over from a standing position and pull your keks/strides up?

22 minutes ago, Burndens Bogs said:

Not just perfectly acceptable - it should be compulsory, i struggle to eat a chippy fish without curry sauce on it - its got to be that yellow chinesey type stuff though, owt else is just wrong.

I make fish curry in the Indian style a lot, really quick to do.

I like fish, chips and peas without curry too.

Fish barms an' all - I'll have a scoop of scraps added sometimes and extra Sow-finger.

• Site Supporter

I’ll get minced for this but here goes....

Fish and chips is really really bland. There’s a reason it has to be smothered in hot lard with beef or curry flavourings. I probably go to a chippy 3-4 times a year.

Those of you without a microwave - how on earth do you reheat your caviar niblets without one? And baked beans? Surely you don’t ferret around pan heating?

Bet you don’t have a mandolin either.

• Members
12 minutes ago, Spider said:

I’ll get minced for this but here goes....

Fish and chips is really really bland. There’s a reason it has to be smothered in hot lard with beef or curry flavourings. I probably go to a chippy 3-4 times a year.

Those of you without a microwave - how on earth do you reheat your caviar niblets without one? And baked beans? Surely you don’t ferret around pan heating?

Bet you don’t have a mandolin either.

Not my first choice. Gives me heartburn and I always feel like shit afterwards. 

17 minutes ago, Ani said:

Right this might be the strangest thing ever........no one I know over here has vinegar on chips. 

I am sure some do but not in my circle of philistines.

They don’t up here in the East mate. West aye but not the east. Plenty vinegar for me 

• Site Supporter
7 minutes ago, Youri McAnespie said:

You must have a crap chippy.

I enjoy a smaller portion though.

A whole portion of chips with a fish is too much imo.

I’ve tried plenty but find battered fish just tasteless. Chips is chips.

I don’t mind a nice big sausage though, your majesty

3 minutes ago, Spider said:

I’ve tried plenty but find battered fish just tasteless. Chips is chips.

I don’t mind a nice big sausage though, your majesty

That's because cod is as bland as it gets, it needs a decent batter with it, or you're right it's just shit

3 minutes ago, Youri McAnespie said:

I've only ever ate a chippy sausage once - and that had been bought for the dog.

I was still hungry though - I wasn't impressed, reminded me of primary school sausage.

I don't get people who get pies from the chippy either.

Cheese and onion pies from a chippy can be great with chips and mushy peas.

Having celeriac puree with our haggis tonight - my favourite. 

2 minutes ago, Youri McAnespie said:

I've only ever ate a chippy sausage once - and that had been bought for the dog.

I was still hungry though - I wasn't impressed, reminded me of primary school sausage.

I don't get people who get pies from the chippy either.

They love pies in the chippy down here. When we were allowed to meet up in the pub garden, my mate rang us up and said he was going to the chippy on the way down to meet us. So we told him to get us a bit of food, and we'd eat it in the garden with our pints. Lovely I thought.

He appears about 20 minutes later, and hands out the packages with a fucking gormless look on his grid and says "I didn't know what to get, so I got a few different things lads, it's pot luck really"   -  I ended up with Chips and a Cheese & Leak Pie, who the fuckery orders a cheese and leak pie from the chip shop?

1 minute ago, Sweep said:

They love pies in the chippy down here. When we were allowed to meet up in the pub garden, my mate rang us up and said he was going to the chippy on the way down to meet us. So we told him to get us a bit of food, and we'd eat it in the garden with our pints. Lovely I thought.

He appears about 20 minutes later, and hands out the packages with a fucking gormless look on his grid and says "I didn't know what to get, so I got a few different things lads, it's pot luck really"   -  I ended up with Chips and a Cheese & Leak Pie, who the fuckery orders a cheese and leak pie from the chip shop?

See above.

32 minutes ago, Ani said:

Right this might be the strangest thing ever........no one I know over here has vinegar on chips. 

I am sure some do but not in my circle of philistines.

During my time spent living on the wrong side of the Pennines, one thing I noticed in chippies is the customer puts the salt n vinegar on their chips themselves, rather than just being asked if they want any and then the server doing it.

1 minute ago, Not in Crawley said:

See above.

Quite 🙂

See, I love a Cheese & Onion Pie (or Cheese and Leak if you will) and my Mum makes a brilliant one, which is one of my favourite foods. I just don't see it as a foodstuff from a Chippy, still, it's good to have a bit of variety/choice I suppose

1 minute ago, DazBob said:

During my time spent living on the wrong side of the Pennines, one thing I noticed in chippies is the customer puts the salt n vinegar on their chips themselves, rather than just being asked if they want any and then the server doing it.

The new chippy in our village has just started doing that, he asked me if I wanted S&V and I said yes - then we both just stared at each other rather awkwardly for what seemed like an age, until he said "You put it on yourself, only you know how much you like". It makes sense really

Just now, Sweep said:

Quite 🙂

See, I love a Cheese & Onion Pie (or Cheese and Leak if you will) and my Mum makes a brilliant one, which is one of my favourite foods. I just don't see it as a foodstuff from a Chippy, still, it's good to have a bit of variety/choice I suppose

I got into it back in Bolton. My mate was a veggie and always got that order from the chippy near New Hall Lane. It was bloody lovely.

Still can't get the chips right down here though. 

Just now, Youri McAnespie said:

Cheese and Leek fucking pies, but nowt moist..?

Savvern cants.

Chippies in the south are invariably crap.

Kebab/Pizza/allsorts takeaways that try and do fish and chips are bastards too, location unimportant.

They do gravy, in fact I've been to loads down here and never found one that doesn't

You're right about chicken shops, pizza places and kebab shops trying to do fish and chips, they're nearly always terrible