Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Numeracy

globaldiver

14 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

What about using the "amount of" instead of the "number of" where something can be counted, eg people?

Erm, glad someone spotted my intentional error. :D

Edited by DazBob

1 hour ago, DazBob said:

I'm not surprised at all. I'd imagine spelling and grammar isn't any better.

The amount of people who don't know how or when to use there, their and they're is astonishing. Same with your and you're.

Adults saying could/would/should of instead of could/would/should have is an odd one.

... and most bizarrely the amount who seemingly aren't award of the word "too", for example when they say "that costs to much".

Unless an individual has learning difficulties there is simply no excuse for not having a basic grasp of numeracy and English.

Your loosing me now. 

when you see a newspaper headline that sez "bills increase 154%" 

i never have a clue what that means. mainly because i never know whether the hundered percent includes the original value or not. 

if the original bill is a tenner , is the new one £15.40 or £25.40 ?

if the orginal bill is an odd number youve got no chance of figuring it out . 

i was told that the hundred percent IS the original number, so its A. but the newspaper usually goes off it being B. 

adding or multipling percentages is ambiguous as owt

19 minutes ago, e2e4 said:

i never have a clue what that means. mainly because i never know whether the hundered percent includes the original value or not. 

if the orginal bill is an odd number youve got no chance of figuring it out . 

i was told that the hundred percent IS the original number, so its A. but the newspaper usually goes off it being B. 

adding or multipling percentages is ambiguous as owt

If you have an investment go up 100% it's doubled. 

If it's up 154% it's doubled your initial then just over half again. 

But if its a newspaper headline it's anyone's guess and the story is probably 100% bollocks anyway. 

24 minutes ago, e2e4 said:

£15.40 is a rise to 154% of original
£25.40 is a rise of 154%

• Site Supporter

I just did an out-of- curiosity maths test.  I got one wrong.  The question had been

Peter bought an item for £29.75 inclusive if VAT. 

How much the item before VAT wad added? 

What it didn't give was the rate of VAT. 

I hope kids aren't given  incomplete questions like that.

• Site Supporter

Won't say too much.

But some parents simply don't put the value in maths.

I've been off for 2 weeks due to illness, and due to the nature of the job can't give specifics.. but reckon there will be a lot who haven't done any educational maths since before Christmas.  Lots will have many different excuses too.. same in all schools. 

Parents hated maths and that's passed on to their kids. 

Edited by only1swanny
autocorrect

1 minute ago, only1swanny said:

Won't say too much.

I've been off for 2 weeks due to illness, and due to the nature of the job can't give specifics.. but reckon there will be a lot who haven't done any educational maths since before Christmas.  Lots will have many different excuses too.. same in all schools. 

I was shite at maths at school, it was brilliant when the pocket calculator came out, and work out goal average in the league table.

• Site Supporter
15 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Vicious circle.

Pretty much. It's part of the reason why the Pupil Premium system started which identifies children that the system may leave behind and gives them an extra boost. 

Simple things such as checking on them, marking their work first and regular contact home. 

• Site Supporter
2 minutes ago, only1swanny said:

Pretty much. It's part of the reason why the Pupil Premium system started which identifies children that the system may leave behind and gives them an extra boost. 

Simple things such as checking on them, marking their work first and regular contact home. 

Breaking the chain is arguably the Holy Grail of education for me.

That said, there has to be a balance in the amount of resources that are put into different groups.

Numerous ideas over the decades; not sure anything will ever fully sort it.

Convinced more vocational education will help, but time will tell.

18 minutes ago, MickyD said:

I just did an out-of- curiosity maths test.  I got one wrong.  The question had been

Peter bought an item for £29.75 inclusive if VAT. 

How much the item before VAT wad added? 

What it didn't give was the rate of VAT. 

I hope kids aren't given  incomplete questions like that.

if its 20% , its still a tough question. 

but multiply the figure by 0.83333 . 

29.75 x 0.83333... = £24.79

24.79 x 1.2 = 29.75

decimal works easier than percentages imo

• Site Supporter
18 minutes ago, e2e4 said:

if its 20% , its still a tough question. 

but multiply the figure by 0.83333 . 

29.75 x 0.83333... = £24.79

24.79 x 1.2 = 29.75

decimal works easier than percentages imo

Divide it by 120 to get 1% then multiply that by 100 to get the original..

Or just divide by 1.2

You could even do 29750 / 12 or 14875/6 if you don't like long division, and then remember to put the two ignored decimal places back in. 

I'm imagining that's one of those "weird methods" though. Letting students play around using other methods is part of numeracy. 

56 minutes ago, only1swanny said:

Won't say too much.

My lad is 7 and with homeschooling for maths he's a nightmare. Lockdown one he literally just forgot how to count. 

This one, he knows he struggles so lacks confidence and just guesses. 

We're working through his work but also adding in some basic stuff to build back his confidence. 

It's mad because he can do the process for long division and multiplication but struggles still with his basic stuff 

• Site Supporter
4 hours ago, MickyD said:

No it doesn’t but some math problems don’t need a calculator yet some wouldn’t entertain attempting to solve without that safety net.

Maybe you should entertain the idea of using a comma now and then.

• Site Supporter
Just now, stevieb said:

My lad is 7 and with homeschooling for maths he's a nightmare. Lockdown one he literally just forgot how to count. 

This one, he knows he struggles so lacks confidence and just guesses. 

We're working through his work but also adding in some basic stuff to build back his confidence. 

It's mad because he can do the process for long division and multiplication but struggles still with his basic stuff 

Happens a lot with home schooling.. had a year 9 that could do pythagoras, cos and sine rule and even compound interest, aside from she couldn't multiply.  

Basics are missed and you're doing the right thing there. I do multiplication Mondays, every week. Some ace it, lots don't. 

• Site Supporter
4 minutes ago, only1swanny said:

I'm imagining that's one of those "weird methods" though. Letting students play around using other methods is part of numeracy. 

I remember a sales training course I went on: one of the tasks we did determined certain characteristics of how we, as individuals, would think.

I was a 'visual' person in the main, with other bits.

Dunno if anything like this comes into teaching, but I think your last sentence makes a great deal of sense. Anyone learning something will find a method that suits them best.

1 minute ago, Escobarp said:

Why wouldn’t you just divide it by 1.2? 

the same reason i cant tell if a bill goes up by 154% and what that means. dont trust that way. multiplying percentages and adding percentages , daft. might be the wording , too. 

so figured out 1 ÷ 1.2 = 0.8333 . at least i can tell whats happening. seems finite. 

folk struggling with numbers is totally imaginable. i cant really fault folk for not getting it. 

8 minutes ago, e2e4 said:

the same reason i cant tell if a bill goes up by 154% and what that means. dont trust that way. multiplying percentages and adding percentages , daft. might be the wording , too. 

so figured out 1 ÷ 1.2 = 0.8333 . at least i can tell whats happening. seems finite. 

folk struggling with numbers is totally imaginable. i cant really fault folk for not getting it. 

I’m a maths geek 🤓. I sit doing maths puzzles at night sometimes and really interesting stuff like that. Also tutor my mates daughter who struggles with all things mathematical! 

I also work with things with vat added on a daily basis so always just divide the gross by 1.2 to derive the net figure.