Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Another youngster gone

Benny The Ball

A shame, but it's the reality of where we are & why getting back to Championship level is important. 

Just an hour for us, no time on the bench and no prospect of being selected by us for the foreseeable. Obviously not ready for week by week starts but a prospect lost while we sign 20+ players & need(ed) 5 more this month and youth can go hang. Progressive managers eh ?!

1 hour ago, Benny The Ball said:

Looked promising in the Trophy game against Shrewsbury reserves, but since then I think only made our bench once?

Manager obviously doesnt fancy him 

• Members
5 minutes ago, BOWTUN BAKED said:

Sure enough, from the start then

I reckon it probably costs a mid table PL club 3-5m a year. 
Think is it’s £250k in our pockets to use immediately, hopefully short term loss for a long term gain if we can use that to persuade one or two to join us to strengthen. 

1 hour ago, bwfc2003 said:

Looked promising in the Trophy game against Shrewsbury reserves, but since then I think only made our bench once?

More likely couldn't afford for him to be injured.  Not saying he would have started league games but surely would have got a chance as an occasional sub.

1 hour ago, bwfc2003 said:

Not convinced 

Maybe our financial situation is far worse than is in the public domain 

Needs must I think 

16 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

I’d think the lad and his family made a call to leave, can’t hold onto anyone in this Mickey Mouse league.

From 4th September BWFC website 

Bolton Wanderers Academy Manager Mark Litherland has today welcomed ten new scholars to the club’s Academy.

Litherland, who was recently appointed to the role, underlined the privilege of representing Bolton Wanderers and the importance of the scholars’ relentless pursuit of excellence as they aim to become professional footballers for the club.

He said: “I’d like to welcome into Bolton Wanderers Football Club Bright Amoateng, Joseph Brown, Maxwell Conway, Mitchell Henry, Ellis Litherland, Arran Pettifer, Jack Thompson, Lamine Toure, Mathew Tweedley and Max Wilcox who will join the seven second year scholars we already have: Markus Assarsson, Ryan Colvin, Jay Fitzmartin, Luke Hutchinson, Finlay Lockett, Regan Riley and Nathan Whalley.

Two vital components for academy players to progress into the first team environment are now established.

“First of all, Ian Evatt, the Head Coach, wholeheartedly buys into youth development. He has been fantastic with the scholars in the short time we’ve been back training and he has demonstrated that he’s pro youth and would be willing to give the players an opportunity.

“Secondly, under the guidance of the Head of Football Operations, Tobias Phoenix, the club has designed a clear and defined player pathway. 

“These two components are vital in getting academy players into the first team.

“Our players are in a privileged position representing Bolton and with privilege comes responsibility.

I still think there is far more to it than the player wanting out 

Edited by Benny The Ball

No problem with this, however would have been nice to see a little bit more of him,  cameo roles from the bench? Instead of the dross sat on their arses at the moment. The quote above about Evatt been tuned into our youth setup, not sure about that. He would rather pay to borrow players from Lincoln. 

55 minutes ago, Duck Egg said:

Bring a player in for nowt and sell him for 250k with, hopefully add ons, should he make a career for himself.

Good business. This is moneyball.  It's also what Wigan and Bury did on a regular basis back through the years. 

I'm not sure it is. I think it's more likely just us losing a promising youngster.

Potentially another youngster on his way out 

Finlay Lockett to Wolves - this story has been around a week or so  - ignored it at the time but its the  same source as broke the Regan Riley story - so maybe something in it 

https://www.footballinsider247.com/exclusive-wolves-set-sights-on-signing-bolton-rising-star-amid-contract-reveal/

Article mentions finances at Bolton and scrapping of Under 23s  - really hoped we could start to turn our fortunes around by keeping hold of these young lads - evidently not

2 hours ago, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

I'm not sure it is. I think it's more likely just us losing a promising youngster.

Well its not quite as obvious as some of Brentfords successes but it's still turning a player that cost us nowt into 250k.  Small steps and all that.  Certainly preferable to them leaving on a free and pitching up at a championship or premier league club later on.