Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Another youngster gone

Benny The Ball

1 hour ago, Dimron said:

A bloke I talk to when dog walking is retained as a scout for Leicester.

He tells me the set up is incredible, every Friday he has to be on a Zoom call without fail from 4pm with everyone involved on the coaching and scouting side from all over the country, sometimes including Brendan Rogers. The meeting can go on all evening and he can only leave the room to go for a pee or put the kettle on.

He recently left Forest and although they were good, Leicester is on another level.

Dougie Freedman gifted them the chance; playing that kid Hall against Blackpool. Worst decision since bringing Chungy on against Baggies when we were 2-0 and would have stayed up

14 minutes ago, RUREADY2ROLL said:

Dougie Freedman gifted them the chance; playing that kid Hall against Blackpool. Worst decision since bringing Chungy on against Baggies when we were 2-0 and would have stayed up

If we’d of beat Leicester that night down there which we should of done that would have been enough, we had great following that night and it was some game & atmosphere. 

Edited by Mounts Kipper

• Site Supporter
47 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

If we’d of beat Leicester that night down there which we should of done that would have been enough, we had great following that night and it was some game & atmosphere. 

Danny fucking Butterfield. 

1 hour ago, Alf Hartigan said:

King Power lends itself to a good atmosphere. Only been once but was impressed

Agree with that.  Only been once, and I was on a freebie in the Leicester exec box, 2004.  Dreadful 1-1 draw, Ian Walker scored a wierd OG.  Les Ferdinand for them.  They were bottom of the league but their main end created a right racket.   Tiny following from Bolton for a midweek fairly meaningless game at the time. Shared a lift with Paul Dickov post match, how small is he.  Our bench was Poole, Moreno, Ba, Otsemobor and Vaz Te.  I reckon it will be better at Salford tomorrow!

1 hour ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Didn’t need to win if I remember rightly

a draw would have kept us in play off places meaning we would go into Blackpool game with it in our hands 

3 hours ago, peelyfeet said:

I only know what its been like over the last 8 years - my lad has been at bolton since he was 5 - his older brother played for ladybridge and teams around wigan and west lancs, I saw a few bolton scouts watching his matches and tournaments, but you wouldnt have known if you didn't know their faces - John Haworth was the main one at youngesters age- but they'd also send the coaches out to grass roots games.  

whilst he's been there,  from 5 or 6yrs up to to 8yrs old, bolton only used to select about 20 lads per year, and sign about 10 of them at age 9, whereas many of the other academies are like sausage factories  - my lad was at city for a few years when he was young (it was too far to travel - we live in west lancs), must have seen 200 kids come and go in the space of a couple of years, and you see most of them playing for smaller clubs now.

from what I can gather, FV want to get more involved with local teams. If they're true to their word they'll probably invite more clubs down to the academy to play and train.     

They need to. My lad had offers from 3 clubs before even seeing a Bolton scout. He was picked out at the arena. He played up a year against our academy, scored the grassroots team only goal of the night, then went in net and played as well as anyone... He was there on a plate. 

He would've chosen us over anyone, we let him choose who to play for (made a sacrifice in terms of general football skills); and its cost a fortune in fuel and buying shit from the club shop too. 

We need that presence, even if not for the overall price of a footballer, but for keeping kids and families in the breast of the club. 

So many kids dream of being footballers (adults too), get them involved as much as possible: more community initiatives, more opportunities: the academy should be seen as a golden stepping stone for all kids who want to make it

• Site Supporter
5 minutes ago, bwfc2003 said:

It’s shit - full of happy fuckin clapper things

I'd agree those things are shit, but we had a good away following that night, but their home support still sounded good.

Just imagine some of the games they have seen since and the atmosphere created

4 hours ago, green genie said:

Very interesting @peelyfeet.

Always been a bugbear that Argo don't produce more of own talent given catchment. Exeter have been prospering from selling on likes of Ollie Watkins and Ampadu for millions, but Southampton have set up branches of academy across SW and Chelsea & ManU pitch up with open training days looking for talent 

Haslam Park primary school was a featured school by United on one of the games this season via teams or something. They came into the school gave everyone in year 6 a United shirt and goodie bag and got them on the telly. How do you compete?

5 hours ago, blackleywhite said:

Haslam Park primary school was a featured school by United on one of the games this season via teams or something. They came into the school gave everyone in year 6 a United shirt and goodie bag and got them on the telly. How do you compete?

Get to them in year 5

8 hours ago, blackleywhite said:

physical violence

9 hours ago, blackleywhite said:

Dont let the fuckers in through the door

12 hours ago, Dr Faustus said:

They need to. My lad had offers from 3 clubs before even seeing a Bolton scout. He was picked out at the arena. He played up a year against our academy, scored the grassroots team only goal of the night, then went in net and played as well as anyone... He was there on a plate. 

He would've chosen us over anyone, we let him choose who to play for (made a sacrifice in terms of general football skills); and its cost a fortune in fuel and buying shit from the club shop too. 

We need that presence, even if not for the overall price of a footballer, but for keeping kids and families in the breast of the club. 

So many kids dream of being footballers (adults too), get them involved as much as possible: more community initiatives, more opportunities: the academy should be seen as a golden stepping stone for all kids who want to make it

We've got to admit, it's been shite and needs improvement. Even when my lad signed, it was a let down, there was no photo op, no player or manager or ex player, just a load of parents in a room filling in forms. Nothing special, no celebration. Of the lads who currently play in my lads year, 1 supports bwfc, most of them have been there since 6yrs old. They get free tickets to every home match. Theres 1 or 2 who go regularly, some never go, others maybe 3 or 4 times a season. The kids don't know who the players or the manager are, or anything of the history. I'm talking 13 and 14 year olds whove been playing in the academy for 8 years. When I told my son that Jimmy Phillips had left, he said "who's he?"

3 hours ago, peelyfeet said:

We've got to admit, it's been shite and needs improvement. Even when my lad signed, it was a let down, there was no photo op, no player or manager or ex player, just a load of parents in a room filling in forms. Nothing special, no celebration. Of the lads who currently play in my lads year, 1 supports bwfc, most of them have been there since 6yrs old. They get free tickets to every home match. Theres 1 or 2 who go regularly, some never go, others maybe 3 or 4 times a season. The kids don't know who the players or the manager are, or anything of the history. I'm talking 13 and 14 year olds whove been playing in the academy for 8 years. When I told my son that Jimmy Phillips had left, he said "who's he?"

that is bad- they should feel proud of their achivement and remember the day; it could be the highlight of their youth- at Burnley they were all on the big screen signing on, then went on the pitch at half time of the last gome of the season. they kids were getting high fives (well sixes) from supporters as they came off the pitch. He's met Nick Pope, Tom Heaton, Joe Hart, Dyche et al; he cares about the club, and it has a family feel about it. I cant think of one reason why we cant be like that

• Site Supporter
10 minutes ago, Dr Faustus said:

that is bad- they should feel proud of their achivement and remember the day; it could be the highlight of their youth- at Burnley they were all on the big screen signing on, then went on the pitch at half time of the last gome of the season. they kids were getting high fives (well sixes) from supporters as they came off the pitch. He's met Nick Pope, Tom Heaton, Joe Hart, Dyche et al; he cares about the club, and it has a family feel about it. I cant think of one reason why we cant be like that

Get the impression from Sharon's comments that they want that back.