Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Staycations

Dimron

4 minutes ago, Dimron said:

Not certain I will be allowed to travel to my preferred Ile le Homme so I'm thinking of Chappelle San Leonard on the east coast.

Can anyone suggest any other exotic staycations I might try?

Ashby de la Zouche

Did Butlins Minehead and Glamping in Wrexham last year. 

Butlins I'd deffo swerve but Rackery Retreat glamping was amazing and if there's availability when they reopen ill be looking to rebook. 

I'd be interested in anywhere with a hot tub! 

Can't see us getting away this summer. Even if we race away with vaccines nowhere else is! 

1 hour ago, Dimron said:

Not certain I will be allowed to travel to my preferred Ile le Homme so I'm thinking of Chappelle San Leonard on the east coast.

Can anyone suggest any other exotic staycations I might try?

North coast 500. If you don’t mind plenty of driving and like being very remote at times then there’s nowhere better it’s amazing 

• Site Supporter
13 minutes ago, Dimron said:

We used to go to La Falsa-no a lot as kids, climbed Le Grande Ormet a few times

Shall be exploring Les Bré Connes for sure.

Last time we were there, we past some fella at the side of the road with a fucking huge machine gun overlooking the hills. Chilled out he was, lay back in his fatigues.

Very Gallic. 

6 minutes ago, gregbwfc said:

Been planning just this, fingers crossed we can do it.

Looks amazing 

I did it in September last year mate. Do it in reverse I would say. Start at Inverness and head Upto wick John ogroats and round that way. 

if you want any pointers for accommodation let me know we stayed in a fantastic hotel in tongue and would go back in a heartbeat. 

6 minutes ago, gregbwfc said:

36 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

North coast 500. If you don’t mind plenty of driving and like being very remote at times then there’s nowhere better it’s 

It's the big tourist route, had our MOTY trying to go on about it, but also how they hate it, because folks from the cities think its cool.

Just now, Escobarp said:

I did it in September last year mate. Do it in reverse I would say. Start at Inverness and head Upto wick John ogroats and round that way. 

if you want any pointers for accommodation let me know we stayed in a fantastic hotel in tongue and would go back in a heartbeat. 

Cheers 👍. We're having to start off in Inverary as we have 3 days rolled over from a booking last year, so we can go either way round really. Bit of a drive but it'll be worth it.

1 minute ago, Not in Crawley said:

It's the big tourist route, had our MOTY trying to go on about it, but also how they hate it, because folks from the cities think its cool.

I did it out of season because I’ve always wanted to visit a number of the  places and it was much much quieter even given it was during the staycation boom.

i also don’t live in a city nor do stuff cos it’s cool but cos I want to 😎 but I can see why it would be overly busy in the summer. 

but again they are happy to take peoples money and the tourism which keeps the areas alive but moan about them. Set of mick browns by the sound of it 

2 minutes ago, gregbwfc said:

Cheers 👍. We're having to start off in Inverary as we have 3 days rolled over from a booking last year, so we can go either way round really. Bit of a drive but it'll be worth it.

Aye you are well placed to do either way. Glenfinnan viaduct is worth a quick stop off if any of the family liked the Harry Potter films 

Its certainly going to be boom time over this way if foreign holidays are off the menu. Bring it on.

Think we will head over to Mablethorpe again, really enjoyed last summer.

On a slightly related note one of my mates is currently on a two week job on some mad isle on the outer hebradies. Took 12 hours driving and a ferry from the isle of skye. Fitting out a US army training base. They are incomming to train on island ready for deployment in Iran.

Theres not a person in sight, one pub and one shop. Now thats my kind of staycation. Minus the work obviously :)

2 minutes ago, gonzo said:

Its certainly going to be boom time over this way if foreign holidays are off the menu. Bring it on.

Think we will head over to Mablethorpe again, really enjoyed last summer.

On a slightly related note one of my mates is currently on a two week job on some mad isle on the outer hebradies. Took 12 hours driving and a ferry from the isle of skye. Fitting out a US army training base. They are incomming to train on island ready for deployment in Iran.

Theres not a person in sight, one pub and one shop. Now thats my kind of staycation. Minus the work obviously :)

Which island is it do you know? 

15 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

I did it out of season because I’ve always wanted to visit a number of the  places and it was much much quieter even given it was during the staycation boom.

i also don’t live in a city nor do stuff cos it’s cool but cos I want to 😎 but I can see why it would be overly busy in the summer. 

but again they are happy to take peoples money and the tourism which keeps the areas alive but moan about them. Set of mick browns by the sound of it 

Edinburgh?