Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Staycations

Dimron

Just now, Escobarp said:

Too much hassle for most folk having to get wee ferries here there and everywhere but will certainly increase  the footfall 

when i was a kiddie in the  60s we used to have to use 3 ferries on the mainland just to get up the West coast to Old Shoremore

the first was at Ballachulish and just to get to the top would take nearly 3 days

worth it when you got there , empty beaches and do your own thing

fires in the evening , fishing , love it 

2 minutes ago, crawshawbooth said:

when i was a kiddie in the  60s we used to have to use 3 ferries on the mainland just to get up the West coast to Old Shoremore

the first was at Ballachulish and just to get to the top would take nearly 3 days

worth it when you got there , empty beaches and do your own thing

fires in the evening , fishing , love it 

We came back through ballachulish on our way back from up north. Did glenfinnan and then home that way. 

I would like to retire somewhere north/north west of Inverness when the time comes if possible. 

3 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

We came back through ballachulish on our way back from up north. Did glenfinnan and then home that way. 

I would like to retire somewhere north/north west of Inverness when the time comes if possible. 

We love Ardnamurchan peninsular because it is easier for us to get there , beaches are stunning ,it is that last 80 miles of single track road that is the killer

It does keep the non commited away though

1 minute ago, crawshawbooth said:

We love Ardnamurchan peninsular because it is easier for us to get there , beaches are stunning ,it is that last 80 miles of single track road that is the killer

It does keep the non commited away though

Never been over that way. The single track roads on the north coast are horrendous. Them passing places are nippy as fuck. 

Aye Uist is a wonderful place. Can drive from Eriskay in the South to Berneray in the North due to causeways. Never seen landscapes like it anywhere else 

It's like one of those places you read about, Africa or summat when they see the white man turn up and it's an event. Folk wave at you driving down the street. 

Loved Harris too, found Lewis pretty dull even though the same island.

We went in May and got great weather

30 minutes ago, jayjayoghani said:

Aye Uist is a wonderful place. Can drive from Eriskay in the South to Berneray in the North due to causeways. Never seen landscapes like it anywhere else 

It's like one of those places you read about, Africa or summat when they see the white man turn up and it's an event. Folk wave at you driving down the street. 

Loved Harris too, found Lewis pretty dull even though the same island.

We went in May and got great weather

Girl I used to have working for me cane from Lewis.  Strange place from the stories she told. 

hopefully do a bit of island hopping this year. 

and I’ve never had any problem with midges in all the time I’ve been up here 

Going on holiday to Keswick.. I thought staycation meant you stayed in your house? I'd love to get up to scotland though and look more at northumbria, been to Alnwick which was nice place but been disappointed with other stuff seen there.. went to portmadog, criceith,  abersoch couple of years back thought that was fantastic place.

• Site Supporter
19 minutes ago, Ghana White said:

Going on holiday to Keswick.. I thought staycation meant you stayed in your house? I'd love to get up to scotland though and look more at northumbria, been to Alnwick which was nice place but been disappointed with other stuff seen there.. went to portmadog, criceith,  abersoch couple of years back thought that was fantastic place.

Disappointed with parts of Northumberland?

Which bits have you visited?

Some good beaches, which no doubt will get busy this year, but it's a vast place. 

14 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Disappointed with parts of Northumberland?

Which bits have you visited?

Some good beaches, which no doubt will get busy this year, but it's a vast place. 

I've only been to seahouses on the coast, I've heard good stuff about Bamburgh and other places further up the coast, like I said I need to get back up there,  any recommendations gratefully received

1 hour ago, Ghana White said:

I've only been to seahouses on the coast, I've heard good stuff about Bamburgh and other places further up the coast, like I said I need to get back up there,  any recommendations gratefully received

Bamburgh has one of the finest cricket backdrops in the country

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, Ghana White said:

Seahouses has got busier over the years, last time I went it wasn't as good.

Further up, find the ship Inn at Newton by the sea.

Obviously its closed at the moment, but its quite a place; you have to park up in the village and have a mooch along the beach to it. Lots of character.

Further down, a great walk from Embleton to Craster. Along beaches or through fields. Go past Dunstanburgh Castle ruin.

The jolly fisherman (I think) opposite the smoke House in Craster does good food (crab soup is top stuff).

Rothbury is a lovely area, with Cragside gardens if that floats your boat. Other national trust places too.

Great walking country.

Bamburgh Castle is impressive, but for fucks sake, dont take any pictures inside!

Doddington dairy does a some great local cheese, and is available in the area.

Wooler also a good base for walking (great butchers too), but there is so much space, its easy to get away from the crowds.

Rivers give fishing opportunities too.

Edited by Tonge moor green jacket

12 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

How’s the sun and warmth today down south ?

Ha ha - knew i'd draw you out to argue that scotland has better weather somehow...

Its lovely today, nice picturesque light snow, its not laying but on tree branches. All very nice. Just in time for another glorious summer hopefully. Even if it isn't, it'll still be warmer than your desolate outpost. A

Nah, I quite like scotland, my other hald was there for 15 years, but as I say its the weather than would put me off living there. I love the summers down here, you can camp from about mid March to mid Oct no bother. West coast winters are not something I'd like to live through.

2 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

Ha ha - knew i'd draw you out to argue that scotland has better weather somehow...

Its lovely today, nice picturesque light snow, its not laying but on tree branches. All very nice. Just in time for another glorious summer hopefully. Even if it isn't, it'll still be warmer than your desolate outpost. A

Nah, I quite like scotland, my other hald was there for 15 years, but as I say its the weather than would put me off living there. I love the summers down here, you can camp from about mid March to mid Oct no bother. West coast winters are not something I'd like to live through.

Arguing? Better weather? Sorry did I miss a post from myself? Clearly so 

6 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

Scotland tends to have lovely weather in May, summat to do with the Gulf Stream.

No midgies then, either.

Edited by boltondiver