Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Staycations

Dimron

1 minute ago, Escobarp said:

Weathers been pretty crap this week as well so I’m delighted. 48 is a cracking effort. That what you’re doing weekly since kungflu started?

Averaging 61miles/week since last March

17 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

Superb pal. Since I’ve started going out everyday it’s been the mental aspect that I’ve benefitted from more than anything. The weight loss is great but it helps me no end up top 

Absolutely. These are hard times and I'd struggle without the exercise, fresh air and the sense of freedom.

8 hours ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Seahouses has got busier over the years, last time I went it wasn't as good.

Further up, find the ship Inn at Newton by the sea.

Obviously its closed at the moment, but its quite a place; you have to park up in the village and have a mooch along the beach to it. Lots of character.

Further down, a great walk from Embleton to Craster. Along beaches or through fields. Go past Dunstanburgh Castle ruin.

The jolly fisherman (I think) opposite the smoke House in Craster does good food (crab soup is top stuff).

Rothbury is a lovely area, with Cragside gardens if that floats your boat. Other national trust places too.

Great walking country.

Bamburgh Castle is impressive, but for fucks sake, dont take any pictures inside!

Doddington dairy does a some great local cheese, and is available in the area.

Wooler also a good base for walking (great butchers too), but there is so much space, its easy to get away from the crowds.

Rivers give fishing opportunities too.

We have been going up there for 25 years, keep thinking of making it permanent, all of my dogs' ashes are on Bamburgh beach and that is where I'll end up!

Good summary there, for Dustanburgh I'd start at Low Newton and return inland via the golf course and finish at the Ship Inn with its own micro-brewery and a good stout.

Budle Bay is easily accessible from Bamburgh at low tide and you will be virtually on your own. 

Don't forget Mr Carter the butcher in Bamburgh, one of Rick Stein's food heroes. He's a Newcastle season ticket holder and if he cottons on you're BWFC he'll look skywards and ask if you know that grey haired old twat with the whippet 🙂

We once spent a fortnight on Holy Island and it was totally relaxing, when the tide came in you felt your troubles had all gone away

We had a fantastic break, I can't figure out why we haven't returned.

Rented a house in the town and when the tide came in, all the tourists had cleared off and we had the island to ourselves with the locals. Guinness the dog and me walked and walked on a quiet island

Just reading about folk walking miles, losing weight and talking holidays has cheered me right up.  Thanks chaps.

The economy must be in for a right boost once lockdown is eased as there will surely be a mad scramble to book UK holidays, get down to the pub, theatre, shops etc? Those of us who have been lucky enough to stay in work have got cash to burn! 

20 hours ago, mickbrown said:

I can't be arsed reading back to see if another pedant has picked up on this, but staycations are when you don't leave the house.

Going to Cornwall is still a holiday

Not if you go off what OED says, rather than Wiki.

6 hours ago, mickbrown said:

Last time I went to Holy Island, we ballsed up, missed the tide and was stuck there for about 4 hours with young kids and cock all open. And it was pissing down. Felt like a week

The Ship Inn had a very friendly landlady as I recall 

• Site Supporter

I discovered that area about 30 years ago on one of those cheap caravan holidays the morning papers used to give out, we stayed on Heggarston Castle, it was great for the kids at night and during the day you could get out and explore, it was so quiet then one day we did 70 miles mooching about and I didn't feel I'd done any driving no traffic at all. Been back many times since stayed in pubs and cottages in Seahouses, Embleton, Beadnel.Still love the place and the locals are friendly mostly apart from the old landlord at the Fisherman's in Craster he was a proper miserable twat I used to love going to see him, you do notice more and more folk visiting each year as its popularity grows,its fleeing in that wind un all.

On 06/02/2021 at 09:18, Escobarp said:

the coast from longniddry down to north berwick is stunning mate eh. I do love a wander round north berwick as well. 

The tongue hotel 🤣. Lovely hotel had a room looking out over the loch at the back. Lovely beer on draught and the food was spot on. 

Went for a wee swim at Aberlady yesterday, followed by fish & chips from the hut at Longniddry. 

You a chippy sauce man ? 👌

15 minutes ago, London Wanderer said:

Went for a wee swim at Aberlady yesterday, followed by fish & chips from the hut at Longniddry. 

You a chippy sauce man ? 👌

Alandas is awesome eh. If I wasn’t on a diet I would have been indulging the other week when I was down there. 

Chippy sauce is rank rotten. 

• Site Supporter
28 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

Just mix cheap brown sauce and vinegar together and you have chippy sauce. It’s got no place on anything. 

My dad used to do the same just to get the last of the brown sauce out of the bottle

6 minutes ago, MickyD said:

My dad used to do the same just to get the last of the brown sauce out of the bottle

I’ve no doubt that’s where it came from tbh. Sauce has no place on anything for me red or brown so I’ll slightly biased but chippy sauce is completely rotten

29 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

I’ve no doubt that’s where it came from tbh. Sauce has no place on anything for me red or brown so I’ll slightly biased but chippy sauce is completely rotten

Came from East Yorkshire