Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Staycations

Dimron

• Members
34 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Kinell, the dawn chorus is one of nature's great joys.

An early dawn in June can be a challenge, I agree, but its worth it.

Nah sorry I’ve been spoilt by Egyptian cotton sheets, bath robes made by orphans and the tears of virgins showering my soft moisturised skin 

• Members
6 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

Just not a fan of hotels at all and I have better nights sleep camping. The idea that it's all canvas and a bad nights sleep is a myth nowadays. 

Our tent is self inflating, two huge bedrooms, fully electric.

How’s the spa?

7 hours ago, Not in Crawley said:

Nope, my ex lives in Canterbury where the kids are at school, so we are here.

We were thinking about buying a place up back up north (thankfully my other half is a northerner) and renting it out until the time comes to move - but that won't be for at the very least until I'm mid 50s.

Mate of mine bought a boxy new build in a village just outside Canterbury. More or less trebled in value in about 4 years, flogged it  and he bought a big gaff in Cheshire.

17 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

Just not a fan of hotels at all and I have better nights sleep camping. The idea that it's all canvas and a bad nights sleep is a myth nowadays. 

Our tent is self inflating, two huge bedrooms, fully electric.

You've still got to walk to a toilet block  in the dark if you need a shit.

I hate hotels too. I don't want to be living with 1000 strangers when I'm on my hols. Always go self catering.

22 minutes ago, mickbrown said:

You've still got to walk to a toilet block  in the dark if you need a shit.

I hate hotels too. I don't want to be living with 1000 strangers when I'm on my hols. Always go self catering.

We take a portable toilet for nighttime erm.... movements. Its mainly for the kids.

We also like field sites in summer - last year we went to a place for a weekend that had compost toliets. No flush, you did a shit into a pit and covered it over with sawdust. Was actually cleaner and smelt better than some other sites I've been one. Its not for everyne that sort of stop over but its just nice getting the fire going, BBQ on, kids have miles to play in and not bother anyone - plus gets them away from their screens for a bit.

Those places are only for warm weather though, and just a long weekend stay.

37 minutes ago, mickbrown said:

Mate of mine bought a boxy new build in a village just outside Canterbury. More or less trebled in value in about 4 years, flogged it  and he bought a big gaff in Cheshire.

And Caterbury is much cheaper than where we live now. No way we could afford to buy round here a place the size we need it. 4 bed houses near stations, close to a million some of them.

I mean - look at this, 3 bed normal family home near us, bit further out for commuting - needs a lot of work to update it - £825k https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/77046939#/ 

• Members
17 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

We take a portable toilet for nighttime erm.... movements. Its mainly for the kids.

We also like field sites in summer - last year we went to a place for a weekend that had compost toliets. No flush, you did a shit into a pit and covered it over with sawdust. Was actually cleaner and smelt better than some other sites I've been one. Its not for everyne that sort of stop over but its just nice getting the fire going, BBQ on, kids have miles to play in and not bother anyone - plus gets them away from their screens for a bit.

Those places are only for warm weather though, and just a long weekend stay.

Sticking to your LL roots?

• Moderators
4 hours ago, Rudy said:

Nobody in the history of camping has ever had a full comfy uninterrupted nights sleep and woke up feeling refreshed.

So what’s the point 

and then you have to make your own breakfast on a small stove

fuck that

5 minutes ago, Zico said:

fuck that

That's the best bit! We have a few types of stove, from electric hobs, large gas kitchen cooker to portable stove. It cost a bit but this has been superb for us: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Campingaz-Camping-portable-Barbecue-Tabletop/dp/B01AT6LRQ0/ref=asc_df_B01AT6LRQ0/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=218086732501&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=9647703341880274488&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9044978&hvtargid=pla-350382149915&psc=1&th=1&psc=1

Plus you can also fix a small gas bottle so you don't have to cart around the large ones.

• Members
6 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

They use sawdust in LL?

I thought it was a more pick a spot, drop your keks, sort of place

I thought they had gone up market from slinging it out of the window 

5 minutes ago, Zico said:

fuck that

Oh god. Sounds like a POW camp

Id rather spend the week held hostage being tortured by ISIS terrorists than go camping.

Why anyone would pay actual money to be in a worse predicament than your actual real life is beyond me.

All that pissing about to sleep in some woods and piss about trying nourish yourself with minature pots and pans. 

Fuck right off.

Pay someome to cook and bring your food to you. 

Camping is not a holiday. Its an optional struggle.

My BiL and SiL used to take their kids camping in the South of France, or sometimes in Spain - so they'd have to drive for fucking hours on end, then pitch a tent which they said was fun.......what they said wasn't fun was when it absolutely pissed it down on the day they left once, so they're trying to get everything packed up in the pissing down rain, then followed by about a 12 hour drive back to Blighty, and once back home they have to get everything dried out and packed away.

People who go camping are boring as fuck and always try to convert non campers for some reason - "You simply must try it, it's such fun".....is it fuck, who want really wants to spend their relaxation time living like a refugee, under canvas and shitting in a bucket?

People seem to have got the wrong idea about camping - we're not going off grid.

This is our tent (or rather this years model) Airbeam, fully inflatable. We have carpets inside, full kitchen, all electric, so fridge, lights, hobs, even heaters. Our inflatable bed cost £200 - sheets, duvets etc - no sleeping bags.

We also have a few pup tents, so we can get away fro a quick weekend break, throw the tent up and off we go. I think that's probably want more people are thinking of, and that's not for everyone, to be fair. But if we are going for a week, we aren't slumming it.

Vango Joro Air 600XL Airbeam Tent 2021 Tent Package

11 minutes ago, Sweep said:

My BiL and SiL used to take their kids camping in the South of France, or sometimes in Spain - so they'd have to drive for fucking hours on end, then pitch a tent which they said was fun.......what they said wasn't fun was when it absolutely pissed it down on the day they left once, so they're trying to get everything packed up in the pissing down rain, then followed by about a 12 hour drive back to Blighty, and once back home they have to get everything dried out and packed away.

People who go camping are boring as fuck and always try to convert non campers for some reason - "You simply must try it, it's such fun".....is it fuck, who want really wants to spend their relaxation time living like a refugee, under canvas and shitting in a bucket?

I think because people think its shitting in buckets.

Personally I try and avoid those that just like hotels. Been on one all inclusive. The most boring two weeks of my life. 

I like pitching up, getting the camp all sorted and then off to explore. Bit of a walk and then back, BBQ, get the fire pit on, listen to some music, chill out. Its not for everyone, granted, but its not hardship. You just have to invest in decent gear.

I do like camping off grid as well - high summer, open fields, bliss.....