Jump to content
Wanderers Ways - passion not fashion

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I’d rather go self catering in Damascus with an American flag from my balcony. 

Roche Dalé. 

I don't want every man and his dog going to where I'm going. Beautiful it is, and quiet. Best keeping it that way.   Go to the Lakes, Dales or Cornwall. It will be rammed and it wont be enjo

1 minute ago, crawshawbooth said:

a good watch but it lets too many people know where the really stunning places in GB are

Too much hassle for most folk having to get wee ferries here there and everywhere but will certainly increase  the footfall 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Escobarp said:

Too much hassle for most folk having to get wee ferries here there and everywhere but will certainly increase  the footfall 

when i was a kiddie in the  60s we used to have to use 3 ferries on the mainland just to get up the West coast to Old Shoremore

the first was at Ballachulish and just to get to the top would take nearly 3 days

worth it when you got there , empty beaches and do your own thing

fires in the evening , fishing , love it 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, crawshawbooth said:

when i was a kiddie in the  60s we used to have to use 3 ferries on the mainland just to get up the West coast to Old Shoremore

the first was at Ballachulish and just to get to the top would take nearly 3 days

worth it when you got there , empty beaches and do your own thing

fires in the evening , fishing , love it 

We came back through ballachulish on our way back from up north. Did glenfinnan and then home that way. 
 

I would like to retire somewhere north/north west of Inverness when the time comes if possible. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, crawshawbooth said:

Tough retirement winters , but i guess you know that

God own country for me

I will get a bolt hole somewhere probably in the EU 😎 but ideally Thailand but visas an issue. 
 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

We came back through ballachulish on our way back from up north. Did glenfinnan and then home that way. 
 

I would like to retire somewhere north/north west of Inverness when the time comes if possible. 

We love Ardnamurchan peninsular because it is easier for us to get there , beaches are stunning ,it is that last 80 miles of single track road that is the killer

It does keep the non commited away though

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, crawshawbooth said:

We love Ardnamurchan peninsular because it is easier for us to get there , beaches are stunning ,it is that last 80 miles of single track road that is the killer

It does keep the non commited away though

 

Never been over that way. The single track roads on the north coast are horrendous. Them passing places are nippy as fuck. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Aye Uist is a wonderful place. Can drive from Eriskay in the South to Berneray in the North due to causeways. Never seen landscapes like it anywhere else 

It's like one of those places you read about, Africa or summat when they see the white man turn up and it's an event. Folk wave at you driving down the street. 

Loved Harris too, found Lewis pretty dull even though the same island.

We went in May and got great weather

Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, jayjayoghani said:

Aye Uist is a wonderful place. Can drive from Eriskay in the South to Berneray in the North due to causeways. Never seen landscapes like it anywhere else 

It's like one of those places you read about, Africa or summat when they see the white man turn up and it's an event. Folk wave at you driving down the street. 

Loved Harris too, found Lewis pretty dull even though the same island.

We went in May and got great weather

Girl I used to have working for me cane from Lewis.  Strange place from the stories she told. 
 

hopefully do a bit of island hopping this year. 
 

and I’ve never had any problem with midges in all the time I’ve been up here 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Going on holiday to Keswick.. I thought staycation meant you stayed in your house? I'd love to get up to scotland though and look more at northumbria, been to Alnwick which was nice place but been disappointed with other stuff seen there.. went to portmadog, criceith,  abersoch couple of years back thought that was fantastic place.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Site Supporter
19 minutes ago, Ghana White said:

Going on holiday to Keswick.. I thought staycation meant you stayed in your house? I'd love to get up to scotland though and look more at northumbria, been to Alnwick which was nice place but been disappointed with other stuff seen there.. went to portmadog, criceith,  abersoch couple of years back thought that was fantastic place.

Disappointed with parts of Northumberland?

Which bits have you visited?

Some good beaches, which no doubt will get busy this year, but it's a vast place. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Disappointed with parts of Northumberland?

Which bits have you visited?

Some good beaches, which no doubt will get busy this year, but it's a vast place. 

I've only been to seahouses on the coast, I've heard good stuff about Bamburgh and other places further up the coast, like I said I need to get back up there,  any recommendations gratefully received

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Not in Crawley said:

Corrected.

I do like parts of it but I could never live there, I like having a decent summer and a winter that doesn't freeze your bollocks off.

How’s the sun and warmth today down south ?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ghana White said:

I've only been to seahouses on the coast, I've heard good stuff about Bamburgh and other places further up the coast, like I said I need to get back up there,  any recommendations gratefully received

Bamburgh has one of the finest cricket backdrops in the country

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Site Supporter
1 hour ago, Ghana White said:

I've only been to seahouses on the coast, I've heard good stuff about Bamburgh and other places further up the coast, like I said I need to get back up there,  any recommendations gratefully received

Seahouses has got busier over the years, last time I went it wasn't as good.

Further up, find the ship Inn at Newton by the sea.

Obviously its closed at the moment, but its quite a place; you have to park up in the village and have a mooch along the beach to it. Lots of character.

Further down, a great walk from Embleton to Craster. Along beaches or through fields. Go past Dunstanburgh Castle ruin.

The jolly fisherman (I think) opposite the smoke House in Craster does good food (crab soup is top stuff).

Rothbury is a lovely area, with Cragside gardens if that floats your boat. Other national trust places too.

Great walking country.

Bamburgh Castle is impressive, but for fucks sake, dont take any pictures inside!

Doddington dairy does a some great local cheese, and is available in the area.

Wooler also a good base for walking (great butchers too), but there is so much space, its easy to get away from the crowds.

Rivers give fishing opportunities too.

Edited by Tonge moor green jacket
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

How’s the sun and warmth today down south ?

Ha ha - knew i'd draw you out to argue that scotland has better weather somehow...

Its lovely today, nice picturesque light snow, its not laying but on tree branches. All very nice. Just in time for another glorious summer hopefully. Even if it isn't, it'll still be warmer than your desolate outpost. A

Nah, I quite like scotland, my other hald was there for 15 years, but as I say its the weather than would put me off living there. I love the summers down here, you can camp from about mid March to mid Oct no bother. West coast winters are not something I'd like to live through.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

Ha ha - knew i'd draw you out to argue that scotland has better weather somehow...

Its lovely today, nice picturesque light snow, its not laying but on tree branches. All very nice. Just in time for another glorious summer hopefully. Even if it isn't, it'll still be warmer than your desolate outpost. A

Nah, I quite like scotland, my other hald was there for 15 years, but as I say its the weather than would put me off living there. I love the summers down here, you can camp from about mid March to mid Oct no bother. West coast winters are not something I'd like to live through.

 

Arguing? Better weather? Sorry did I miss a post from myself? Clearly so 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

Ha ha - knew i'd draw you out to argue that scotland has better weather somehow...

Its lovely today, nice picturesque light snow, its not laying but on tree branches. All very nice. Just in time for another glorious summer hopefully. Even if it isn't, it'll still be warmer than your desolate outpost. A

Nah, I quite like scotland, my other hald was there for 15 years, but as I say its the weather than would put me off living there. I love the summers down here, you can camp from about mid March to mid Oct no bother. West coast winters are not something I'd like to live through.

 

Scotland tends to have lovely weather in May, summat to do with the Gulf Stream.

No midgies then, either.

Edited by boltondiver
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Announcements


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.