Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Mad Building Sites.

leigh white

On a site for a good spell a while ago, we all stayed in digs in the area and frequented the pubs. Yates Wine Lodge had a load of offers on one night and the locals and the outsiders kicked off in the bar over some wench. Back to work the day after, and it kicked off good style on the site with the locals what worked there. All good fun.

We had a QS in his thirties who started giving it large, mainly on me as the 60 odd "old-timer" I'd had enough after he was going on about working out at the gym and how fit he was compared to the old duffers (me).

Chucked his gym bag into the yard, poured half a can of petrol on it and threw a match in. Streak of piss didn't know what to do, he'd crossed a Boltoner for the first time. He should have smacked me and I would have taken it with grace.

A mate of mine did his apprenticeship with Seddons donkeys years ago.  There was an older bloke who used to take liberties with them, cuffing em round the back of the head, grabbing them by the throat if they didnt respond quickly enough to him.

My mate was only 16 but a snapper and he shocked everyone, including the bloke, when he smacked him in the mouth.  He took a few back but the bloke left him alone after that. 

I think the nearest thing I did to that was giving someone the v's behind their back in the canteen!  

1 hour ago, Good Knee said:

Nor been on building sites for a while and have no intention of going back, used to love the banter and having lots of laughs back in the day, then Elf un fucking Safety rocked up and ruined everything. 

To be fair deaths on sites have fallen from 10/100k to 1.7/100k since the 80s so they only ruined it for a few. 

1 hour ago, Good Knee said:

Nor been on building sites for a while and have no intention of going back, used to love the banter and having lots of laughs back in the day, then Elf un fucking Safety rocked up and ruined everything. 

Safety Officer when I was on the Reebok collared me in the car park and asked me if my boots were steely's... kicked him on the shin to demonstrate 🙂

33 minutes ago, Dimron said:

Safety Officer when I was on the Reebok collared me in the car park and asked me if my boots were steely's... kicked him on the shin to demonstrate 🙂

On a site at Man Vic. and had to change my hard hat to the peasant yellow colour because my blue hat clashed with somebody up the pecking order.

3 hours ago, leigh white said:

On a site at Man Vic. and had to change my hard hat to the peasant yellow colour because my blue hat clashed with somebody up the pecking order.

They want the hats to be the same colour as your CSCS card.

Completely pointless. I just want the job done properly and safely without needless hierarchy and silly colours.

My CSCS is out of date, does that mean I don't need to wear a hard hat?