Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Salary cap

W.cramp

Jeez, just watch Sunderland spend.

I always thought the actual size, making footballers at Div.3 & 4 levels on wages that could be earned in ordinary life was unnecessarily low.

... & the gap between 2 & 3 has been crazy.

There does need to be some limit though, related to turnover &/or ability to pay. 

BTW, I looked on BBC Football News on line. It was the 6th item. Below 4 right-on, equality based bllx. Puts us in our place.

Edited by Dr. Feelgood

Be interesting to see what they put in its place at the League meeting later in the week 

BBC report mentions reverting back to FFP and something called the salary cost management protocol 

Which in English means League 2 clubs can spend 55% of their turnover on salaries (60% in League 1 )

Given impact of Covid that sounds like pay cuts all round 

On 09/02/2021 at 17:25, Dr. Feelgood said:

Jeez, just watch Sunderland spend.

I always thought the actual size, making footballers at Div.3 & 4 levels on wages that could be earned in ordinary life was unnecessarily low.

... & the gap between 2 & 3 has been crazy.

There does need to be some limit though, related to turnover &/or ability to pay. 

BTW, I looked on BBC Football News on line. It was the 6th item. Below 4 right-on, equality based bllx. Puts us in our place.

That's coz it wasnt specifically about wimmin, race, disability or BLT"s. 

Anyway wage cap would never work.  Its communism dont you know?!!

On 10/02/2021 at 21:26, tomski said:

I’m a big fan of the cap. Think it worked in our favour massively. Not sure how we as a club will react to this

There’s no problem with a cap in principle tomski but it has to be based on more than just the league you’re in. Clubs with more resources can’t be limited to the same as those with limited resources, club turnover and fan base must be taken into account. We have aspirations of going much higher whereas most teams in L2 either don’t want to, or can’t afford to push higher. Restricting the amount we can pay to our best, or young players, just ensures we lose them to teams higher up. FV intend to run the club sustainably but should be allowed to invest in talent where they see fit, not held back by rules not fit for purpose.

11 hours ago, Whitesince63 said:

There’s no problem with a cap in principle tomski but it has to be based on more than just the league you’re in. Clubs with more resources can’t be limited to the same as those with limited resources, club turnover and fan base must be taken into account. We have aspirations of going much higher whereas most teams in L2 either don’t want to, or can’t afford to push higher. Restricting the amount we can pay to our best, or young players, just ensures we lose them to teams higher up. FV intend to run the club sustainably but should be allowed to invest in talent where they see fit, not held back by rules not fit for purpose.

I like the sentiment but the reality will be wank when you realise we have 9k fans and a small turnover. 

3 hours ago, Big E said:

I like the sentiment but the reality will be wank when you realise we have 9k fans and a small turnover. 

Well even 9k fans is three times as many as some of the clubs in L2 have and our turnover equally is massive compared to others, just look at the iFollow numbers as a start. I don’t know why some like you try to talk the club down. We’re at the lowest point in our history and still bigger in every respect than any other club in this division and most of those in the one above.

1 hour ago, Whitesince63 said:

Well even 9k fans is three times as many as some of the clubs in L2 have and our turnover equally is massive compared to others, just look at the iFollow numbers as a start. I don’t know why some like you try to talk the club down. We’re at the lowest point in our history and still bigger in every respect than any other club in this division and most of those in the one above.

It’s the reality. I am not talking us down but people think we can buy the league. That’s not how we operate / can operate 

I’m not talking about buying the league BigE, I’m talking about our capability to aspire to a higher level compared to most in this league but if we’re tied financially to the level of the lowest it’s unfair and unrealistic. Anyway, the caps been scrapped, rightly in my view and hopefully we can still run the club sustainably and succeed at the same time.