Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Switching support

Underpants

2 minutes ago, Rudy said:

Absolutely unforgivable, same as supporting two teams. 
If we would have gone pop I would have followed football but had no allegiance to any other team. 

Just would have followed local cricket more 

Not between October & March though...... 😮

Good day out at the cricket, looking forward to it re-starting in April - cmon the Spitfires!!!

I used to go watching Cambridge with my Cambridge supporting mate when they played up north. Also been Wembley 3 times watching them. But I don't give a shit if they win or lose. I just enjoyed the day out on the ale.....

Closest i've got to a 2nd team is my soft spot for Cov (going to many games at highfield with my housemate as well as my stint stewarding) even then i'm not sure i would manage more than my current occasional checking of their score if i'm looking the latest results up.

Probably go watching Swinton in the RL with my mates for the social aspect rather than the sport

2 hours ago, MickyD said:

I’ve been going to Bury on occasional shopping trips for around 25 years. There was, 25 years ago, a prevalence of United shirts on show around town. Nowadays you’re at least as likely, if not slightly more likely, to see city shirts and bench coats, hats, etc.

Bury don’t deserve a league club. 

I used to work with a Bury fan. His other club was fucking Arsenal for fuck’s sake!

Always been a City stronghold up Whitefield / Blackley way; city had a very active bunch from there as our lot found out in Manc city centre a few years back. 

That’s different to supporting both though.

If we’d gone bust I’d probably have gone to the odd Stockport game but you can’t properly support anyone else. Well maybe an excuse to get to Seville to watch Betis

• Site Supporter
25 minutes ago, Rudy said:

Absolutely unforgivable, same as supporting two teams. 
If we would have gone pop I would have followed football but had no allegiance to any other team. 

Just would have followed local cricket more 

Any team in particular

Even back in my days at Bury CofE High School there was only 3 kids in my entire year who were Bury fans.

United dominated the support with liverpool and city close behind, handfull of Bolton fans and a random assortment of others who's parents were from elsewhere.

The main difference was the Reds never actually went to games (if you exclude the forest fan who went with his dad home and away) so they'd be in school mouthing off about how their chosen team was so much better but they'd never witnessed the joy within a limbs moment of a last minute equaliser like those who actually went. That's what being a fan is about not sat watching on telly. I've hated this season because watching on telly/laptop is shit compared to being there. I'd rather watch a shit side in person with other fans than watch a winning side through the telly.

• Members
14 minutes ago, Alf Hartigan said:

Any team in particular

Hmmm not sure

8 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

Would’ve been the village surely. Best balcony in the north west of England on a sunny day with a cold beer 😎

We have a winner 😁

• Site Supporter
6 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

Would’ve been the village surely. Best balcony in the north west of England on a sunny day with a cold beer 😎

I've always followed local cricket through the BEN but never had a team.

Went watching a Lostock 20/20 a couple of summers ago, some good ale and refreshments on a sunny day.

Think they won too.

27 minutes ago, jules_darby said:

Always been a City stronghold up Whitefield / Blackley way; city had a very active bunch from there as our lot found out in Manc city centre a few years back. 

That’s different to supporting both though.

If we’d gone bust I’d probably have gone to the odd Stockport game but you can’t properly support anyone else. Well maybe an excuse to get to Seville to watch Betis

Whitefield is full of city few pubs run coaches to both home & away games most weeks 

I am absolutely flabbergasted by the amount of fans I’m coming across on Twitter from our division, who seemingly support their local team and a ‘big team’. 

Not being a tinpot club, we’re obviously not used to this nonsense.

If we’d folded I’d follow Chorley; probably more away days than home. Would never be the same mind. 

4 hours ago, tomski said:

Nailed on. Bury fans support the rags or Man City as well

If it wasn’t for the wanderers I’d of left football behind. I hate all other teams these days

I do have a second team though. ABU. I get as much of a buzz out of them winning as I do the whites

Spot on, T.

• Members
10 hours ago, Alf Hartigan said:

I've always followed local cricket through the BEN but never had a team.

Went watching a Lostock 20/20 a couple of summers ago, some good ale and refreshments on a sunny day.

Think they won too.

Think I’ll walk down in the summer and have a watch and catch a beer with you 

9 hours ago, BWFC_LOVE said:

I am absolutely flabbergasted by the amount of fans I’m coming across on Twitter from our division, who seemingly support their local team and a ‘big team’. 

Not being a tinpot club, we’re obviously not used to this nonsense.

If we’d folded I’d follow Chorley; probably more away days than home. Would never be the same mind. 

Opening game last season, I go into an off licence near the ground, bloke walks in with a Wycombe shirt on.  He had an Arsenal tattoo on his leg!