Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Switching support

Underpants

20 hours ago, tomski said:

Went to a Chorley game once. It was shit and I went to the pub. 

Winds me up on talksport when Dave from Essex is allowed a say about his beloved dmbs or just Goldstein. There is no stigma attached to their pathetic glory hunting and people allow them an opinion.

I suppose it’s the reaction they want.

poor lad. absolute shit hole 

4 hours ago, Pablo said:

Almost every Bolton fan I know "supported" another team when they was a kid, had the shirt etc.

Don’t be saying that some on here think that only happens in other towns 

4 hours ago, Pablo said:

Almost every Bolton fan I know "supported" another team when they was a kid, had the shirt etc.

I don't know your age but the concept of "a second club" wasn't even close to being the case in my youth. Not one tiny little bit.

If anyone had even suggested it the would have been 

a. Incredulity

b. Severe repercussions

I was a city fan growing up in the 70,s.as Francis Lee was my hero back in the day,even went to Wembley in 1970 with them in the league cup final to be honest I had never heard of

Bolton wanderers until my dads friend took us to watch Bolton at Blackburn about 1972/1973 I was about 9 years old I was hooked and in love, been a wanderer ever since if they had gone pop 18 months ago I would still be a wanderer as I am today maybe have gone to watch Chorley now and again. 

• Site Supporter
21 hours ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Agree completely.  I hate the fact that lockdown has made all "fans" equal, we all watch on TV, none of us have the "limbs" moments and none of us have the moral high ground of travelling and watching in the freezing cold.  If it goes on another year there's a danger it becomes "normal" to not attend and just cant happen.

But we’ll be safe in the knowledge that when we’re allowed, we’ll be heading to who knows where and they’ll still be sitting in their comfy chair.

As a kid my dad a blue took me Maine road went couple of games but never gelled with city, used to look at derby results but soon as I found Burnden park and BWFC at 10 that was it although went on my own to start with then slowly got to know some BWFC fans, in 76 we played that great Derby team in the 1/4 final, beat them at the baseball ground and that sealed it big time. 

9 hours ago, Pablo said:

I'm Bolton born, Bolton bred & proud... I have the tattoo to prove it.

The second team came in from living away, we were building our own house in the 90's so after a Saturday morning's graft we would just go down to Sincil Bank and watch Lincoln City and got into it... but as soon as we'd moved in the BWFC season tickets were brought just in time for the White Hot days.

So we still see LCFC  as a "second team", still in touch with some of the regulars there. The last time I saw BWFC was at Lincoln... at least I saw Darcy's debut goal, it was a belter.

• Site Supporter

As very young kids, many aren't particularly attached. 

Family were red and blue, but after moving over here as a toddler and growing up mainly playing football, it wasn't until late primary school that I started to gain an affinity for the club.

One lad at school played for the town team (or something) and a few of us ended up going to watch a training session at Bromwich Street.

Then my dad brought a couple of season tickets home from work, and that was that.

1 hour ago, Dimron said:

I'm Bolton born, Bolton bred & proud... I have the tattoo to prove it.

The second team came in from living away, we were building our own house in the 90's so after a Saturday morning's graft we would just go down to Sincil Bank and watch Lincoln City and got into it... but as soon as we'd moved in the BWFC season tickets were brought just in time for the White Hot days.

So we still see LCFC  as a "second team", still in touch with some of the regulars there. The last time I saw BWFC was at Lincoln... at least I saw Darcy's debut goal, it was a belter.

My brother has lived in Lincoln for about 25 years, we'd never played there in all that time and we were well up for it when we were finally in the same division last year.  Little did we think years ago that when we did meet, that we would be massive underdogs and would finish the season well below them.  I travelled over and we were gutted when it was called off.  I didn't get to the rearranged game but he did, with his 10 year old lad, so had the thrill of the Darcy moment if nothing else.  Never in all that time has it been suggested that Lincoln would be his 2nd club, he and my nephew are still only interested in BWFC.  

My dad was a Bolton fan. He took me to Burnden Park in the 56/57 season and I had a season ticket the next season and for many many more after even though I left Bolton in  1972.

Since then I have made friends with real supporters of several other clubs and tend to look at their results but merely for an interest point of view as I'm Bolton till I die.

3 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

My brother has lived in Lincoln for about 25 years, we'd never played there in all that time and we were well up for it when we were finally in the same division last year.  Little did we think years ago that when we did meet, that we would be massive underdogs and would finish the season well below them.  I travelled over and we were gutted when it was called off.  I didn't get to the rearranged game but he did, with his 10 year old lad, so had the thrill of the Darcy moment if nothing else.  Never in all that time has it been suggested that Lincoln would be his 2nd club, he and my nephew are still only interested in BWFC.  

Don't get me wrong, when I was sat in the St Andrews Stand when building my house I was still always looking out for the Bolton half time score and had my Burnden scarf wrapped around my neck. I was there in the away stand behind Aiden Davison in the FA cup second round.

I like Lincoln, having lived here since 1982 and I like the football club, I work and am friends with many of their supporters; I had to share a bloody car after the match with a load of LCFC after the Darcy game but my DNA is and will always be the Bolton.

Do I know your Brother?

There are a lot of Boltoners over here, Mayor Crumblehulme was Bolton, when I broke my elbow in a bike crash the surgeon who fixed it was a Boltoner who helped out at Lincoln City and Dean Crombie always made sure Lincoln United had our previous season's training kit.

6 minutes ago, Dimron said:

Don't get me wrong, when I was sat in the St Andrews Stand when building my house I was still always looking out for the Bolton half time score and had my Burnden scarf wrapped around my neck. I was there in the away stand behind Aiden Davison in the FA cup second round.

I like Lincoln, having lived here since 1982 and I like the football club, I work and am friends with many of their supporters; I had to share a bloody car after the match with a load of LCFC after the Darcy game but my DNA is and will always be the Bolton.

Do I know your Brother?

There are a lot of Boltoners over here, Mayor Crumblehulme was Bolton, when I broke my elbow in a bike crash the surgeon who fixed it was a Boltoner who helped out at Lincoln City and Dean Crombie always made sure Lincoln United had our previous season's training kit.

I went to that cup tie when Tomo, Brownie and Coyle scored, wierd tea time KO for Sky, but that was a couple of years before my brother moved there. 

Maybe unlikely you'd know him, moves in different circles to me, unless you've been to Lincoln Theatre Royal.  He is musical director of shows there (or was) and teaches music.  He's nothing like me, to say the least, but like you I really like Lincoln, great place with great pubs, feels chilled.  (His mate owns Imperial Teas on Steep Hill when he's not playing Jesus in Jesus Christ Superstar!).

One Christmas Day when I was about seven, I came downstairs in my new football strip.. red shirt, black shorts and BLUE socks 😳 asked my dad which team it was and he said “Manchester United I think” - so I was a scummer for a couple of years with a huge poster of George Best on my bedroom wall which my brothers used to throw darts at 😁

Then in 1972/73 my brother took me to my first game at Burnden, sat on the huge steps on the embankment v York City. We lost 0-1 but I was hooked and never returned to the dark side.

Good job I had an older brother to show me the right path..

• Site Supporter
13 hours ago, Underpants said:

Confession time. Bolton were me second choice 😱

On 10/02/2021 at 20:06, Underpants said:

There's plenty on here with second teams, be it political or other. But for the life of me I can not get my head around this second team thing.

So who were your first team who lost your support because of your lack of scruples?