Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Stevenage (H)

Burndens Bogs

1 minute ago, Ani said:

This league is about being the least shit, we do not have any world beaters, but no one else does. 

Doyle Fonz Maddison and West Spammer means we have 2 in midfield. 

I thought Thomason was excellent again today especially the amount of ground covered. Williams was doing a job. 

Yeah Thomason sprinting to close them down in injury time summed him up. Full of energy and enthusiasm and deffo got talent. Enjoyed that interview when he'd signed the new deal, just a kid living the dream and relishing it.

2 minutes ago, Burndens Bogs said:

Total bollocks imo. That reads like the summary from a man that would have been happier if we’d drawn or lost.

Grow up, some of you guys just can’t face the facts. After our goal we should have won that at a canter but once again, lose the initiative and any semblance of composure and do our best to lose the game. There were individual good performances, Santos and Baps but frankly the rest were poor yet again. 

Just now, Whitesince63 said:

You watched the match, take your rose tinted off and let’s just be honest. That second half was a disgrace and we were out passed, outfought and outthought and how they didn’t at least equalise is down purely to luck and bad finishing. 

The performance in the 2nd half wasn't great agreed , but your talking bollocks if you actually thought they were world beaters in the second half and that they totally outplayed us . Just absolute Crazy Talk. I ask again , How many efforts on goal did these world beaters achieve ?

4 minutes ago, BWFC_LOVE said:

Signs of a good team, taking an early lead, grinding out a win playing with ten men in tough weather conditions. 

Before the off I looked at our lineup and thought (although a bit heavy in attacking players), it would look more than capable in a division above. Especially with the strength in depth and players to come in. 

Thomason has really won me over in the last couple of games. Previously thought he was a bit slow to get it under, a bit unorthodox, perhaps lightweight and more of a luxury. He’s showing he can do a lot of the dirty work, and gets everywhere. 

Three points. Clean sheet. Happy Saturday. 

MOM for me 

6 minutes ago, paulhanley said:

Relieved at that.

So many of those players are new/fairly new. A lot of talent there but no real team cohesion. It's understandable given the rapid player turnover and its a result of poor recruitment last Summer and (obviously) the previous situations. Hopefully from here onward we become more settled and build a side who get to know each other.

in one.

5 minutes ago, BWFC_LOVE said:

Signs of a good team, taking an early lead, grinding out a win playing with ten men in tough weather conditions. 

Before the off I looked at our lineup and thought (although a bit heavy in attacking players), it would look more than capable in a division above. Especially with the strength in depth and players to come in. 

Thomason has really won me over in the last couple of games. Previously thought he was a bit slow to get it under, a bit unorthodox, perhaps lightweight and more of a luxury. He’s showing he can do a lot of the dirty work, and gets everywhere. 

Three points. Clean sheet. Happy Saturday. 

Thomason has impressed me a lot in the last few games , we just need a bit more positive attacking passing from him and we'll be in Business. 

1 minute ago, burnden said:

Frustration with this team for me is that we don't finish teams off when we are on top , we should have been done and dusted after the chances in the first half.  Hope it will come together and we do in future.

When we scored early I thought easy win and -1 bet up.

As it was, hanging on & £200 down the toilet.

Still happy with a win though.....

2 minutes ago, dusan nikolic said:

The performance in the 2nd half wasn't great agreed , but your talking bollocks if you actually thought they were world beaters in the second half and that they totally outplayed us . Just absolute Crazy Talk. I ask again , How many efforts on goal did these world beaters achieve ?

Dusan, I’m not saying they’re world beaters, or that they’re even any good but they still passed and moved better than we did, won most of the tackles and were very unlucky not to at least equalise. My point is, we can do far better with the players we now have but we still have this habit of surrendering the initiative in games. We did it against Morecambe and we did it again today. Even before the sending off we’d backed off them and we do it too often and it’s something Evatt needs to work on. Great to get 3 points but we have to do much better than this.

20 minutes ago, Biggish Dave said:

Behave. Gilks didn’t really have a save to make. I know their keeper didn’t either but to suggest they were miles better is embarrassing.

Its a wierd league this, it seems to be a feature of every game that keepers only make 1 or 2 saves, max.  Can anyone shoot?  Does anyone have a striker with some pace that gets beyond the centre backs?  Can anyone take a free kick with a bit of venom?  Get a goal, defend well and try not to get someone sent off and we can still win this crap league.

8 minutes ago, Whitesince63 said:

Grow up, some of you guys just can’t face the facts. After our goal we should have won that at a canter but once again, lose the initiative and any semblance of composure and do our best to lose the game. There were individual good performances, Santos and Baps but frankly the rest were poor yet again. 

The “facts” are that we won 1-0; the rest is your garbage opinion

wasnt great nor pretty but nowhere near as bad as you make out 

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Its a wierd league this, it seems to be a feature of every game that keepers only make 1 or 2 saves, max.  Can anyone shoot?  Does anyone have a striker with some pace that gets beyond the centre backs?  Can anyone take a free kick with a bit of venom?  Get a goal, defend well and try not to get someone sent off and we can still win this crap league.

Agreed. Apart from Crawley? I don’t really remember a keeper being great in any game

6 minutes ago, Whitesince63 said:

Dusan, I’m not saying they’re world beaters, or that they’re even any good but they still passed and moved better than we did, won most of the tackles and were very unlucky not to at least equalise. My point is, we can do far better with the players we now have but we still have this habit of surrendering the initiative in games. We did it against Morecambe and we did it again today. Even before the sending off we’d backed off them and we do it too often and it’s something Evatt needs to work on. Great to get 3 points but we have to do much better than this.

The post you made there makes more sense and apart from the bits about being out passed etc,  pretty much sums it up for the 2nd half . I personally thought we were both as bad as each other and quality was lacking all over the pitch .

Edited by dusan nikolic

• Site Supporter
16 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

My God though we’re a poor team.

17 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:
33 minutes ago, captainmed said:

Good summary.  We don't look like a team at all

We’re a developing team. Which is quite understandable seeing as we are  integrating 6/7 new (different) players into a relatively new formation.

If we were a “poor” team, or not looking like a team at all then we wouldn’t have won 7 points in 3 home games and held on to a battling 1-0 win today.

Painful watch that. That Baptiste and Santos were vying for MoM against them says everything about it. 

Scoring too early seemed to cause us to get a bit too arrogant and think we could toy with them, as a consequence we got casual and sloppy and let a poor side back into it.

All a bit too disjointed and shapeless, the expensive new parts weren't making the engine run any better and we were nowhere near as good as we were for an hour on Tues against a far better side

Thomason, bless him, the only one in front of back four who covered himself in any glory, struggled a bit last 15 maybe but up to then tremendous performance.

John is as decent as you'd hope at LB, good pace and quality 

Never a red for me, their lad had both feet off floor as he went in, Williams didn't and although his right foot looked a shade high it wasn't over the ball. He lacks pace though Williams, over short distances and that didn't help him.

Not much else to say really, 3 points but pretty underwhelming 90 minutes

8 minutes ago, Mr Grey said:

He needs a midfield destroyer at the side of him, an old experienced head, he was superb today, just shaded motm from Santos and Clinton Baptiste.

He's getting a lot better on the Physical side also  , starting to remind me of a young Mcateer with his movement/ build .

Edited by dusan nikolic

9 minutes ago, dusan nikolic said:

The post you made there makes more sense and apart from the bits about being out passed etc,  pretty much sums it up for the 2nd half . I personally thought we were both as bad as each other and quality was lacking all over the pitch .

Well that we can agree on 😉

Any win today was welcome in fact it was vital, factor in the conditions and that this is mainly a new group of players thrown together, we were bit disjointed and lack fluidity but we kept digging in and battling away. Very happy with the 3 points, the top 7 is in sight and a few more scrappy 1-0 wins  will do me just fine. 

7 minutes ago, Biggish Dave said:

Agreed. Apart from Crawley? I don’t really remember a keeper being great in any game

Cant disagree there the Crawley keeper did earn his wages that day.  That has to be the only one of note.  Gilks has made 3 or 4 very impressive saves but that's across about a dozen games!  Matthews was making 5 or 6 a game and still finding time to concede 2 or 3 in most games.  

I did rate Stevenage today and I'd be more than happy to have their right back and 2 central midfielders (Lines and Pett?) but I didn't even notice their strikers, if they had any.  

• Site Supporter
14 minutes ago, Biggish Dave said:

And Gilks’ first game or two but then again, Crellin was the datum from which we measure!